Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Cap Details + Links in First Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
For the life of me, I'll never understand why people want to move Jake away from Sid. That's just absolutely bat**** crazy to me. The dude produces at an all-world clip while playing with Sid (and vice versa), and you guys want to change that combo? People fabricated some sophomore slump last season while Jake was being tossed from line to line and playing 3C, but come playoff time when he's with Sid, the two produce at a level that simply overwhelms teams.

Of all the potential issues this team's facing, we should split up Sid and Jake for the Hell of it. :laugh: That combo should be locked in, set in stone and never changed. To suggest otherwise is just absurd.

Because some of them think Sheahan should have better linemates than Crosby.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
They're not going to trade Sprong just to trade Sprong, he's not at threat of being waived. If he's playing, he's going to be in the top-9. Him in the top-9 is the most likely scenario, followed by him being a healthy scratch.

It would be a shame if their obsession with Simon forced JR into making a bad decision with Sprong.

Reactions: AverageJoeFan

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
For the life of me, I'll never understand why people want to move Jake away from Sid. That's just absolutely bat**** crazy to me. The dude produces at an all-world clip while playing with Sid (and vice versa), and you guys want to change that combo? People fabricated some sophomore slump last season while Jake was being tossed from line to line and playing 3C, but come playoff time when he's with Sid, the two produce at a level that simply overwhelms teams.

Of all the potential issues this team's facing, we should split up Sid and Jake for the Hell of it. :laugh: That combo should be locked in, set in stone and never changed. To suggest otherwise is just absurd.

It should be obvious to everyone, but for some reason it isn't.

It's as simple as looking at Crosby's playoff production in the few runs before Guentzel started playing with him and the 2 since. That's our one duo that should be chiseled in stone.

Reactions: Jacob

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Once the contracts signed, why we signed him doesn't matter and for what money only matters for cap limits. If 4th line is best for the Team at any point that's where he should be.
Same thinking with Letang on PP1, if it's working fine, if not or better option is available he should not be on it, regardless of money being spent.

Who are we playing above him on the depth chart?

And why would you not want one of our best ES producers not getting much ice time?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Because some of them think Sheahan should have better linemates than Crosby.
I mean, I get the desire for depth. Depth is key. But splitting up arguably the best combination of players in the league just makes no sense to me.

We have the forward corps to have a deep lineup without shooting ourselves in the foot by doing something as asinine as splitting up Sid and Jake.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Guentzel - Crosby - Sprong
Hagelin - Malkin - Hornqvist
Rust - Brassard - Kessel
Grant - Sheahan - Cullen
Simon

That’s what I’d start with but I’m also not against Sprong on the 4th at least to start the year and moving Sheahan up to wing somewhere. Or Brass to wing and Sheahan to 3C. Opportunities will open up and even until they do playing with Cullen & Grant is far superior to Reaves & Rowney or Gladams.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Who are we playing above him on the depth chart?

And why would you not want one of our best ES producers not getting much ice time?
The point being the money shouldn't enter the equation. That's already done.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Guentzel - Crosby - Sprong
Hagelin - Malkin - Hornqvist
Rust - Brassard - Kessel
Grant - Sheahan - Cullen
Simon

That’s what I’d start with but I’m also not against Sprong on the 4th at least to start the year and moving Sheahan up to wing somewhere. Or Brass to wing and Sheahan to 3C. Opportunities will open up and even until they do playing with Cullen & Grant is far superior to Reaves & Rowney or Gladams.

Unfortunately I think the only way Simon doesn't get a jersey for opening night is if JR waives or trades him.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
What gets me is that during the two cup runs, not a single person had this new narrative that is being pushed about Kessel being a soft elite winger. Kessel doesn't start stuff but he's not shy of going to those areas and avoiding contact altogether.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
What gets me is that during the two cup runs, not a single person had this new narrative that is being pushed about Kessel being a soft elite winger. Kessel doesn't start stuff but he's not shy of going to those areas and avoiding contact altogether.

Yes he is. Phil might be the most risk-averse player left in professional hockey.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Do you guys think that Sprong will get any PP2 time? I want to see him ripping one timers from the left circle.
Since he and Rust are our only righties outside of Kessel & Horny who are stapled to PP1, I think Sprong will be a mainstay on PP2 along with Guentzel & Brassard.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
They're not going to trade Sprong just to trade Sprong, he's not at threat of being waived. If he's playing, he's going to be in the top-9. Him in the top-9 is the most likely scenario, followed by him being a healthy scratch.

Doubt it. The RW depth pretty much begs for him to be on the fourth line. Unless they move Rust to the LW which if they weren’t going to do in the Caps series, I don’t understand why they are going to do it now.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
The point being the money shouldn't enter the equation. That's already done.

What about the fact Rust has been our best in house developed forward after Jake?

Playing Rust in a fourth line role to appease a player they didn’t even put in the line-up last year makes little sense outside of a message board named “hockey futures”.

I don’t care what Rutherford said, he basically had the same lines about Pouliot before moving him out as what he has said about Sprong.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
What about the fact Rust has been our best in house developed forward after Jake?

Playing Rust in a fourth line role to appease a player they didn’t even put in the line-up last year makes little sense outside of a message board named “hockey futures”.

I don’t care what Rutherford said, he basically had the same lines about Pouliot before moving him out as what he has said about Sprong.

Should they put Rust on a 4th line to appease Simon?

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Rust is a 45 point player, he can’t be on the 4th. Hagelin will be there before Rust.

It's why you see him switch to LW often.
Sully will play him on LW.
JR prefers him on RW.

Think you'll see him on LW before 4th line RW.
And it makes a better 4 lines, imo.
But he's also an option on Sid's RW so...

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003

What about the fact this has no bearing whatsoever on my statement that what the guy gets paid should not be part of the going forward decision where to play him?
You are making arguments as to why he should not be on the fourth line...try making them based on how much he gets paid if you want to refute my point.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
What about the fact this has no bearing whatsoever on my statement that what the guy gets paid should not be part of the going forward decision where to play him?
You are making arguments as to why he should not be on the fourth line...try making them based on how much he gets paid if you want to refute my point.

Much like Johnson. Rust will be played in an elevated role because of his pay grade. Simple fact of the NHL, especially a team like the Pens.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Much like Johnson. Rust will be played in an elevated role because of his pay grade. Simple fact of the NHL, especially a team like the Pens.
Unless you are claiming he should be placed based on pay, because that is what they do, that's not a counterpoint...if you are...it's a very poor one.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think Cullen is clearly unable to handle a larger workload for a prolonged period of time but Sheahan is a good point. Rust being on L4 shouldn’t be impossible but him on the LW seems like such a simple solution.

Guentzel-Crosby-Hornqvist
Rust/Hagelin-Malkin-Sprong
Rust/Hagelin-Brassard-Kessel
Cullen-Sheahan-X

I think it’s likely they run into troubles with getting players enough minutes more than anything.

Cullen's workload was more than your standard L4 guy that year anyway - you could have run him as a L3 guy on 13:55 no worries. Just it made no sense for the team.

Hell, that 13:55 is more than Rust received that season, and Rust spent a good few games in the top 6.

I don't wanna bet on it but I don't see how its out of the question. Particularly when Cullen and Sheahan show that they can find more minutes for 4th liners they like. If Rust does hit the 4th line, I can see him getting a few minutes with the 1st line in defensive situations.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Doubt it. The RW depth pretty much begs for him to be on the fourth line. Unless they move Rust to the LW which if they weren’t going to do in the Caps series, I don’t understand why they are going to do it now.

Rust's a better option for the 4th line than Sprong largely because Rust would do better with more defensive linemates/minutes and less offensive sheltering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad