Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Cap Details + Links in First Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clatartar

Dec 28, 2014
Not to mention the fact they just gave him 3.5.
What's wrong with having a 3.5 million dollar 45 point 4th liner?
That's a sign of depth and puts us over the top so long as we're not creating weaknesses anywhere else.

Jake-Sid-someone
someone-Geno-Sprong
someone-someone-Phil
someone-someone-Rust

List of someone's available.
Horny, Hagelin, Brassard, Sheahan, Cullen, Grant, Simon, ZAR

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Rust is a 45 point player, he can’t be on the 4th. Hagelin will be there before Rust.

Guentzel, PH, Hagelin, Rust, Kessel are locked in top 9 guys.

If Sprong makes a case to move Rust to LW, great.

I see a lot of 4th liners and maybes beyond that.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
That's a sign of depth and puts us over the top so long as we're not creating weaknesses anywhere else.

Jake-Sid-someone
someone-Geno-Sprong
someone-someone-Phil
someone-someone-Rust

They paid Rust 3.5 on a four year term. That means they want him on the team, and he’s going to play in a way the demands top nine time.

In an abstract world where players are fine playing up and down the line up and don’t care about ice time I’m sure Rust could play on the 4th line.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

Jake-Sid-someone
someone-Geno-Sprong
someone-someone-Phil
someone-someone-Rust

Because you’re not going to get 3.5 mil of production from a guy playing on your 4th line.

Clatartar

Dec 28, 2014
Because you’re not going to get 3.5 mil of production from a guy playing on your 4th line.
Hagelin, Phil and Brassard are gone after this year.
A 4th line of Sheahan-Rust and Cullen/Grant/Simon/ZAR will produce as good as other teams 3rd lines. If utilized as an offensive 4th line and matched up against other teams 4th lines and 3rd pairs, they can out produce other teams 3rd lines.
What we want tho is a 4th line that can match up against the other teams 1st lines. Sheahan-Rust gives you that. It allows our stars to be stars.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Hagelin, Phil and Brassard are gone after this year.
A 4th line of Sheahan-Rust and Cullen/Grant/Simon/ZAR will produce as good as other teams 3rd lines. If utilized as an offensive 4th line and matched up against other teams 4th lines and 3rd pairs, they can out produce other teams 3rd lines.
What we want tho is a 4th line that can match up against the other teams 1st lines. Sheahan-Rust gives you that. It allows our stars to be stars.

There is no guarantee Phil or Hagelin is gone next year.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

No guarantee but they should let Hags leave and try to trade Phil. And I love both players.... but we need to be divesting ourselves of older forwards as Sid and G age or we’re not doing our best to keep their window open. This year imo is our best chance for another Cup. After that, if we keep playing the majority of our forwards at age 30 or over, we will be in trouble....

Clatartar

Dec 28, 2014
Hagelin will be a 30 year old ufa next July with 2-3 cups and a perceived value that is greater than his current contract. He has always been a complimentary 3rd wheel winger. He is Rust 3-4 years from now. Why hang on to something that is internally replace-able?

Phil... that's a debate I do not want to get into. We'll need to get some value out of him eventually. We cannot afford to lose him for nothing ala nyi and JT.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Hagelin will be a 30 year old ufa next July with 2-3 cups and a perceived value that is greater than his current contract. He has always been a complimentary 3rd wheel winger. He is Rust 3-4 years from now. Why hang on to something that is internally replace-able?

Phil... that's a debate I do not want to get into. We'll need to get some value out of him eventually. We cannot afford to lose him for nothing ala nyi and JT.

Phil is an easy hold onto when he has 4 years of term and fits Crosby and Malkin's window. Makes me go insane people want to get rid of one the most productive players in both the regular and playoff season.

I just don't get creating a huge hole you can't fill. Not even Sprong will get to Kessel's peaks, and we should be glad if he is only half the player Phil is. The Pens are still in that secondary filler player mode.

Phil will still be worth a good bit two seasons from now with 2 years left. That's the window I'd stay on.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
This board has become matchups obsessed.

Only so much ice time to go around folks. Rust isn’t putting up 45 pts from the 4th line. And that’s what we’re paying him to do now.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Cullen was a 51 point pace player away from the 4th line, and we moved Sheahan there after a prolonged 40 point pace at 3C. I don't see how Rust's production protects him from the 4th.

I think Cullen is clearly unable to handle a larger workload for a prolonged period of time but Sheahan is a good point. Rust being on L4 shouldn’t be impossible but him on the LW seems like such a simple solution.

Guentzel-Crosby-Hornqvist
Rust/Hagelin-Malkin-Sprong
Rust/Hagelin-Brassard-Kessel
Cullen-Sheahan-X

I think it’s likely they run into troubles with getting players enough minutes more than anything.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Also, it would be a good idea to give Sid and Geno a few extra shifts on the 4th line. Get those two favorable matchups, keep Cullen's minutes low, and get Sheahan-Rust/X extra minutes.

Speaking of that, they could also play them on the 3rd line and bump the 3LW down into Cullen's slot for a shift. Get Brass-3RW some extra minutes and manage Cullen's at the same time.

I expect Sully to get creative. The log jam will likely will be a non-issue once the season begins and the injuries start.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I think Cullen is clearly unable to handle a larger workload for a prolonged period of time but Sheahan is a good point. Rust being on L4 shouldn’t be impossible but him on the LW seems like such a simple solution.

Guentzel-Crosby-Hornqvist
Rust/Hagelin-Malkin-Sprong
Rust/Hagelin-Brassard-Kessel
Cullen-Sheahan-X

I think it’s likely they run into troubles with getting players enough minutes more than anything.

I know we want Sprong in the top nine, but like I said I think there is a better chance he is traded than that.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I know we want Sprong in the top nine, but like I said I think there is a better chance he is traded than that.

They're not going to trade Sprong just to trade Sprong, he's not at threat of being waived. If he's playing, he's going to be in the top-9. Him in the top-9 is the most likely scenario, followed by him being a healthy scratch.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
This board has become matchups obsessed.

Only so much ice time to go around folks. Rust isn’t putting up 45 pts from the 4th line. And that’s what we’re paying him to do now.
Once the contracts signed, why we signed him doesn't matter and for what money only matters for cap limits. If 4th line is best for the Team at any point that's where he should be.
Same thinking with Letang on PP1, if it's working fine, if not or better option is available he should not be on it, regardless of money being spent.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
He didn’t “sign”....it was the arbitration award....$5.5 mil and the Jets picked the term of one year likely because he’ll remain a RFA next year...he’s 24

There’s nothing to prove, it’s in Winnipeg’s best interest to sign him long term.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
There’s nothing to prove, it’s in Winnipeg’s best interest to sign him long term.

Yep but they couldn’t come to a deal and this gives them another year to work on that....maybe he wants to leave but they control that decision and they will for another year as well...it’s kinda like Bell’s situation with the Steelers....

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Worth keeping in mind that he's only played in more than 65 games once in his 5 season career. If he can't do that this year, it might be in the Jets' best interest to deal him.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
For the life of me, I'll never understand why people want to move Jake away from Sid. That's just absolutely batshit crazy to me. The dude produces at an all-world clip while playing with Sid (and vice versa), and you guys want to change that combo? People fabricated some sophomore slump last season while Jake was being tossed from line to line and playing 3C, but come playoff time when he's with Sid, the two produce at a level that simply overwhelms teams.

Of all the potential issues this team's facing, we should split up Sid and Jake for the Hell of it. :laugh: That combo should be locked in, set in stone and never changed. To suggest otherwise is just absurd.

Reactions: Warm Cookies
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad