Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building | Cap Details + Links in First Post | Phillin' Fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I'm a big hater on Phil right now, but I think it is more detrimental to this team's long term success to sort out the D this summer. # 1 issue is JJ. Which I think we all could've predicted..

Phil is a source of money ($6.8M) and potential assets to do the sorting out. The two things are linked.

Reactions: KIRK

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Based on his remaining term of 3 years, his net salary of 5.13 million per and still being relatively young at 31, I can see him being a nice pick up for a team needing a RH RW scorer with his pedigree. Makes sense to gain cap room and move him and a LH D man as well. Olli is my pick due to he will bring back a nice return.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I think going into next season a top four of Dumo - Letang / Pettersson - Gudbranson with a bottom pairing of X - Schultz is fine.

Fine, but not as good as it could be.

Let's keep our options open on spending the Kessel/Maatta money. If the "platonic ideal for Malkin winger" guy isn't out there, an impact PMD would be great as we've discussed before.

Reactions: KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Fine, but not as good as it could be.

Let's keep our options open on spending the Kessel/Maatta money. If the "platonic ideal for Malkin winger" guy isn't out there, an impact PMD would be great as we've discussed before.

This team desperately needs a second defenseman who can skate with the puck (like Daley could).

Reactions: 66-30-33 and NEPA

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
This team desperately needs a second defenseman who can skate with the puck (like Daley could).

Yeah. And following Geno the player like you do, I think it's pretty questionable whether he needs a skill-first guy like Zucker or Kessel versus 2 skilled-ish grinders like Rust/Teddy/McCann. Or Hornqvist. I don't want to see us overcommit to "replacing" that position and make a dumb decision, I'd like to see some B.P.A. type thinking here.

Reactions: KIRK and Ogrezilla

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Petts may improve in time, but he is not a guy you want with the puck. The problem is the Pens have so much money tied up on the D that adding is hard to add even moving Olli.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Petts may improve in time, but he is not a guy you want with the puck. The problem is the Pens have so much money tied up on the D that adding is hard to add even moving Olli.

I don't get caught up in the F/D/G distribution of money. It's annoying that we spend a lot on defense, but we have a much better track record of bringing up productive forwards on ELCs. Plus Sid/Jake combined is $25M worth of player that'll be making $15M.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Petts is 22. Dumoulin wasn't even an NHL regular until he was 24. I think Petts can and will improve, and his ceiling is probably around Dumoulin's.

As for cap distribution, it's troublesome that we have so much tied up in guys like JJ, Maatta and Gudbranson--though I have less issue with Gud than the others. If Gudbranson made like a million less, he'd be totally fine. That's sort of nitpicking now. Schultz's struggles are a huge issue as well--we could seriously use some of his transition and offensive ability. The blueline could do with some seriously retooling.

Sort of on the same point; we have nearly $38 million tied up in five guys rapidly approaching "The Decline" (Sid, Geno, Letang, Kessel, Horny), which is one of the reasons I've been saying I hope JR actively and aggressively pursues replacing Kessel this summer. Hornqvist is next on the list, but I think he's going to be a much more effective player than Kessel as age creeps up. Horny does things that don't show up on the stat sheet, and while you need your $5 million dollar guys to show up on the stat sheet, Hornqvist isn't a complete bum when he's not scoring.

Reactions: Riptide

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Pettersson's ceiling is higher than Dumo - probably won't reach it, but it is higher.

Also... he's a guy you can trust with the puck, a guy who does good things with it, but he's not a Daley substitute when it comes to the transition game. Very few are.

Reactions: Riptide

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Pettersson's ceiling is higher than Dumo - probably won't reach it, but it is higher.

Also... he's a guy you can trust with the puck, a guy who does good things with it, but he's not a Daley substitute when it comes to the transition game. Very few are.

Not sure if he has a higher ceiling, definitely an higher offensive ceiling though (I do think Dumo could score more points but it just isn't his game). Dumo can go up against teams best lines night in and night out while rarely making mistakes, which is very hard to do.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Don't know what games yinz are watching but Petts is just not good at carrying the puck in the middle of the ice. Almost all his passes are up the wall and his backhand has yet to be see as a solid move. But at 22 he can work on that to be better. Dumo is a far better skater and Petts just can;t come close to that asset.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I just don't see why we can't bring up the defense and be Predators-esque (but with Crosby & Malkin as our forward catalysts).

PMDs can generate so much offense. Look at how many breakouts Letang initiates that result in great chances instead of being reliant on throwing the puck up the boards randomly or the Murphy dump.

And I like Petterson. I like Schultz - though he has sucked recently. And I still would even if they were pushed down the pecking order.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Don't know what games yinz are watching but Petts is just not good at carrying the puck in the middle of the ice. Almost all his passes are up the wall and his backhand has yet to be see as a solid move. But at 22 he can work on that to be better. Dumo is a far better skater and Petts just can;t come close to that asset.

He’s carried arguably the two worst transistion players ( and in the league) on our team to looking competent.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Not sure if he has a higher ceiling, definitely an higher offensive ceiling though (I do think Dumo could score more points but it just isn't his game). Dumo can go up against teams best lines night in and night out while rarely making mistakes, which is very hard to do.

Pettersson could be just as good as Dumo defensively - he's more advanced at the same age. Probably won't be, but its possible.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002

He’s certainly better than Dumoulin was at the same age.

I don’t have an issue with Pettersson’s play with the puck. He generally makes smart decisions with it, and you can see when he’s on the PP that he’s got some decent offensive IQ. Maybe his first pass from deep in the zone is muffed every so often but I think that’s just gonna come with more experience.

Reactions: Riptide and Peat

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I enjoy reading all the discussions about the roster but ultimately I am a fan and damnit, I want to keep Phil. I enjoy him.

giphy.gif

Reactions: TooManyHumans

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
I enjoy reading all the discussions about the roster but ultimately I am a fan and damnit, I want to keep Phil. I enjoy him.

Right.....Because Phil is still extremely valuable. Hes on a great contract, He is an Iron man, and he puts the puck in the net (especially playoff time). You can dog on him all you want but on a bad year he is still putting up points. I get shit for talking about points but you know what.........points win games.

Reactions: TooManyHumans
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad