Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building | Cap Details + Links in First Post | Phillin' Fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I don’t think elevating Addison to a # 6 in the NHL in the next couple years is the Sprong treatment.

Hell, as I said I was fine with Sprong’s treatment. The issue was we had better players in Simon, ZAR, and Teddy.

I'm not referring to what we do/don't do with him, I'm referring to how he will likely be seen from a fan perspective that has little to do with his actual abilities and everything to do with his being one of our top prospects vs say if he was a prospect in Ottawa's system where they have Chabot, Jaros, Englund, Wolanin, Harpur at the NHL level all <24 and guys like Lajoie and Brannstrom in the minors (in addition to any unsigned prospects I'm unaware of). Here he will be the next Letang/Schultz regardless of how he's progressing... In Ottawa he'd be the next Simon - aka a nice thing to have, but nothing to get too excited over if it doesn't pan out.

Last edited:
Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I'm not referring to what we do/don't do with him, I'm referring to how he will likely be seen from a fan perspective that has little to do with his actual abilities and everything to do with his being one of our top prospects vs say if he was a prospect in Ottawa's system where they have Chabot, Jaros, Englund, Wolanin, Harpur at the NHL level all <24 and guys like Lajoie and Brannstrom in the minors (in addition to any unsigned prospects I'm unaware of). Here he will be the next Letang/Schultz regardless of how he's progressing... In Ottawa he'd be the next Simon - aka a nice thing to have, but nothing to get too excited over if it doesn't pan out.

Oh agreed.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Apparently the Caps' top RHD prospect won't sign with them. Hopefully the Pens have interest.
Chase Priskie
23yr old 6' 190lbs
2016 Rnd6 177OA pick
Quinnipiac University NCAA last four years, Captain last two...about a .75 point per game player there

He declined a contract in 2018 with the Caps to finish out college. If he isnt signed by Aug 15, he is UFA.

I highly doubt the Pens pull off a coup, though.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Free is free, so I'd be chasing every young college kid.

Yeah, free is always good even if they bust. You tried. Also if you get good at the college game then you wont really care about trading your picks that much because you didn't really lose your picks.

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
So we have a 1, 2 and 3 D - 58, 8, 4. Olli and MP are our 4-5. MP has done anywhere from an adequate to a great job carrying anchors this year and Olli can play to the level of his partner. I think, in the playoffs, you need to run :
3-58
8-4
28-44/73.

If you don't want to break up 8-58, you gotta move MP up with JShultz. I am expecting to be disappointed.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
So we have a 1, 2 and 3 D - 58, 8, 4. Olli and MP are our 4-5. MP has done anywhere from an adequate to a great job carrying anchors this year and Olli can play to the level of his partner. I think, in the playoffs, you need to run :
3-58
8-4
28-44/73.

If you don't want to break up 8-58, you gotta move MP up with JShultz. I am expecting to be disappointed.

If they do 8-58, 73-4 is the pair thats sorta drowning right now vs them and 28-44.

If everyones healthy, i'd either do:

8-58
3-4
28-44

or

3-58
8-4
28-44

#73 will be in tho and MP will probably sit...
But then 28-44 has played so much atm that maybe they don't wanna break that up so it's down to #3 or #73.
We still don't know if Dumo will be ready tho so...

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I honestly don’t think Oleksiak filling in for JJ this season would be any different. And if it is, you trade a 4th or a bottom four D that is a UFA. I.e. Luke Schenn, bring in a Dotchin, etc.
First, let me say this - I liked Jamie Oleksiak, I think the usage was what was f***ed.

Oleksiak's usage issue was that the team wanted him to be a Gudbranson type, or rather an Ian Cole type. Oleksiak is a massive PMD, not some punishing hitter that will murder people with his fists. The only thing he murdered was his face on Wilson's knuckles. But offensively, Oleksiak was fairly solid and it was a flame the team could have fanned a lot more. I think there was a 40pt defenseman in him. The guy also had a heavy shot and would have been solid on the powerplay if they used that a lot more too.

But, like Dallas before and after his stint with us - He is still being forced to be a player he isn't. It's clear as day when you watch Rig, he's a pmd. He's just not a defensive defenseman that is going to crush guys. He will sometimes, but I think he was severely misused and the poor kid is being put in that same spot in Dallas, again. He's typecast in a bad way.

Johnson was bizarre - This guy came with a heavy rep of just not being that good of a defenseman but always had the potential to be and at his age, it just was not going to happen.

So what happens when we get him? Pens try to use him as a type of player he isn't (oh shit, another one?) and then tried to use him on his off side and the guy was a defensive black hole. Pettersson made him salvageable and then he did start to play better for a stretch.

But better is not much of a leap here, we're talking the gutter to the top film of that gutter juice. I honestly don't give a flying f*** what Johnson does in the playoffs, I don't care if he has the SCF goal, JR needs to move his ass out and hitch Olli with that wagon out of town.

I honestly am 50/50 on Guds right now, I kind of like his game, I think he's the kind of partner that would let Pettersson explore more of his offensive game and that would be a good thing.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
First, let me say this - I liked Jamie Oleksiak, I think the usage was what was ****ed.

Oleksiak's usage issue was that the team wanted him to be a Gudbranson type, or rather an Ian Cole type. Oleksiak is a massive PMD, not some punishing hitter that will murder people with his fists. The only thing he murdered was his face on Wilson's knuckles. But offensively, Oleksiak was fairly solid and it was a flame the team could have fanned a lot more. I think there was a 40pt defenseman in him. The guy also had a heavy shot and would have been solid on the powerplay if they used that a lot more too.

But, like Dallas before and after his stint with us - He is still being forced to be a player he isn't. It's clear as day when you watch Rig, he's a pmd. He's just not a defensive defenseman that is going to crush guys. He will sometimes, but I think he was severely misused and the poor kid is being put in that same spot in Dallas, again. He's typecast in a bad way.

I liked my ex too at one point... but I was more than happy to see her leave when it was all said and done.

No, he's an OFD. The distinction might not be all that big considering most OFD are PMD, but with Oleksiak, there's actually a very big difference... Oleksiak can't pass the puck for shit and his vision offensively ranks about as high as Ruhwedel's. Him from the blueline in actually isn't that bad - as long as your expectations are that he drives the net or hammers a shot on net. Someone made the comment before about how much better he'd be if he was a winger, and it's true. He's not smart enough to be a blueliner in the DZ and his passing skills were barely better than Hainsey's.

That ultimately is why people expected him to use his size to his advantage - because nothing else he brought to the table was remotely close to being worth a roster spot once he wasn't dirt cheap. You essentially needed a player like Dumoulin to babysit him, otherwise he was bla. And if you have someone as good as Dumoulin, you don't anchor him to your #6D.

Reactions: Peat

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
If they do 8-58, 73-4 is the pair thats sorta drowning right now vs them and 28-44.

If everyones healthy, i'd either do:

8-58
3-4
28-44

or

3-58
8-4
28-44

#73 will be in tho and MP will probably sit...
But then 28-44 has played so much atm that maybe they don't wanna break that up so it's down to #3 or #73.
We still don't know if Dumo will be ready tho so...

No matter how many people hate on Ryan Wilson, he makes a compelling case for your D pairs...he also had a chart in his last blog that showed Scuderi in 2014-15 was better than JJ...of course he bases everything on analytics, which is limited, but still...it’s a valid assessment...and it explains Sid’s recent point drought too better than “coasting” does...

HockeyBuzz.com - Ryan Wilson - Penguins have a lot of potential heading into playoffs

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
No matter how many people hate on Ryan Wilson, he makes a compelling case for your D pairs...he also had a chart in his last blog that showed Scuderi in 2014-15 was better than JJ...of course he bases everything on analytics, which is limited, but still...it’s a valid assessment...and it explains Sid’s recent point drought too better than “coasting” does...

HockeyBuzz.com - Ryan Wilson - Penguins have a lot of potential heading into playoffs

Its because he bases everything on limited selective use of analytics; he gives every impression of having made his mind up and looking for the supporting numbers rather than going through and through the numbers and saying "Here's what they say".

Well. Partly that. I think that the extent to which Sid is coasting on the eye test is undeniable imo. The big Sid question is always "How much time does he spend behind the goal nets?". Sure, there's more to it, he shouldn't have gone this dry even with coasting, and looking at the dmen is always worthwhile when talking dry forwards... but he's deffo coasting. And speaking of hating on Wilson, I wish he'd given me stats for how much time Sid's spent with Johnson recently. Instead I have to dig for m... holy batman, those stats are ugly.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Its because he bases everything on limited selective use of analytics; he gives every impression of having made his mind up and looking for the supporting numbers rather than going through and through the numbers and saying "Here's what they say".

Well. Partly that. I think that the extent to which Sid is coasting on the eye test is undeniable imo. The big Sid question is always "How much time does he spend behind the goal nets?". Sure, there's more to it, he shouldn't have gone this dry even with coasting, and looking at the dmen is always worthwhile when talking dry forwards... but he's deffo coasting. And speaking of hating on Wilson, I wish he'd given me stats for how much time Sid's spent with Johnson recently. Instead I have to dig for m... holy batman, those stats are ugly.

Yeah, he’s not cherry picking the stats, they’re bad...of course the stats aren’t the be all end all but they’re relevant info...I’m not saying Sid hasn’t been coasting at times...I’m saying I think his lack of points and points cold streak has more to do with the D pair behind him and missing Letang than it has to do with the coasting...Letang returns and Sid gets three points is not purely coincidental...

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I liked my ex too at one point... but I was more than happy to see her leave when it was all said and done.

No, he's an OFD. The distinction might not be all that big considering most OFD are PMD, but with Oleksiak, there's actually a very big difference... Oleksiak can't pass the puck for **** and his vision offensively ranks about as high as Ruhwedel's. Him from the blueline in actually isn't that bad - as long as your expectations are that he drives the net or hammers a shot on net. Someone made the comment before about how much better he'd be if he was a winger, and it's true. He's not smart enough to be a blueliner in the DZ and his passing skills were barely better than Hainsey's.

That ultimately is why people expected him to use his size to his advantage - because nothing else he brought to the table was remotely close to being worth a roster spot once he wasn't dirt cheap. You essentially needed a player like Dumoulin to babysit him, otherwise he was bla. And if you have someone as good as Dumoulin, you don't anchor him to your #6D.
Ah I see you didn't post with rationale and dug in with the hate you had for him.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Oleksiak has 47 points in 243 games in the NHL. He's not, nor will he ever be, a 40 point blueliner. I figure we could've done worse, I didn't exactly revile the guy as a player, but we got Gudbranson anyway who has been better than Oleksiak at what's been asked of the two guys--albeit more expensive.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I'd be fine seeing any or all of JJ, Maatta and to a lesser extent Gudbranson replaced this summer. Schultz has also been El Stinko Gigante for what feels like the majority of this season. Our blueline is a mess, man. :laugh:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Oleksiak has 47 points in 243 games in the NHL. He's not, nor will he ever be, a 40 point blueliner. I figure we could've done worse, I didn't exactly revile the guy as a player, but we got Gudbranson anyway who has been better than Oleksiak at what's been asked of the two guys--albeit more expensive.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I'd be fine seeing any or all of JJ, Maatta and to a lesser extent Gudbranson replaced this summer. Schultz has also been El Stinko Gigante for what feels like the majority of this season. Our blueline is a mess, man. :laugh:

You'll get some crap for having a wording that puts Maatta and JJ as equal. And rightly so.

And you'll get some crap for the unrealistic nature of replacing everyone.

And you'll get some crap for pointing at Schultz considering what he's been through.

But the general idea that our defence just isn't great and that you can do wild things to it with little complaint is pretty mainstream right now I'd say.

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
lol just noticed the:
Phillin' Fine

in the thread title.

yeah for now! ...even with a bad season behind him 'cause we know The Phil has some left in his hot dog shaped tank but i'm starting to think we should ship him while he still has high value/potential to rise again before he inexorably falls for good, like a well flipped burger.

JR please move him in the offseason and if he does better to raise his value next season, let me eat crow wings.

wizmet12

wizmet1_2
Feb 19, 2014
I'm a big hater on Phil right now, but I think it is more detrimental to this team's long term success to sort out the D this summer. # 1 issue is JJ. Which I think we all could've predicted..

I don't get it, Phil is a game-winning goal leader this season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad