Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building | Cap Details + Links in First Post | Phillin' Fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Big wall of text, sorry. :laugh:

The most common thing I see when people discuss Phil is that they want to keep him because they like him and he scores points. Nobody hates Phil Kessel. He's immensely likable as a guy; he's the antithesis of a pro athlete. He's doofy, awkward, and just seems like a normal dude off the ice. Nobody wants him dealt because they don't like him. :laugh: Everyone loves Phil, even those of us that want him moved. But, like Fleury, it isn't about how much you like a guy--it's about putting this team in the best position to succeed now and moving forward. I know the MAF situation was a unique one, but the point is the same. You can't just hang on to a guy when it doesn't make sense to anymore simply because he's a fan favorite and likable.

Phil's another aging guy on a team with a huge portion of its cap allocated to aging guys. The big three cannot, and should not, ever be traded; Sid, Geno and Letang. Kessel's struggling, which is not the focus of these discussions, though it doesn't help. Streaky scorers like Kessel struggle from time to time, especially when you take into account just how much of an impact his mental state has on his game, but this is a preview of things to come and things are only going to get worse. Kessel isn't a guy you can look to trade once it's made apparent he's over the hill and declining rapidly, and I do think he will decline rapidly. Sure, he's still going to be relatively effective on the power play since he basically just plants roots and sits still anyway, but you really want to pay $7 million a year for an aging guy simply for his power play presence? Especially when we have Jake chomping at the bit to get top PP unit time.

I realize we're trying to win now and make the most of the Sid and Geno era, but I don't think moving on from Kessel ruins that. I really don't. I'm not even sure Kessel gives us a better chance to win on a shift by shift basis right now. You land a guy like Skinner and you've got a guy who can put up a similar number of points, way more of which appear at ES, and he's half a decade younger to boot. You land a guy like Dzingel and it's the same story--a more noticeable drop off in points but a guy who is going to be around for a long time and fits the same role and is miles better at ES. I think too much is made of Kessel's point totals and not enough is made of the fact that he's horrendous without the puck on his stick, and a complete defensive liability. The guy has essentially neutered Evgeni Malkin's effectiveness at ES for a calendar year more or less. It's hard to not think about how much better a spot we'd be in if we had a functioning second line at ES. Sid's line has carried this team all season, and our third line has gotten into a really nice groove recently in terms of pressure and possession. Our second line, with or without Geno, has been a dumpster all year. We got back to back Cups out of the Phil Kessel era, but it has pretty close to having run its course. The issue is, you can't wait for Kessel's play to completely fall off a cliff or you're left with a big contract that's going to be really difficult to move, if not impossible. "Hey, you want a $7 million dollar aging winger with frustration issues, that's bad defensively and doesn't score much at ES?" :laugh:

The bottom line is that we need to start worrying about getting younger around Sid and Geno. Kessel's the guy to go, because he's a huge chunk of change at nearly $7 million a year, he's struggled for pretty much a calendar year, he's making Geno's line absolutely miserable at ES (Kessel's a -20, Geno's a -25, and I know +/- isn't the end all, be all stat, but those are not insignificant numbers), and he seemingly refuses or is unable to play anywhere in the lineup but Geno's wing. I'd look to move Hornqvist next, but I don't think he's in the same boat as Kessel when it comes to urgency to make a decision regarding their future here. This team will see a big drop off in terms of how much of a contender they are in a handful of years, but I think if we build properly and keep the supporting cast several years younger than Sid and Geno, we'll be just fine. We won't be a top tier team, but hanging on to these guys for too long is how you become a bottom feeder real quick.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Based on his remaining term of 3 years, his net salary of 5.13 million per and still being relatively young at 31, I can see him being a nice pick up for a team needing a RH RW scorer with his pedigree. Makes sense to gain cap room and move him and a LH D man as well. Olli is my pick due to he will bring back a nice return.

How much cap room would we actually gain? Because A) odds are you're not moving him without getting salary back and B) you still need to replace him as we do not have the internal options to do so.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
That was a pretty well thought out post - not really a surprise that you couldn't critic the post vs the poster.
Nothing against you, just what you said.

PMD or OFD, we were both getting at the same thing, then the rest you just sort of let your hate for the guy take over which you do every time its someone you just can't stand. I can admit, a player I hate, has some redeeming qualities. But saying Oleksiak couldn't pass to save his life, etc, that was just some serious blinders on.

The guy had a one track mind with carrying the puck and hanging on to it too long and what not, but the team also flopped him LD and RD and couldn't commit. We complained to high heavens how so and so suck on their off side, like Dumoulin, and Oleksiak was no different. Previous coaches have talked about how moving him to the off side was a wrong thing.

Then our own f***ing brain trust brags about putting him there and it being the right thing. They did absolutely zero research. Hell, they even scouted him f***ing wrong as a type of player that he was, which is why it failed. Which is why so much shit has failed with their "experiments."

Dallas has their own issues, they're mishandling the f*** out of Honka and Oleksiak twice around.

That's like the Pens getting Matt Niskanen years ago and trying to make him a shut down defender. That's the kind of stupid they pulled with Oleksiak and then got rid of him as some numbers game. Johnson meanwhile, is an absolute turd of a player that they keep praising the f*** out of and the guy has cost us so many goals and games and yet he remains.

I thought Oleksiak could have been very useful as LD puck moving defenseman. The guy had a solid shot, was pretty solid as a LD, but then he was moved to RD and then paired with Maatta and Johnson and both were just sweaty hot ass all season.

Maatta literally needs to be with our elite defenseman to even be half useful. Johnson, we all actively have to try very hard to not be so negative about the guy. I wish we kept Oleksiak, honestly.

Dumoulin, Letang
Pettersson, Schultz
Oleksiak, Gudbranson

I would have that 10x over than Maatta and Johnsuck here.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
@66-30-33 - Fowler is a dream. We literally don't have the assets to land him and the assets the team might dangle, I am not a fan of this team ever losing for Fowler.

Unless by some miracle, Anaheim suddenly wanted Schultz + a prospect for Fowler (which makes no sense), it just doesn't work.

The Ducks recently traded Montour, Pettersson, and Vatanen. They literally can't afford to lose Fowler. Lindholm and Manson are good, but not good enough to be the only 2 decent guys on that D-Squad. To land Fowler, we'd have to dangle our 1st, Schultz, and Kasper or Hallander and to that I say f*** no. Schultz + 1st? Sure, I guess.

I absolutely do not move Bjorkqvist and Hallander. I don't care what people think about that, I am saying f*** that. Abso-f***ing-lutely f*** that. We need to inject more fresh blood into this team and those 2 are guys that can be some very f***ing good players for us. Hell, Kasper is a guy I am an extreme homer on, if you think I am an epic Rust fan boy, oh boy...my Kasper fandom is going to annoy the f*** out of everyone. That kid is going to be an absolute stud. Guentzel like stud.

Fowler is the guy you can have 100x over, in EA NHL 19.

Right.....Because Phil is still extremely valuable. Hes on a great contract, He is an Iron man, and he puts the puck in the net (especially playoff time). You can dog on him all you want but on a bad year he is still putting up points. I get **** for talking about points but you know what.........points win games.

I am not getting your post. You're arguing with a guy that likes Kessel and wants to keep him and your entire reply is that he's good and we should keep him but you act like he wants him gone?

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
The whole point in having Kessel is to win cups with Crosby/Malkin. If he's going to stop helping in that , move on. And the fact he is putting up good numbers is why We should trade. Dont wait til that falls off too.

If he was younger we could wait it out.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
@66-30-33 - Fowler is a dream. We literally don't have the assets to land him and the assets the team might dangle, I am not a fan of this team ever losing for Fowler.

Unless by some miracle, Anaheim suddenly wanted Schultz + a prospect for Fowler (which makes no sense), it just doesn't work.

The Ducks recently traded Montour, Pettersson, and Vatanen. They literally can't afford to lose Fowler. Lindholm and Manson are good, but not good enough to be the only 2 decent guys on that D-Squad. To land Fowler, we'd have to dangle our 1st, Schultz, and Kasper or Hallander and to that I say **** no. Schultz + 1st? Sure, I guess.

I absolutely do not move Bjorkqvist and Hallander. I don't care what people think about that, I am saying **** that. Abso-****ing-lutely **** that. We need to inject more fresh blood into this team and those 2 are guys that can be some very ****ing good players for us. Hell, Kasper is a guy I am an extreme homer on, if you think I am an epic Rust fan boy, oh boy...my Kasper fandom is going to annoy the **** out of everyone. That kid is going to be an absolute stud. Guentzel like stud.

Fowler is the guy you can have 100x over, in EA NHL 19.

I am not getting your post. You're arguing with a guy that likes Kessel and wants to keep him and your entire reply is that he's good and we should keep him but you act like he wants him gone?

Part I dont get is where some ignore how much of a liability he is. His points could be replaced. Guentzel on the PP. And 5 on 5 production would be better. Malkin would be better. We wouldn't have as many turnovers. We dont have another aging core player.

Guentzel would (already is imo) be our 3rd best player. He signed for a great deal and just scored 40. And with younger players coming up soon we can afford to hand out a bigger contract than what Kessel was making.

Way more than just looking at numbers. But that should still get us a solid return.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Part I dont get is where some ignore how much of a liability he is. His points could be replaced. Guentzel on the PP. And 5 on 5 production would be better. Malkin would be better. We wouldn't have as many turnovers. We dont have another aging core player.

Guentzel would (already is imo) be our 3rd best player. He signed for a great deal and just scored 40. And with younger players coming up soon we can afford to hand out a bigger contract than what Kessel was making.

Way more than just looking at numbers. But that should still get us a solid return.

Kessel being a liability defensively would be a huge issue if we had a bunch of other wingers that were also horrendous defensively. We don't. We're allowed to have a guilty pleasure, every team has one. To rid ourselves of one just so people can bitch and moan less is a bad way to go. Kessel is a highly productive winger, the guy "struggled" and finished 2nd on the team with 1.0ppg. That's on a bad year. Powerplay or not, that's still production.

Let's also not forget his playoff production. People whined about last year, but we've had multiple years where Sid or Geno sleep walked through the playoffs. Yet we can only complain incessantly about Kessel?

Listen, I get why people want Kessel gone, but I also think some of the reasons are invalid. I think you move Kessel if there's an offer on the table that prolongs the teams window, then you do it. But if you're purely doing it for cap reasons...you're gonna have a bad time.

Because we got a freaking ppg player that produces well and in the playoffs and is one of the most productive wingers in the Crosby era, easily top 5. We got him at 800k more than what this team is now paying Guentzel.

The issue here isn't that Kessel is a liability, it's that this coaching staff only has blinders on for where to put Kessel. The team can easily put him with Crosby and Jake, if you're (coaching staff) going to jerk off to the masses that Crosby is a Selke caliber god, then you should be fine putting a guy like Kessel there and Jake isn't a half bad 2-way player, not great, but not bad either. So that should have been an option.

But this team, this f***ing team, only sees Kessel as Malkin's winger or on the 3rd line.

That, that right there, is f***ing ridiculous.

We could have seen this/still see this tried:

Guentzel, Crosby, Kessel
McCann, Malkin, Hornqvist/Rust
Simon, Bjugstad, Hornqvist/Rust
Blueger/Johnson/Cullen, Cullen/Blueger, Johnson/Wilson

You know what's going to happen when/if we get knocked out? People will stumble over themselves to blame Letang, Kessel, Johnson, or Murray or some player.

But never the coaching staff. God forbid their dumb ass choices be the reason.

Reactions: 3ladesof5teel

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Kessel being a liability defensively would be a huge issue if we had a bunch of other wingers that were also horrendous defensively. We don't. We're allowed to have a guilty pleasure, every team has one. To rid ourselves of one just so people can ***** and moan less is a bad way to go. Kessel is a highly productive winger, the guy "struggled" and finished 2nd on the team with 1.0ppg. That's on a bad year. Powerplay or not, that's still production.

Let's also not forget his playoff production. People whined about last year, but we've had multiple years where Sid or Geno sleep walked through the playoffs. Yet we can only complain incessantly about Kessel?

Listen, I get why people want Kessel gone, but I also think some of the reasons are invalid. I think you move Kessel if there's an offer on the table that prolongs the teams window, then you do it. But if you're purely doing it for cap reasons...you're gonna have a bad time.

Because we got a freaking ppg player that produces well and in the playoffs and is one of the most productive wingers in the Crosby era, easily top 5. We got him at 800k more than what this team is now paying Guentzel.

The issue here isn't that Kessel is a liability, it's that this coaching staff only has blinders on for where to put Kessel. The team can easily put him with Crosby and Jake, if you're (coaching staff) going to jerk off to the masses that Crosby is a Selke caliber god, then you should be fine putting a guy like Kessel there and Jake isn't a half bad 2-way player, not great, but not bad either. So that should have been an option.

But this team, this ****ing team, only sees Kessel as Malkin's winger or on the 3rd line.

That, that right there, is ****ing ridiculous.

We could have seen this/still see this tried:

Guentzel, Crosby, Kessel
McCann, Malkin, Hornqvist/Rust
Simon, Bjugstad, Hornqvist/Rust
Blueger/Johnson/Cullen, Cullen/Blueger, Johnson/Wilson

You know what's going to happen when/if we get knocked out? People will stumble over themselves to blame Letang, Kessel, Johnson, or Murray or some player.

But never the coaching staff. God forbid their dumb ass choices be the reason.

I get most of that, but if a line of Rust - Malkin - Kessel cant be a threat every time out there then there is a problem.

And I dont think Sid would be able to handle Phil for long periods of time. We know he likes hard workers.

Btw this is McCann's first playoff run, and only 22 years old. Id keep him on first line so he can get that confidence. Same way Guentzel did. We are used to just about all of our players stepping up come playoff time but we dont know if McCann is that type yet(he should be). Bjugstad only played in one series so far, putting up 2g 2a in 5 games (+6). Hopefully both guys add that energy we are going to need.

Hornqvist usually steps up come playoffs. Will Simon do better than last year so they can keep the 3rd line together? Will PH go back to line 1? McCann either going to line 3 to add scoring or line 2 if Kessel gets pushed to line 3? Its great we have options and i think with it being the playoffs , Sully has no problem making switches.

If we are struggling to score for example..could go with...

Guentzel - Crosby - Hornqvist
McCann - Malkin - Rust
Blueger - Bjugstad - Kessel
Simon - Cullen - ZAR

Line 1 always works. Line 2 would make Geno happy. Line 3 gives Phil a rookie who is responsible defensively and a Center who is as well , and both will come with high energy. That could be what gets Kessel going.

We keep seeing Bjugstad score here and there but I still dont think hes being surrounded by the best possible players to get the most out of him. Sully was scarred by the Kessel / Brass combo he wont try these two together. I think they can gel.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Nothing against you, just what you said.

PMD or OFD, we were both getting at the same thing, then the rest you just sort of let your hate for the guy take over which you do every time its someone you just can't stand. I can admit, a player I hate, has some redeeming qualities. But saying Oleksiak couldn't pass to save his life, etc, that was just some serious blinders on.

PMD and OFD are very definitely not getting at the same thing. You can't be a PMD if you're a bad passer and Oleksiak was a bad passer. Did a lot of things well, but not that. Fair enough if you disagree, but you can't read that and then say someone is getting at the same thing as you where you say he's a PMD.

The Ducks recently traded Montour, Pettersson, and Vatanen. They literally can't afford to lose Fowler.

Anaheim fans seem pretty sure he's on the trade block.

Why would you put Kessel with Crosby when Sid actively hates it and cheaper players make the line just as good?

Not to mention that being a Selke calibre player doesn't mean you can carry defensive liabilities. Look at Barkov and his -23.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Sid also wants Rust or Simon as his wingers. Maybe Sid should shut the **** up and play.

Sid has historically been better with both guys than he has been with Kessel. So maybe definitely he's right to prefer playing with them than with Kessel.

And maybe definitely the coaches are right to not put Kessel in the spot where he'd have the least positive impact compared to the other guys who'd play there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad