Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building (Cap Details in First Post) | Roster Freeze Ends 12:01am Dec 28

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
If JR trades Brassard, he better have a side deal worked out to acquire a center. We will have no shot with Cullen, Grant or Sheahan playing prime minutes.

Maybe Maatta could land us a less talented Brassard? But it would be a huge mistake to go into the playoffs with any of the 3 duds we have at center right playing 3C.
like I said, we should only move Brassard if we know we aren't making the playoffs. And at that point, I don't care about replacing him before the off-season. But yeah, regardless of when we trade Brassard (or let him walk this summer) JR certainly needs to replace him before we play meaningful games again.

I'm not sure we won't move him btw. I think we might. I just don't think we should.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
So, your real argument is that you want JR to make awful moves in season not just summer?
I just don’t understand this mentality that this is a repositioning season. So you are going to trade Brassard for scraps and label it repositioning?
What will change between now and next December? Test the market for DB, but don’t sell low because we have no back up options.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I am not sure why we need a 3c this year if we trade Brass (unless we are talking about a long term piece for Maatta, etc). This team probably wouldn’t win the cup even if we were able to pull off a couple of the pipe dream 3c trades that are regularly posted here. If the team wants to have any chance at another run in the Sid / Geno era they need to treat this as a repositioning year.

Well there’s still a few weeks to figure out if we can contend this year...imo we can’t as we’re now constructed (even if everyone except Schultz was healthy) unless the goaltending continues its improvement and we pick up a top 4 PMD....but I do think we could win the Cup with a couple moves depending on what they are...if those moves aren’t there, then I’m in favor of selling off Brass, Maatta and Phil....I don’t see much point in making the POs knowing we can’t compete with WSH and TB to win the East

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Well there’s still a few weeks to figure out if we can contend this year...imo we can’t as we’re now constructed (even if everyone except Schultz was healthy) unless the goaltending continues its improvement and we pick up a top 4 PMD....but I do think we could win the Cup with a couple moves depending on what they are...if those moves aren’t there, then I’m in favor of selling off Brass, Maatta and Phil....I don’t see much point in making the POs knowing we can’t compete with WSH and TB to win the East

I'm really interested in seeing Washington in the playoffs this year.

They look really, really good right now.

I think our stars can beat Tampa and Washington. I wouldn't bet on it, but it wouldn't surprise me either.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I just don’t understand this mentality that this is a repositioning season. So you are going to trade Brassard for scraps and label it repositioning?
What will change between now and next December? Test the market for DB, but don’t sell low because we have no back up options.

Strange, I thought you were advocating a ditching of Brassard at any cost.

I agree he needs to move. I doubt HE brings a 3C. So HE gonna have to be crafty.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
There are some situations where I think it makes sense to move Brassard, but I'd be more inclined to acquire a long term 3C and have him as a winger for the rest of this year. Brassard may not have worked here as a 3C, but you can still try to find a spot for him in the top-9 as a winger. They should only move him if they're getting something that helps them win today.

Try to do something like Maatta to Montreal for Danault and Oleksiak and a 1st to LAK for Muzzin. Run with:

Guentzel-Crosby-Simon
Brassard-Malkin-Hornqvist
Pearson-Danault-Kessel
ZAR-Cullen-Rust

Dumoulin-Letang
Muzzin-Schultz
Pettersson-Johnson (or Johnson-Riikola)

Reactions: Riptide

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

I think our stars can beat Tampa and Washington. I wouldn't bet on it, but it wouldn't surprise me either.

Yes, I don’t see any other teams in the East that can compete right now with WSH and TB...could see both easily being in the ECF....honestly, we were a better team last year and we couldn’t beat WSH, and they look even better, but things can change by February or March...if we can make a couple successful trades and Murray plays really well, I could see us doing it

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Yes, I don’t see any other teams in the East that can compete right now with WSH and TB...could see both easily being in the ECF....honestly, we were a better team last year and we couldn’t beat WSH, and they look even better, but things can change by February or March...if we can make a couple successful trades and Murray plays really well, I could see us doing it

I'm not sure we were a better team last year.

We actually have a better record through this season then we did last.

If Simon and Hornqvist are back and our fourth line continues to produce, I think we see the Pens go on a little run.

Depends on how long Letang is out.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

That's the thing with this team. We're certainly not the best team in the league. But we weren't in 2017 either. Or probably 2009. But our best players are good enough that you can't count us out against anyone. So when we think about wanting to make moves for the future because we don't have a great chance of a Cup this year, I don't think I like it. Trading Brassard this year would help us build for the future. But if Sid and Geno are another couple of year's older by the time that guy is helping, is it worth it? The answer is obviously "I have no idea" :laugh: Personally, I would rather bet on Sid, Geno, Phil, and Letang right now than bet on a draft pick turning in to something that can help us in the future.

I only make moves for the future like that if we aren't in a playoff spot leading up to the deadline.

Reactions: Peat and Riptide

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

If Simon and Hornqvist are back and our fourth line continues to produce, I think we see the Pens go on a little run.

By one point, lol...we were healthier last year though not at PO time...again, the reason I don’t think we’re as good has to do with goaltending, but it’s coming around...can it be consistently good? We’ll see...

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
By one point, lol...we were healthier last year though not at PO time...again, the reason I don’t think we’re as good has to do with goaltending, but it’s coming around...can it be consistently good? We’ll see...

I think the big difference is our extra D. Cole was very bad until around mid January last year. Riikola, Ruh and Petterson now are all very capable D that fit the system. Hunwick, Cole, Ruh was just ugly.

Which is funny, because our D in terms of paper definitely is worse.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Just as an aside, something I've found really interesting is how much they've increased Oleksiak's ice time recently. He hasn't been good in those minutes, his CF%Rel is 2nd worst among Penguins defensemen and is legitimately terrible, but he's 3rd in ES ice time per game among Penguins defensemen and is 2 minutes above 4th. Last night, he was the Penguins #2 defensemen in ice time. It's just something I find interesting, because it may shed some light on how the Penguins are viewing Oleksiak, Maatta and Johnson.

I'm just really curious to see what they do with the defense. JR is obviously interested in improving the D, seeing how he has been connected to all of Montour, Martinez and Muzzin and has already acquired Pettersson. There are only so many spots on defense though, so how are you going to have the roster spots for all of those guys?

Last edited:

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Sullivan better be long gone if this team isn’t in the playoff hunt playing in the worst division in the league at the deadline.

I don’t think we will he out of it in 2 months because of this crappy division. Sully is lucky we are in the metro.

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
The increased scope of responsibility for Oleksiak is mind boggling.

And I'm mostly a fan of his.

But second pair with f***ing Maatta??? Who babysits who?

Reactions: Andy99 and ColePens

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Sullivan better be long gone if this team isn’t in the playoff hunt playing in the worst division in the league at the deadline.

I don’t think we will he out of it in 2 months because of this crappy division. Sully is lucky we are in the metro.

Why is it always on the coach and not on the players? Granted Sully isn't getting off with no blame, but the majority of the issues are right there in that locker room.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

And if Malkin gets it together.

It seems like they can't all be playing well at the same time.

First it was Malkin playing great.
Then it was Crosby and Guentzel.
Then the bottom 6 tried carrying them for a few games.
Now it is Crosby and some of the role players like Rust, ZAR, Cullen, etc.

If they could get all the lines going at the same time, they could really start stacking some wins.

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
And if Malkin gets it together.

It seems like they can't all be playing well at the same time.

First it was Malkin playing great.
Then it was Crosby and Guentzel.
Then the bottom 6 tried carrying them for a few games.
Now it is Crosby and some of the role players like Rust, ZAR, Cullen, etc.

If they could get all the lines going at the same time, they could really start stacking some wins.

This team is the Highlander.

There can be only one!

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Why is it always on the coach and not on the players? Granted Sully isn't getting off with no blame, but the majority of the issues are right there in that locker room.
At some point Sully will need to shoulder the blame. You aren’t going to trade Sid or Geno.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I must give Johnson Someeeee credit. Ever since Pettersson got paired with him, he's looked like an okay #6.

I just noticed something, Johnson is a +6 in the 7 games and has only been on the ice for 2 goals against since the Penguins acquired Pettersson. If that pair can continue that, they would be a fantastic bottom pair.

I do think they're playing at an unsustainable level in terms of not being scored on,though. They're not doing all that well at limiting chances, they're just not getting scored on.

Reactions: Badfish87

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I just noticed something, Johnson is a +6 in the 7 games and has only been on the ice for 2 goals against since the Penguins acquired Pettersson. If that pair can continue that, they would be a fantastic bottom pair.

I do think they're playing at an unsustainable level in terms of not being scored on,though. They're not doing all that well at limiting chances, they're just not getting scored on.

Johnson still having those awful plays but Pettersson has done a good job covering.

Both have had clunkers though. But if they play like this, it should be fine. And I like Johnson on the PK.

I'd take Oleksiak out for Jusso. Johnson atleast PKs. Oleksiak does nothing really, if he PKed atleast he would bring something of usefulness.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The increased scope of responsibility for Oleksiak is mind boggling.

And I'm mostly a fan of his.

But second pair with ****ing Maatta??? Who babysits who?

Considering the other options, is it really that mind boggling? It's not like we're Nashville and the coaches are playing him ahead of Josi, Subban, Ekholm or Ellis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad