Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building (Cap Details in First Post) | Roster Freeze Ends 12:01am Dec 28

Status
Not open for further replies.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
As someone stated earlier Montour probably wasn't on the table any more while the Ducks were out east last and beat everyone pre MP deal.

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Brassard needs to go. If we can somehow unload him by the deadline for anything worth while, I’d do it. A playoff team would absolutely take a chance at Brassard tonthrow them over the top.

What could we get in return though is the question. It has to be worthwhile because if we manage to squeak into the yoffs, we’re gonna want Brassard rather than a pick or some piece that isn’t contributing NOW

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Just looking at teams that could use Brass:

For Sure:
CGY
CBJ
DET
MTL
WPG

The Maybe's:
ARI
CAR
EDM
NJ
STL
VAN
OTT

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Brassard needs to go. If we can somehow unload him by the deadline for anything worth while, I’d do it. A playoff team would absolutely take a chance at Brassard tonthrow them over the top.

What could we get in return though is the question. It has to be worthwhile because if we manage to squeak into the yoffs, we’re gonna want Brassard rather than a pick or some piece that isn’t contributing NOW
We would desperately need a center back in any trade. The last thing this team needs is more minutes from Riley Sheahan.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
We would desperately need a center back in any trade. The last thing this team needs is more minutes from Riley Sheahan.

Cullen, Grant or Sheahan are not awesome, but could be serviceable....Maybe...ugh...

What they need to do is get a couple more wins and get some WBS centers some NHL experience so if we need to call someone up later we can at least have guys who've seen NHL speed.

Crosby
Malkin
Sheahan
Grant
Cullen

Is terrifying if there's an injury, though.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Cullen, Grant or Sheahan are not awesome, but could be serviceable....Maybe...ugh...

What they need to do is get a couple more wins and get some WBS centers some NHL experience so if we need to call someone up later we can at least have guys who've seen NHL speed.

Crosby
Malkin
Sheahan
Grant
Cullen

Is terrifying if there's an injury, though.
We did the whole Sheahan playing above his ability thing last year and it wasn’t fun. Cullen was brought in to play 4C or 4LW and Grant was a depth signing. The 2-line team didn’t work last year. Oftentimes, DB is the only respectable player in our bottom six.

Reactions: EightyOne

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
We did the whole Sheahan playing above his ability thing last year and it wasn’t fun. Cullen was brought in to play 4C or 4LW and Grant was a depth signing. The 2-line team didn’t work last year. Oftentimes, DB is the only respectable player in our bottom six.

I know. It just really hamstrings the options of trading Brassard if the expectation is another C who is better than the bottom three centers here back.

Like no team is going to lateral you a useful center for an UFA rental center...right?

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I know. It just really hamstrings the options of trading Brassard if the expectation is another C who is better than the bottom three centers here back.

Like no team is going to lateral you a useful center for an UFA rental center...right?
The only way I can see it right now is something like Maatta/Big Rig + for a 3 C, and Brass for a D.

Reactions: EightyOne

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't think you'd have to bring back a 3C immediately if you're trading Brassard, because you have Sheahan who can be a stopgap there for the short run. You'd have to acquire a 3C before the trade deadline to be completely comfortable, but you still have a 3C if you move Brassard. It's just not a great one, unless he gets back to the level he was at last year (which he has been a lot better recently).

Reactions: Badfish87

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens have two cups, they don't need to go all in here. Trading Brassard is a must. Bringing back a RH D is needed but if Letang is back in a couple that can be later, JJ can't be moved and can be a decent fit. What ever happens this year will dictate the moves in the off season. But Kessel needs to go for cap space and has real value with a nice salary of 5.1 million for three years.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Pens have two cups, they don't need to go all in here. Trading Brassard is a must. Bringing back a RH D is needed but if Letang is back in a couple that can be later, JJ can't be moved and can be a decent fit. What ever happens this year will dictate the moves in the off season. But Kessel needs to go for cap space and has real value with a nice salary of 5.1 million for three years.
The idea that Kessel needs to go for cap space is just ridiculous.

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
Can someone go visit the bayou...and get some voodoo that spares Schultang and instead gives Johnson reason to miss games?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Brassard should only be moved if we miss the playoffs. Otherwise if Letang is healthy you try and make a run.

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
Brassard should only be moved if we miss the playoffs. Otherwise if Letang is healthy you try and make a run.

Like mathematically eliminated by the TDL or like what, ten, fifteen points out?

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
The idea of just "Dumping" Brassard for picks or trash is incredibly stupid. You don't just give top 6 Forwards away.

So unless he is Hurting the team with his play(He's not) just keep him and maybe he finds his game.

Now, if you can get a Top 4 Dman for him, trade him, but don't just give him away. There is no reason too, he's not signed for big money and isn't a bad player.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I thought last year was a retool year because of the bs excuse they were tired from 2 back to back cups? What is the excuse this season? A crap coach or bad moves by a GM? Rutherford needs to stop making terrible decisions in the off-season and we’d be fine.

The classic but but but we just won 2 cups so no one will be held accountable for the next 5 years excuse. Do you want another 2010-2014 string of wasted seasons, too?

lmfl123

Jan 25, 2015
I am not sure why we need a 3c this year if we trade Brass (unless we are talking about a long term piece for Maatta, etc). This team probably wouldn’t win the cup even if we were able to pull off a couple of the pipe dream 3c trades that are regularly posted here. If the team wants to have any chance at another run in the Sid / Geno era they need to treat this as a repositioning year.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I am not sure why we need a 3c this year if we trade Brass (unless we are talking about a long term piece for Maatta, etc). This team probably wouldn’t win the cup even if we were able to pull off a couple of the pipe dream 3c trades that are regularly posted here. If the team wants to have any chance at another run in the Sid / Geno era they need to treat this as a repositioning year.
Then what was last season??? Are we going to just sit around and wait for JR to stop making awful moves in the summer? We have no prospects coming up in the system? What are you waiting for?

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I thought last year was a retool year because of the bs excuse they were tired from 2 back to back cups? What is the excuse this season? A crap coach or bad moves by a GM? Rutherford needs to stop making terrible decisions in the off-season and we’d be fine.

The classic but but but we just won 2 cups so no one will be held accountable for the next 5 years excuse.
I don't think last year needs an excuse. We lost to a good team in the playoffs. They played better than us. It happens.

Right now we're in a playoff spot. I really hope we don't trade Brassard if we're looking to make a run this year. We're almost certainly a better team this year than we would be with whatever return he gets us. A Brassard trade would most likely be a move for the future.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
yeah, we weren't gonna win without Letang in 17 either. Shoulda made that a repositioning year.

Seriously though, every year where you have a chance, you take that chance. That's how this works. It's not going to work out every time, but it's what teams in our position do. Unless we're clearly missing the playoffs, we aren't selling.

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
Then what was last season??? Are we going to just sit around and wait for JR to stop making awful moves in the summer? We have no prospects coming up in the system? What are you waiting for?

So, your real argument is that you want JR to make awful moves in season not just summer?

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I don't think last year needs an excuse. We lost to a good team in the playoffs. They played better than us. It happens.

Right now we're in a playoff spot. I really hope we don't trade Brassard if we're looking to make a run this year. We're almost certainly a better team this year than we would be with whatever return he gets us. A Brassard trade would most likely be a move for the future.
If JR trades Brassard, he better have a side deal worked out to acquire a center. We will have no shot with Cullen, Grant or Sheahan playing prime minutes.

Maybe Maatta could land us a less talented Brassard? But it would be a huge mistake to go into the playoffs with any of the 3 duds we have at center right playing 3C.

Reactions: Ogrezilla
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad