Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building (Cap Details in First Post) | Roster Freeze Ends 12:01am Dec 28

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
If they're looking at Rust he's at least come around of late.

IF we can get decent value Maatta and Brassard. I think Maatta will be traded this season. We'll see.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
**** Martinez, ****, ****, Martinez,,...go big, real big.

Martinez would be a really underrated pickup. He's very Dumoulin like. Good on defense, not small (6-1, 210), good in transition and is okay offensively (past 4.5 seasons, has 37g/128pts in 323 games - good for a 9g/33pt pace). More importantly he can play either side, but is mainly a LHS RD. That means you can use him as a partner for Letang or Schultz, or move him to RD as needed. And his contract is really good with 2.5 years left at 4m.

Might not be a flashy name... but if we could move Maatta and end up with Martinez, our blueline gets significantly better - and remember this is someone saying that who's a fan of Maatta.

For Oleksiak? Done. We get out of the contract while getting a serviceable D back who we can let walk in the summer.

IF we can get decent value Maatta and Brassard. I think Maatta will be traded this season. We'll see.

I only think Maatta would be traded in season if it was for another D. I think Rutherford and his obsession around depth would be too hesitant to move him due to the question marks surrounding Schultz when he finally does return.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
My lack of faith in this team is so f***ing low these days.

GM that trades for players that are either crap or the coach uses idiotically, like what's even the point having any damn hope at this point. Just let them play this shit out, get bounced in the 1st round, then have the usual Phil Kessel trade rumors, but maybe this time he's name isn't the only one. Oh and along the way, complain about the surely forfeited #1 pick that JR wasted thinking Sully figured shit out when we were healthy, but he was wrong and also an idiot for moving that 1st.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Martinez would be a really underrated pickup. He's very Dumoulin like. Good on defense, not small (6-1, 210), good in transition and is okay offensively (past 4.5 seasons, has 37g/128pts in 323 games - good for a 9g/33pt pace). More importantly he can play either side, but is mainly a LHS RD. That means you can use him as a partner for Letang or Schultz, or move him to RD as needed. And his contract is really good with 2.5 years left at 4m.

Might not be a flashy name... but if we could move Maatta and end up with Martinez, our blueline gets significantly better - and remember this is someone saying that who's a fan of Maatta.

For Oleksiak? Done. We get out of the contract while getting a serviceable D back who we can let walk in the summer.

I only think Maatta would be traded in season if it was for another D. I think Rutherford and his obsession around depth would be too hesitant to move him due to the question marks surrounding Schultz when he finally does return.

I'd also be 100% ok moving Maatta for a guy that walks in the summer too. At this point, I'm looking at which contracts we can get out of. JJ would be on that list too, if you can send JJ and a 2nd to a team desperate, like stupid desperate, for Defensive help...do it.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
My lack of faith in this team is so ****ing low these days.

GM that trades for players that are either crap or the coach uses idiotically, like what's even the point having any damn hope at this point. Just let them play this **** out, get bounced in the 1st round, then have the usual Phil Kessel trade rumors, but maybe this time he's name isn't the only one. Oh and along the way, complain about the surely forfeited #1 pick that JR wasted thinking Sully figured **** out when we were healthy, but he was wrong and also an idiot for moving that 1st.

I feel like Kessel is gone for sure in the summer the way things have gone. We need to get younger. I imagine JR keeps Sid/Geno/Murray/Letang/Guentzel and moves other players to get younger and faster again.

He'll do kind of a mini retool that way. Not a full rebuild since the guys I named above aren't going anywhere I don't think. But the others? Could see it.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'd also be 100% ok moving Maatta for a guy that walks in the summer too. At this point, I'm looking at which contracts we can get out of. JJ would be on that list too, if you can send JJ and a 2nd to a team desperate, like stupid desperate, for Defensive help...do it.

I'd just like to see him move those guys for defensemen who can actually make a pass. Literally one skill is all I'm asking for.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I feel like Kessel is gone for sure in the summer the way things have gone. We need to get younger. I imagine JR keeps Sid/Geno/Murray/Letang/Guentzel and moves other players to get younger and faster again.

He'll do kind of a mini retool that way. Not a full rebuild since the guys I named above aren't going anywhere I don't think. But the others? Could see it.

Does it even matter with Sullivan and Recchi still behind the bench?

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Does it even matter with Sullivan and Recchi still behind the bench?

Yeah? If they stumble again next year, they'll be fired. I at least want a good roster in place either for Sullivan to actually do well with or for the next coach to have a good roster in place to succeed with.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
You mean stuff that Riikola can do and Prow possibly could if he ever got a shot? Nah.

More Pettersson, JJ, Oleksiak, and Maatta's mate!

There were some D who signed this summer at relatively similar salaries to Johnson, too, who would have been a better fit. De Haan and John Moore come to mind immediately.

And the Riikola thing is where I put the blame squarely on Sullivan. People can defend him to some extent with "he's only got so many options available", but that's one option that he's not using. No, putting Riikola in for any one of Maatta/Johnson/Oleksiak doesn't suddenly make the Pens equal to Nashville's defense, but it's a step in the right direction.

And that's not touching on his obsession with playing ZAR as a top nine forward.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
There were some D who signed this summer at relatively similar salaries to Johnson, too, who would have been a better fit. De Haan and John Moore come to mind immediately.

And the Riikola thing is where I put the blame squarely on Sullivan. People can defend him to some extent with "he's only got so many options available", but that's one option that he's not using. No, putting Riikola in for any one of Maatta/Johnson/Oleksiak doesn't suddenly make the Pens equal to Nashville's defense, but it's a step in the right direction.

And that's not touching on his obsession with playing ZAR as a top nine forward.

Moore is who I wanted, just a flat out better fit and we'd have more cap space to work with.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah? If they stumble again next year, they'll be fired. I at least want a good roster in place either for Sullivan to actually do well with or for the next coach to have a good roster in place to succeed with.
I would fire Sullivan based on this season, if he's out in the 1st round...Thanks for the 2 cups, good luck in Philly.

I would rather see this team hire a new coach, get a new staff in, review game tape, and get a proper game plan in during the summer and start fresh, properly. A change mid season, that has worked for us, but there's gonna be that one time they do it where it's not going to have the desired effect it did the last couple of times.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
When people bring up Kessel’s contract in the thought of spreading out the wealth just remember that Oleksiak, Johnson and Maatta make as much as Malkin and we spend every game hoping they are neutral impact at best.

Reactions: Peat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad