Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster building: "All of your Pittsburgh born players belong to us"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
For those that are putting a lot of fault on Sully's shoulders for not adjusting or playing to his roster's strengths, what would you have been happy with him doing?

Follow up; If you're firing Sully this summer, who are your potential replacements,
what strengths do they bring as a coach, and how do you think they'll get more out of his roster than Sully?

I'm only half being snarky. I'm genuinely curious to hear the other side of the story, because I think putting Sully above a multitude of other issues facing this team is just bat-**** crazy.

The only one worth anything that I'm aware of who's available is Dave Tippett. Stylistically, he's probably a little more like Trotz in that he likes his systems and plays a good defensive game. Quenneville and Vigneault are the only other two I like who might have been options, and neither are available due to having signed deals this spring.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I think he’d ideally like to stay a Pen and have Sully depart...he may decide Sully won’t last past next year and take those odds...(I hope)

Nah, purely a gut thing, but I think he's going to give them a couple of options where to trade him. The only question is whether he gives JR a way out if/when he doesn't get a deal he wants or if he turns the screws the JR and forces a trade (which he clearly can with a threat to spend a year in Russia without retiring).

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The only one worth anything that I'm aware of who's available is Dave Tippett. Stylistically, he's probably a little more like Trotz in that he likes his systems and plays a good defensive game. Quenneville and Vigneault are the only other two I like who might have been options, and neither are available due to having signed deals this spring.

The funny part about Tippett is he is terrible with youth so all of the criticism Sullivan gets about that (I know that isn’t you) would be further exemplified by Tippett.

I like Tippett or Lavy as the next coach.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Really, because I think we won them in 1991 and 1992 when Kunitz was 12-13...and wasn’t yet on the pee wee team

We also haven’t won a won a Cup in the last 10 years without MAF...we must go get him!
#Facts

So we agree that to achieve our greatness again we must re employ kunitz and maf

Reactions: Andy99

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
For those that are putting a lot of fault on Sully's shoulders for not adjusting or playing to his roster's strengths, what would you have been happy with him doing?

Follow up; If you're firing Sully this summer, who are your potential replacements, what strengths do they bring as a coach, and how do you think they'll get more out of his roster than Sully?

I'm only half being snarky. I'm genuinely curious to hear the other side of the story, because I think putting Sully above a multitude of other issues facing this team is just bat-**** crazy.

Yea but that's like saying "which of these 50 holes in the dam is causing it to leak?"

To me those holes are all the same diameter... Some are just easier to patch than others

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Nah, purely a gut thing, but I think he's going to give them a couple of options where to trade him. The only question is whether he gives JR a way out if/when he doesn't get a deal he wants or if he turns the screws the JR and forces a trade (which he clearly can with a threat to spend a year in Russia without retiring).

I hope they haven’t asked him...I don’t think they’re going to get a that great of a return for him and once that door is open, the team is compelled to trade him or the relationship is severed. I don’t think that’s going to lead to anything that will improve the team. How hard will he really want to play if they can’t trade him even if he stays here? It’s a bad deal either way and I hope they weren’t stupid enough to open that door...I’m still not convinced they have , unless he initiated the conversation about being traded...maybe he did because his play suggests he wasn’t having fun last year..

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
You didn't answer the question. :)

Basically anyone not named therrien, Johnston or Bylsma. And that's not a cop out

I mean, not many people knew who sully was when he was hired, so I'm sure there's a capable coach available who is hungry and might hold some players accountable.
Again it's just a matter of having a different voice after 4 seasons that I believe is necessary to kick start some players

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
The funny part about Tippett is he is terrible with youth so all of the criticism Sullivan gets about that (I know that isn’t you) would be further exemplified by Tippett.

I like Tippett or Lavy as the next coach.

Oh no. Tippett is awful

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Kunitz is what people said he was here now.

Kunitz while here during the back to back was exactly what we were missing on LW the last two years. A two way 40ish pt forward that brought a slight physical game and scoring touch.

Lmao nah. Hes actually what this roster is filled with, lackluster effort.

Kunitz was awful. He was decent in the 2016 run though. But still lacked effort

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I hope they haven’t asked him...I don’t think they’re going to get a that great of a return for him and once that door is open, the team is compelled to trade him or the relationship is severed. I don’t think that’s going to lead to anything that will improve the team. How hard will he really want to play if they can’t trade him even if he stays here? It’s a bad deal either way and I hope they weren’t stupid enough to open that door...I’m still not convinced they have , unless he initiated the conversation about being traded...maybe he did because his play suggests he wasn’t having fun last year..

I think that they think they can open and, if necessary, close the door without repercussion. Whether they in fact can do both is another matter . . . :laugh:

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Lmao nah. Hes actually what this roster is filled with, lackluster effort.

Kunitz was awful. He was decent in the 2016 run though. But still lacked effort

Kunitz didn’t lack effort in the playoffs in either 16 or 17. That guy clearly paced himself like crazy in order to be a decent playoff contributor. He was maddening in the regular season yea, but he was legitimately useful every single Cup run.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I think that they think they can open and, if necessary, close the door without repercussion. Whether they in fact can do both is another matter . . . :laugh:

I think you’re getting a little crazy with this.

Malkin has had multiple chances to be a dick this off season and has towed the company line.

It’s why I don’t think JR and Sully are as safe as people around here think.

ESPECIALLY given who our owner is..

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Wow, congratulations. Hey, if we wanted to really sell high, we should have traded our Crosby pick in 2005. Can you even imagine how much value we could have gotten? Sell high!

Laugh all you want, but I enjoy reading back through old post on big topics and you really see who here have the insight and the vast majority of those who do not.

ps... I stated to trade Hornqvist before the TDL last season.... where did you stand on the topic?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Laugh all you want, but I enjoy reading back through old post on big topics and you really see who here have the insight and the vast majority of those who do not.

ps... I stated to trade Hornqvist before the TDL last season.... where did you stand on the topic?

What exactly would trading Hornqvist last TDL accomplished for a team that was a few points out from winning their division?

Reactions: Riptide
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad