Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster building: "All of your Pittsburgh born players belong to us"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
YbkFbnu.jpg

Reactions: KIRK

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
"Billy and I agree, Lucic will be a great veteran mentality in our lineup as well as creating some offensive flare, a true asset. Also, we've decided to give Zachary Trotman a two year one way contract worth $2.5 million per"

You forgot: “we think he’ll bring much needed push back in the lineup and make us harder to play against....”

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Imagine after all this time they said Geno would NEVER stay in Pittsburgh behind Sid the entire time, that it would be some old crazy man that gets rid of him instead of 71 leaving. :laugh:

I won't be surprised if Geno offers a list of teams to which he'll accept a trade (in fact, I may be more surprised if he doesn't).

The more interesting question for me is HOW he'll do it.

Option A: Make it easy on JR. Give him a list of teams. If he finds the deal he wants, voila. If not, then there's no obligation to make a move.

Option B: Provide JR a list of teams and then inform him that he'd better trade you by the end of the summer for whatever he can get, because you've played your last game for the Penguins as long as he and Sullivan are part of the organization and you'll opt to spend the year in Russia if you're not traded. This would prevent the Pens from allocating the cap space longer term, since you're saying only that you'll spend the year in Russia (and by implication could return the following year).

This is why I keep saying JR is playing with fire, because I don't see why option B isn't something Geno would consider strongly IF he decides he's open to a change.

Reactions: Andy99

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
What makes you say this about Mario?
The fact that his GMs have always immediately and unequivocally ended the rumors and whispers in the past, whereas JR hasn't this spring. To the point of openly questioning Malkin's "off-ice maturity" and refusing to definitively quash the rumors.

A GM doesn't do that if his owner makes it clear that guy is off limits.

I think there's a lot more to Geno being open to a trade as well, but that's just an opinion.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
If JR even entertains the thought of asking Geno to waive, Mario must step in, apologize to Malkin and let HIM tell JR he is fired.

You ALWAYS lose when you trade away a franchise player. Always. Do not do it.

Kessel? Ok. Letang? Maybe. Malkin? Fireable offense.

I think he's already been asked. Whether it's definitively asked or more casually is a question, but when Geno says 'anything can happen', that doesn't sound like a guy who isn't at least potentially open to a change.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
"Billy and I agree, Lucic will be a great veteran mentality in our lineup as well as creating some offensive flare, a true asset. Also, we've decided to give Zachary Trotman a two year one way contract worth $2.5 million per"

Oh stop making **** up . . .

Trotman isn't a pushback guy who can't move the puck.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I think he's already been asked. Whether it's definitively asked or more casually is a question, but when Geno says 'anything can happen', that doesn't sound like a guy who isn't at least potentially open to a change.

I think he’d ideally like to stay a Pen and have Sully depart...he may decide Sully won’t last past next year and take those odds...(I hope)

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
This post can't be serious.

This board amazes me. I remember clearly trying to discuss the thought of trading some of our important vets after our last cup (the selling high theory) and I was arrogantly dismissed for being so clueless.

Not even 2 years later I see those same names talking about trading the likes of Letang, Geno, Horny, Maata......

I don't have a problem with trading anyone but you sure as hell aren't selling high now are you???

Guess I will always be the least informed poster here. I'll try to get better, I promise.

Wow, congratulations. Hey, if we wanted to really sell high, we should have traded our Crosby pick in 2005. Can you even imagine how much value we could have gotten? Sell high!

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
For those that are putting a lot of fault on Sully's shoulders for not adjusting or playing to his roster's strengths, what would you have been happy with him doing?

Follow up; If you're firing Sully this summer, who are your potential replacements, what strengths do they bring as a coach, and how do you think they'll get more out of his roster than Sully?

I'm only half being snarky. I'm genuinely curious to hear the other side of the story, because I think putting Sully above a multitude of other issues facing this team is just bat-shit crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad