Salary Cap Crunch Part 2- The Capocalypse

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Sabres fan here.

Given the cap situation is getting a bit more muddled as the days go by, I'm curious if this piques your interest (an offseason deal, obviously):

To Buffalo: Patrick Kane, Bryan Bickell
To Chicago: Tyler Ennis, Marcus Foligino, McCabe, 2x 2015 1sts (St Louis+ NYI), and your choice of any forward prospect not named Reinhart.

Wet dream.

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
Sabres fan here.

Given the cap situation is getting a bit more muddled as the days go by, I'm curious if this piques your interest (an offseason deal, obviously):

To Chicago: Tyler Ennis, Marcus Foligino, McCabe, 2x 2015 1sts (St Louis+ NYI), and your choice of any forward prospect not named Reinhart.

child-please-o.gif

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
Sabres fan here.

McCabe seals it. Sold.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
You ask for Patrick Kane but we can't ask for Reinhart?

:laugh:

Haha. I was just curious if there was ANY appetite at all for a potential Kane move from the Hawks POV. I'm assuming the answer is no, based the response.

I'd be open in a Reinhart + for Kane move, but it'd be a much different trade than "all the things" I posted earlier.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
Haha. I was just curious if there was ANY appetite at all for a potential Kane move from the Hawks POV. I'm assuming the answer is no, based the response.

I'd be open in a Reinhart + for Kane move, but it'd be a much different trade than "all the things" I posted earlier.

Kane is our leading scorer this season by a long shot and currently in 2nd place in the Art Ross race.

Just curious why would you think there would be an appetite for a potential Kane move?

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Kane is our leading scorer this season by a long shot and currently in 2nd place in the Art Ross race.

Just curious why would you think there would be an appetite for a potential Kane move?

Kane is untouchable. EOS.

There may be a parting of the ways, but not until his twilight years.

The slowly rising salary cap + the ability to keep a contending team together when you have 21 million of a 73 million cap tied up in two players.

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago
The slowly rising salary cap + the ability to keep a contending team together when you have 21 million of a 73 million cap tied up in two players.

The trade you proposed does not help Chicago keep a contending team together...it removes the best offensive player without offering someone to fill the role.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
Sabres fan here.

LMAO.
:handclap: good one

H a w k s*

May 18, 2012
Sabres fan here.

To answer your question. no

H a w k s*

May 18, 2012
McCabe? Meh, is can we trade him for a karpotsev who is currently a bottom pairing D in the ECHL?

zac

Apr 29, 2009
I'm curious, for those of you cap experts, if it's within the CBA to structure salary based on percentage of the cap. Say for instance we had been able to sign Kane and Toews for 13% of the team cap figure. That would put them in the 9 million range for the first few years, but likely higher as the cap (conceivably) continues to rise. This guarantees 2 things: one is your players are making "market value" as the cap changes, while it also protects the team (short term especially) if the cap unexpectedly goes down.

No on has structured a contract like this to my knowledge, but it seems like it would be something that would work. I'm just not sure if it's allowable or not.

Toews, Kane and Bowman really screwed us. 9-9.5 million would have been more than fair while also giving this team much needed money. With the amount of exposure (sponsorship $$) they receive here, the that extra 1-1.5 million per was much more valuable to the team than it was for them.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I'm curious, for those of you cap experts, if it's within the CBA to structure salary based on percentage of the cap. Say for instance we had been able to sign Kane and Toews for 13% of the team cap figure. That would put them in the 9 million range for the first few years, but likely higher as the cap (conceivably) continues to rise. This guarantees 2 things: one is your players are making "market value" as the cap changes, while it also protects the team (short term especially) if the cap unexpectedly goes down.

No on has structured a contract like this to my knowledge, but it seems like it would be something that would work. I'm just not sure if it's allowable or not.

Toews, Kane and Bowman really screwed us. 9-9.5 million would have been more than fair while also giving this team much needed money. With the amount of exposure (sponsorship $$) they receive here, the that extra 1-1.5 million per was much more valuable to the team than it was for them.

I'm not sure it's possible, but I doubt any GM would ever do it even if it was, because they all want the percentage of the cap each contract is eating to decrease over time, especially with long-term contracts where the players output is likely to fall off as he ages.

As far as the marketing dollars, the Blackhawks don't pay Kane and Toews a separate check for their marketing duties. They get extra money from external contracts, like car advertisements and the like, but the Blackhawks-related marketing is included as part of their hockey contracts, as per the CBA.

So sadly, there was no way to say 'here's 9 million for your on-ice value to the team, and here's a separate 1.5 million that doesn't count to the cap for your marketing/branding contributions'.

That was the real problem. Is that Kane and Toews value to the Blackhawks right now goes beyond on-ice performance. Purely as hockey players, they're worth 9 million. But as faces of the franchise, they're worth 10.5.

But yeah, most of Bowman's UFA and RFA signings have been overly generous. Kane and Toews are just the latest and most egregious examples.

Last edited:

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
That Sabres deal would start with Reinhard and Ristolainen... and a 1st... while taking Bickell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad