Salary Cap: Salary Cap: 2016-17 roster-building part VII | Contract chart, cap info in post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
The only UFA I would think about giving 6m/yr is Okposo and his camp probably would listen to that (to start) given the Pens are back on everyone's radar.

Okposo can skate, plays a complete game, would be perfect on Sid or Geno's RW.

I like him alot too.
I'd even go as high as 6.6 or so if JR could manage to move out alot of cash quickly with none coming back.
But it does seem like a pipe dream at this point.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Well then you run into the problem that the 4 teams we faced in the playoffs had. Almost every team in the league can defend reasonably well against two lines.

Just get another winger each for 71 and 87. They don't even have to be that good... just better than Kunitz and Sheary.

Yeah, if anything, the playoffs taught JR that he really needs to upgrade on Sheary, Kunitz and Fehr for Sid & Geno. I like Sheary but I don't know if he fits in the bottom 6 if he's not with the top 6 and I like Kuhnhackl on the 4th line more than I would like Sheary there.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I like him alot too.
I'd even go as high as 6.6 or so if JR could manage to move out alot of cash quickly.
But it does seem like a pipe dream at this point.

IF Dupuis puts his papers in or did, that frees up 3.75m in cap space, then you need tp move Fleury, Kunitz, and maybe debate moving Fehr as well since there is so much amazing youth on this team that can step into some of those roles from within.

I think Rust is a better fit than Fehr is on the RW in the bottom 6, as far as Kunitz goes, I think he's spent. It'd actually be easier if he just retired.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Well then you run into the problem that the 4 teams we faced in the playoffs had. Almost every team in the league can defend reasonably well against two lines.

Just get another winger each for 71 and 87. They don't even have to be that good... just better than Kunitz and Sheary.

Fully on board with that. I m really hoping Wilson and Simon can fill those rolls and the Pens keep the three line mentality.

Two clones of Hagelin would be nice too.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Let's enter fantasy land for a sec...

Let's say Toronto comes calling about Fleury because they are desperate to land Stamkos and to land Stamkos, they need to make their rebuild a 2-3yr play instead. So they go and sign one of Demers or Goose to help their D out and trade for Fleury...

Who would you ask for?

I love the idea of JVR on the Pens. He's at a damn good cap hit and he'd be amazing with Geno.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Fully on board with that. I m really hoping Wilson and Simon can fill those rolls and the Pens keep the three line mentality.

Two clones of Hagelin would be nice too.

You want a Hags clone, Helm is your man.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
For me, it's between Okposo and Ladd. Okposo will likely be cheaper. Unless JR can identify someone else?

Okposo or Ladd would go on Sid's line though, right?

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
The only UFA that I would sign for 6mil$ would be Lucic. 47 ES points is well above the other free agents. To compare Okposo has 39 and Boedker has 29 ES points.

I feel that he would fit well on our forecheck. It's not like opposing teams fans could hate our team more anyway. :laugh:

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
The only UFA that I would sign for 6mil$ would be Lucic. 47 ES points is well above the other free agents. To compare Okposo has 39 and Boedker has 29 ES points.

I feel that he would fit well on our forecheck. It's not like opposing teams fans could hate our team more anyway. :laugh:

Personally I dont want any of those guys... not for the price it will take. Lucic does not fit this team at all.... not even close.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Do you think JR could convince Ladd, who he is familiar with from Carolina, to sign a one-year deal?

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
When your identity is speed, you don't go signing Lucic. That's for damn sure.

Lucic would be atomic next to Geno. Then you can keep Rust there also to bring the speed. It'd be awesome.

Not all our players need to be super fast, and in any event Lucic gets around very well for a big guy.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Lucic would be atomic next to Geno. Then you can keep Rust there also to bring the speed. It'd be awesome.

Not all our players need to be super fast, and in any event Lucic gets around very well for a big guy.

Oh I definitely understand the mix/complimentary line, but Lucic is a guy I wouldn't want anywhere near our team. We were awesome at ignoring all the extra crap, playing with speed/tenacity, and being relentless offensively. I could not imagine where Lucic would fit, at all, with our overall identity.

Do not want. And it has almost no chance of happening anyway.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Dupuis is not officially retiring and giving up on 3.75m. No way. Forget about it. He is going on the Long Term Injured Reserve list all season so it won't count against the cap though. Happy days all round.

Speaking of people who won't retire and give up on 3.75m, Chris Kunitz. He only goes if we trade him. I think Rutherford only does that if we're in cap hell. Dreams of him sailing off into the blue to somewhere else with one last fond wave while we throw the money at someone else are just that. If I'm wrong, I'll be happy, but its even less likely than Sprong springing straight to NHL ready off of the back of a good AHL play-offs and a summer in the gym. I'd like to be wrong about that too but it all feels too hopeful.

There is also the issue that we'd still need a strong back-up goalie post Flower and that we need a Reverend replacement at 7th D. That bites into the space available.

So I don't really see space for a 6m winger, even if we trade Flower and Fehr. That's okay, I'd be happy with someone like Helm or Hansen. Think someone might make Helm a big offer after our SC team being super fast.

As for Sheary - I think he's a great depth forward to have. But then I thought he looked pretty good with Sid at times, his issue was more being streaky and having prolonged runs of pointlessness than not being able to do it at all. We could do a lot worse for the money as someone waiting to pick up games when people are injured/need a rest.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
If you want to talk about 2 great players to fit our squad,(not talking about money/cap hit/etc) it would definitely be Okposo and Boedker.

It's amazing this is all going down in 2 weeks. I love long playoff runs. This is so freaking fun.

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
It's amazing this is all going down in 2 weeks. I love long playoff runs. This is so freaking fun.
That's an amazing feeling. The Cup. The Parade. The Draft. The Free Agency. All in a handful of days.
I must admit I'm a little exhaust by the Cup run. I didn't ride my bike since we won the Cup, I'm still recovering.

TorstenFrings

lebenslang gruenweiss
Apr 25, 2012
Bremen
The Hawks board (I was reading there, because they have a Malkin trade thread) keeps throwing around a Scuderi retirement in their cap calculations. That's just wishful thinking right? Or is there any rumor about this out there?

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
The Hawks board (I was reading there, because they have a Malkin trade thread) keeps throwing around a Scuderi retirement in their cap calculations. That's just wishful thinking right? Or is there any rumor about this out there?

Think about it for a second. Why would Scuderi throw away that amount of money just to help out the cap situation of a team he played on for about 12 minutes total ice time? There's your answer.

TorstenFrings

lebenslang gruenweiss
Apr 25, 2012
Bremen
Think about it for a second. Why would Scuderi throw away that amount of money just to help out the cap situation of a team he played on for about 12 minutes total ice time? There's your answer.

This is why I assumed it was just wishful thinking on their part, but figured it can't hurt to ask here.

Lecavalier will retire, so maybe Lombardi is using the Guantanamo methods of negotiating over there. :naughty:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad