Salary Cap: Salary Cap: 2016-17 roster-building part VII | Contract chart, cap info in post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I know it's late, but can people please not seriously suggest bringing in Yakupov? I would have imagined that all of the reasons listed here for why Yakupov is a trash player would convince some people that he's bad, but I keep seeing him mentioned every other day. It doesn't matter how good your shot is or how fast you are if you're too dumb to know where you're supposed to be on the ice.

You offer no proof, just your opinion. Just like those of us who want to give the kid a shot at redemption here.

Yakupov to Pittsburgh has a very realistic shot at happening. Deal with it:popcorn:

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
You offer no proof, just your opinion. Just like those of us who want to give the kid a shot at redemption here.

Yakupov to Pittsburgh has a very realistic shot at happening. Deal with it:popcorn:

Yakupov is one of the least physical players in the league/has none of that mythical grit/can't fight, so why do you seem so excited that he could end up here?

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Yakupov is one of the least physical players in the league/has none of that mythical grit/can't fight, so why do you seem so excited that he could end up here?

Because you are one of the countless people on this board who misrepresents another poster's opinion.

Yes I love grit and I enjoyed battles of old time hockey. But I have also stated many time here that any player should excel in at least on area of their game, ie, speed, grit, or skill. My main complaints from 09 through at least January of 16 is that the Pens went after too many players who excelled at no parts in their games and were just nondescript players eating minutes. (Porter, Adams, Winnik... the list could go on all night)

So where does Yak fit and why would I want him?? See above and note that Yak fits 2 of my criteria.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I know that it sounds funny on one level, but I trust JR and the analytics guys to target the right players.

They earned it this past year.

I do not have access to their data bases that they are basing these decisions on so will just sit back and have pretty good hopes that they will make the right call.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania

Ugh, no no no NO NO.

I'd rather resign Lovejoy than bring in Yakupov.

and I want no part of Lovejoy.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
I know that it sounds funny on one level, but I trust JR and the analytics guys to target the right players.

They earned it this past year.

I do not have access to their data bases that they are basing these decisions on so will just sit back and have pretty good hopes that they will make the right call.

Exactly my feeling. I have a new confidence that they will identify effective players.

mgd525

May 18, 2007
Exactly my feeling. I have a new confidence that they will identify effective players.

At this point how could you not. Everything JR did turned to gold in the end. Hell I forgive him for the Despres trade. I will never give it another thought.

hagelin1381

Mar 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
I'm sure this has been asked before but who would you guys like to see the Pens try to acquire if they were to go for a top 6 LW? (If they clear enough salary to make such a move). I think Hoffman would be a solid addition, but he may cost too much

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
At this point how could you not. Everything JR did turned to gold in the end. Hell I forgive him for the Despres trade. I will never give it another thought.

I mean, Right? Even when he took worthless Spaling and resigned him at a ridiculous cost, knowing exactly that Spaling would end up in San Jose (our future SCF opponent) for the ultimate long-con.

giphy.gif

EndlessBigMacs

Apr 27, 2016
Pittsburgh
I'm sure this has been asked before but who would you guys like to see the Pens try to acquire if they were to go for a top 6 LW? (If they clear enough salary to make such a move). I think Hoffman would be a solid addition, but he may cost too much

I like Hoffman but...
I want to sign ladd

:naughty:

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
I could see Benning taking our later second for Hansen.

I wouldn't go for anybody too expensive atleast because it might put us in an awkward situation next year already. That's why the free agent market isn't too attractive to me.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Actually, someone from Toronto did some data on this and 2-3 years is the amount of time it takes a goalie to move through AHL/OHL and understudy.

If you have a team in place and you want to start to move the curve towards winning then MAF is a great start. I think people are vastly over-rating his return given his cap hit (i.e. he is not bringing back a top 10 pick) but MAF is a top 10 goalie with a winning record in the regular season.

There are plenty of teams he could do the above for or upgrade some middling teams GT situation.

Which is exactly my point. The Flames window starts in 2-3 years, not now. By then MAF could very easily be out of his prime. The Flames are better with a stop gap goalie that will be cheap to acquire and not spending assets on MAF.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Murray's most remarkable attribute for his age is his zero panic resilience. There are good veteran goalies who never become zen like he is.

And as you're getting at, I too think he has room to improve on his actual play.

He can still work on his reads from behind the net and the mechanics around those plays. He does the routine stuff so well already. Playing time is exactly what he needs.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
So the teams that are supposedly looking for a #1 Goalie are: Islanders, Flames, Leafs, and Hurricanes.

I'm kind of surprised to see Hurricanes on that list, I get why the Isles are with Halak always hurt and the other 2 make sense too. Toronto, if they want a chance to get Stamkos, will be in on Fleury as getting half assed goaltending won't really make Stamkos feel like it'll be a 3-5yr rebuild and would end up being a 5+ year one. Flames, they're a group that desperately needs a reliable goalie, they have the pieces in place for the most part, but I don't know what they would be willing to give up.

I read an article that said some prospects and one of the Flames picks.

I don't know if the Flames have any intriguing prospects that are LW, which would be the ideal thing. I mean, the team could get a D prospect off them worth wanting, but ideally, a LW. According to this site, Shinkaruk is their best LW prospect...not really a good thing. Could the Penguins add to get Sam Bennett? I'd happily package Fatso Pouliot with Fleury to get Bennett and a pick out of them. But putting that fantasy aside...

Who would the Flames offer up? If I am JR, I ask for Oliver Kylington, if they say no then I hang up. Who else is worth it? I am not as sold about Frolik as everyone else.

Last edited:

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
If Cullen retires and JR goes bargain shopping in FA'y like last year, i like Helm alot for these Pens.
Speed for days. Great Pk'er. PP's as well.
Can fill in, in the top 6 like Cullen did some or even move up and Fehr C's the 4th.

I know Det. will try to sign him but you can try and woo FA's now.
I'd certainly gauge his interest.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
If Cullen retires and JR goes bargain shopping in FA'y like last year, i like Helm alot for these Pens.
Speed for days.
Can fill in, in the top 6 like Cullen did some or even move up and Fehr C's the 4th.

I know Det. will try to sign him but you can try and woo FA's now.
I'd certainly gauge his interest.

It'll be tough to get him to come to the Penguins on a deal that works for the team, I mean realistically we're looking at what? 1.5-2m max a year? That'll be a pricey 4th line with Fehr there too and what does the team do with Oskar Sundqvist? I get that he only played a season in the AHL, so maybe another year or two will polish up the kid with a lot of call-ups along the way to assess where he is at. Also, I like having another RH-C, because the Pens had 4 LH C's this year with Fehr taking reps there too, it helps having a righty that can take the draw too.

But Helm's speed is Sullivan's M.O right now. I would hope Helm's camp approaches the Pens to make this an easy move.

Hagelin, Bonino, Kessel
Kuhnhackl/Sheary/Rust/Simon/Wilson, Helm, Fehr

Tough bottom 6 to match-up against.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Is the idea of Malkin and Sid playing on the same line being completely tossed away? Theyve always played well together and could be the answer of linemates for each other. With HBK playing so well it might work.

905PENS

Oskee wee wee
Apr 9, 2013
Hamilton Ontario
Obviously a bit of a pipe dream. Ladd cap wise wouldn't fit. I've just always personally loved him. Having him on the penguins would be great haha.

Last edited:

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
It'll be tough to get him to come to the Penguins on a deal that works for the team, I mean realistically we're looking at what? 1.5-2m max a year? That'll be a pricey 4th line with Fehr there too and what does the team do with Oskar Sundqvist? I get that he only played a season in the AHL, so maybe another year or two will polish up the kid with a lot of call-ups along the way to assess where he is at. Also, I like having another RH-C, because the Pens had 4 LH C's this year with Fehr taking reps there too, it helps having a righty that can take the draw too.

But Helm's speed is Sullivan's M.O right now. I would hope Helm's camp approaches the Pens to make this an easy move.

Hagelin, Bonino, Kessel
Kuhnhackl/Sheary/Rust/Simon/Wilson, Helm, Fehr

Tough bottom 6 to match-up against.

Well, if JR manages to ship Kunitz off, Helm(at around 3M) would be in the mix to play beside any of the top 3 C's as well. Hagelin, Helm, Sheary, Wilson.
It beefs up the LW depth as well as replaces Cullen's contributions nicely.
I like the thought of trying to woo him alot.
He'd also be another moveable contract to go with the Horny's, Hagelin's, and so on.
Alot more flexibilty in the future compared to, say signing a Ladd or Eriksson to 6M(or more) dollar deals.

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Yakupov is garbage, I have absolutely no idea how you can just ignore all of his faults and say the Pens should go after him. There is no redemption for him available, he's just a bad hockey player. Your proof of him not being a crap player is just a highlight video, my proof for him sucking is from watching the actual games.

And how does Yakupov to Pittsburgh have a very realistic shot at happening? Do you personally know JR? Have any rumor guys said it's possible? Please provide a source.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Is the idea of Malkin and Sid playing on the same line being completely tossed away? Theyve always played well together and could be the answer of linemates for each other. With HBK playing so well it might work.

Well then you run into the problem that the 4 teams we faced in the playoffs had. Almost every team in the league can defend reasonably well against two lines.

Just get another winger each for 71 and 87. They don't even have to be that good... just better than Kunitz and Sheary.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Well, if JR manages to ship Kunitz off, Helm would be in the mix to play beside any of the top 3 C's as well. Hagelin, Helm, Sheary, Wilson.
It beefs up the LW depth as well as replaces Cullen's contributions nicely.
I like the thought of trying to woo him alot.
He'd also be another moveable contract to go with the Horny's, Hagelin's, and so on.
Alot more flexibilty in the future compared to, say signing a Ladd or Eriksson to 6M(or more) dollar deals.

The only UFA I would think about giving 6m/yr is Okposo and his camp probably would listen to that (to start) given the Pens are back on everyone's radar.

Okposo can skate, plays a complete game, would be perfect on Sid or Geno's RW.

But then again, I don't want the Pens to be in cap trouble like the Hawks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad