Salary Cap: Salary Cap 2015: Opinions are like Kunitz on the 1st line - Maybe you shouldn't

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
To me, the only bright spots Sutter brought to the game were those 1ish second moments when the puck left his stick and flew into the net every ten-ish games while he was flying down the right wing after randomly getting freed up by doing exactly none of the work himself. As that would require a modicum of strength and savvy. Everything else he did was very, very replaceable and rather easily so. In all honesty most Vancouver fans seem like a good lot and I feel bad for them.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I give Johnston 12 games before the noose gets REALLY tight. He may be a 'professional coach' but he doesn't look like an NHL coach to me. An assistant, yes. But not a head man. And what IC said is significant and undervalued...a coach MUST have the pulse of the room.

Plus, I still think there is disconnect between how Rutherford wants this team to play and how Johnston sees things.

I don't see how he (Johnston) makes it to Christmas.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
If they start out good he'll make it. Last year's entire debacle was blamed on injuries and injuries alone by the fo. Shero and bylsmas contracts being off the books does give them options though. Question is who do.you replace him with now that Hynes is gone?

And if you are thinking Keenan, just stop.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
I give Johnston 12 games before the noose gets REALLY tight. He may be a 'professional coach' but he doesn't look like an NHL coach to me. An assistant, yes. But not a head man. And what IC said is significant and undervalued...a coach MUST have the pulse of the room.

Plus, I still think there is disconnect between how Rutherford wants this team to play and how Johnston sees things.

I honestly don't think he's in any danger this year.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I honestly don't think he's in any danger this year.

Then he better have made massive strides from last season or this team is already sunk.

I get that they want to give the guy his fair shake. I do, too. But there should absolutely be plenty of scrutiny coming from above. I have no idea why MJ should be considered protected. He has accomplished exactly nothing.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
MJ would have to buy the Penguins and fire himself for him to lose his job in the first 12 games.

I could envision a scenario where he's fired this year, but a lot would have to go wrong.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
The first 12 games is insanity, of course. That would be pretty rare even for a coach already on the hot seat. My hope is simply that they are honest in their evaluation of him and his staff and don't get too caught up in this Steelers-esque concept that you hold on to your coach no matter what for the sake of "stability" and "loyalty" or whatever. Doing things differently than most doesn't always make you an innovator.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Then he better have made massive strides from last season or this team is already sunk.

I get that they want to give the guy his fair shake. I do, too. But there should absolutely be plenty of scrutiny coming from above. I have no idea why MJ should be considered protected. He has accomplished exactly nothing.

I think it's just for the reason you mentioned. Don't get me wrong I'm skeptical of the coaching staff for sure. Just saying how I think it will play out. If they were on a skid and in 9th place at some point in the middle of the year I wouldn't bat an eye if they fired him. Of course they'd screw that up by naming Tocchet or something. On the other hand if he did get fired would you really blame him if this is the defense they're sticking with 'til the deadline? Unless they were really sunk at the time I don't know that I would.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
MJ would have to buy the Penguins and fire himself for him to lose his job in the first 12 games.

I could envision a scenario where he's fired this year, but a lot would have to go wrong.

To be fired in the first 12 games MJ would have to go 0-12, out Crosby, get Malkin deported, and knock up every woman in Ruterfords family.

As long as this team is on track for a playoff spot Johnston will get the benefit of the doubt. Which the roster talent alone should provide. Though another first rd exit, especially if they limp in the playoffs might get him canned.

Penguinzilla*

This is going to be a great season. Johnston is going to do great. It'll be a bit tough at first because our D isn't that great, but GMJR will make a great trade for some D and we'll win the Cup. This is going to be fun.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
This roster is talented enough to keep MJ here. I just don't think they can be coached poorly enough (without active intent) to perform poorly enough to warrant a coaching change.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I think it's just for the reason you mentioned. Don't get me wrong I'm skeptical of the coaching staff for sure. Just saying how I think it will play out. If they were on a skid and in 9th place at some point in the middle of the year I wouldn't bat an eye if they fired him. Of course they'd screw that up by naming Tocchet or something. On the other hand if he did get fired would you really blame him if this is the defense they're sticking with 'til the deadline? Unless they were really sunk at the time I don't know that I would.

The defense is the biggest question mark (at least on paper) that the team is facing, this year. I mean... aside from how they deploy the players they have. Which is on the coach. I am confident that if this defense continues to stumble... JR will make a move to attempt to stabilize it, though. And I personally feel like there will be plenty of reasons to look at the coaching staff in askance that have little to do with the questionable nature of the blueline. Particularly considering his group of forwards and goaltending are very, very high quality to help compensate.

But I agree with your general assessment. That's likely how it will go down.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida

A lot of coaches are on the hot seat this year, mostly veteran coaches(MJ wasn't mentioned as a hot seat candidate). However, I certainly could see them letting his contract expire after the year ends and maybe going after one of those vet coaches.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
The defense is the biggest question mark (at least on paper) that the team is facing, this year. I mean... aside from how they deploy the players they have. Which is on the coach. I am confident that if this defense continues to stumble... JR will make a move to attempt to stabilize it, though. And I personally feel like there will be plenty of reasons to look at the coaching staff in askance that have little to do with the questionable nature of the blueline. Particularly considering his group of forwards and goaltending are very, very high quality to help compensate.

But I agree with your general assessment. That's likely how it will go down.

Do you think that having a couple players on the wrong line is more impactful than having a defense that basically doesn't have a 2nd pair though? I mean the D is horrible, at least for a team with any kind of aspirations, and this isn't me making excuses for anyone in advance. It just is.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
This roster is talented enough to keep MJ here. I just don't think they can be coached poorly enough (without active intent) to perform poorly enough to warrant a coaching change.

If the defense can't hold it together they will need good coaching to keep from stumbling. This is the new, boring NHL. There will only be so many goals to be scored I don't care who you have on offense. They will need a good staff unless the D somehow surprises, which I think it's beyond being capable of.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Do you think that having a couple players on the wrong line is more impactful than having a defense that basically doesn't have a 2nd pair though? I mean the D is horrible, at least for a team with any kind of aspirations, and this isn't me making excuses for anyone in advance. It just is.

Pouliot and Clendening are IMO the keys to how this season will play out. If one or both can step up they can dump Scuds and go about their business.. If not then you all of a sudden looking to move a forward for D.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
For me it's simple, if we come out of the gate and we're STILL struggling to score goals, he's a goner.

Rutherford has set this team up to be four lines of offense, two of which have SIGNIFICANT offense. If we're still struggling to score, Rutherford needs to can the entire coaching staff and find people that fit his vision for this club.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

I think that line chemistry (or lack thereof) CAN have a major impact, yes. Especially considering the huge strength of this team is obviously it's group of forwards. If you can't figure out how to best use that group of forwards together... you are already handicapping what should be your biggest strength.

You are not completely off base about the defense. But I still have faith that there are some guys in that group like Cole, Dumoulin, Clendening and even Pouliot (despite his terrible preseason) that can really change the makeup and competency level of this defense in a hurry. Even a skating pile of flaming garbage like Lovejoy can help turn things around if he can get back to being a reliable third pairing player. It might sound weird but I'm more willing to wait and see on the defense than I am on the coaching staff.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
It may be boring, but it is good coaching. He was missing some key components to his team. I'm a head coach for a varsity soccer team. If I'm playing a team that outclasses my players skill wise or athletically, I'm going to play a formation with more bodies in the midfield in an attempt to disrupt their possession game. We keep it ugly and rely on counter-punching and set corner plays. They may outclass us and have better possession time, but it gives us a chance to win.

:thumbu:

Of course Johnston had them trap. He needed to... it was their only hope. And that, combined with a strong performance by Fleury, gave them a chance to win every game of that series. It wasn't pretty, but it did what was needed.

I suppose some would've preferred Johnston take the Bylsma "get to our game" strategy and get blown out every time?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Not really. They clarified it a little later on. Said DB was frequently seen hanging out in the locker room chatting with players after games and practices, where as MJ doesn't. I could see it as something someone could take and make an issue of it if they wanted to, but honestly it doesn't bother me that much. I think people will read a lot more into it then they should.

Bylsma often gave the impression that he was a player first, and a coach second. He’d take part in practice drills and seemed closer with some of his players than the players were with one another.

Johnston couldn’t be more of a coach.
And
The coach likes to be a coach as much as possible. Handling off-ice matters isn’t such a pressing need at this level. He’d rather work on game plans to negate the opposition instead of devoting his energy elsewhere.

“It’s much different than in junior hockey,†Johnston said. “There, you deal with more counseling, one-on-one, personal things. School, curfew, girlfriends. You deal with so many personal issues. And that’s fine. But at the NHL level, it’s different. You still want to deal with people and be aware of personal things. But it’s at a different kind of depth. You can just coach here, which is nice.â€

The less time Johnston has to deal with off-ice matters, the more he can focus on the on-ice product. That’s what he is paid to do, and according to his players, he is underrated in this regard. This is why he doesn’t get too close with his players. He’s too busy properly directing them on the ice.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I never really got behind the concept that MJ kept them close. I watched every game. They were only close as far as the box score is concerned. The Penguins didn't acquit themselves badly considering the circumstances. They at least made it SEEM respectable. But the Rangers knew exactly what they were up to and countered it perfectly. Frankly the Penguins were slowly suffocated over the course of five games. I would have almost preferred they open it up because at least then it wouldn't have been about as compelling as watching grass grow, even if the outcome would have been the same.

I thought Fleury was a much, much bigger factor in (on the surface) giving the team a chance to win. But the goals they needed in order to make that happen were never going to come. They weren't even threatening to score in most of those games.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
I never really got behind the concept that MJ kept them close. I watched every game. They were only close as far as the box score is concerned. The Penguins didn't acquit themselves badly considering the circumstances. They at least made it SEEM respectable. But the Rangers knew exactly what they were up to and countered it perfectly. Frankly the Penguins were slowly suffocated over the course of five games. I would have almost preferred they open it up because at least then it wouldn't have been about as compelling as watching grass grow, even if the outcome would have been the same.

I thought Fleury was a much, much bigger factor in (on the surface) giving the team a chance to win. But the goals they needed in order to make that happen were never going to come. They weren't even threatening to score in most of those games.

I don't necessarily disagree. Fleury was the single biggest reason the Pens had a shot in those games. But Johnston didn't sit idle, either; he put the team into a trapping scheme and it did what it's supposed to. When you're that outmatched, you worry about preventing goals first and scoring goals second.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad