Saginaw Spirit 2023-24 Season Thread (Part One)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
I wouldn't be suprised in the least if we took an age demographic of Spirit posters here... I am 70.

To quote a Soo poster " We were out goalied "!
I just want to know if you still have your Boston accent? I'm a fan of many things Boston. Lol!
Think the Saginaw/Soo series is going to be a long battle, two very talented teams.

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
I just want to know if you still have your Boston accent? I'm a fan of many things Boston. Lol!
Think the Saginaw/Soo series is going to be a long battle, two very talented teams.

22 years of living out here in MI, many can still not understand a word I say. I grew up the Charlestown section of Boston, near the Bunkah Hill monument!

Reactions: Geff and nelli27

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013
I'm friends with a former ref and he said he loved it when fans chanted " ref you suck". He tried to call games fair but it made him lean over the edge a bit just to hear the chant again. Message- your hurting your team if your calling out the refs. Coach Dean should know that.
One of my least favorite fan cheers...boo and yell at the refs all you want (I do it plenty) but "ref you suck" in unison just makes me cringe.

Reactions: All the Answers

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013
Getting away from the on-ice for a second...can we talk about how awful the PA annoucer is? Is Jim Biggins on vacation or something? This guy just yells and screams and tries to pep up the crowd "I can't hear you" over and over. The job of a PA annoucer is to ANNOUCE THE GAME. If he wants to be a rah-rah guy, put him in the concourse like we've had in the past and do it that way. He absolutely drives me crazy. When you've got professional PA announcers like Art Lewis and Jim Biggins, I don't know why we need to put this clown in the PA booth.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Which Spirit player left the bench at the at the end of the game? There was a penalty assessed and it's always been an automatic suspension.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Which Spirit player left the bench at the at the end of the game? There was a penalty assessed and it's always been an automatic suspension.
Would that be one of those ones you could "buy back"? I've never truly understood how that kind of thing works in the playoffs.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
All players leave the bench at the end of the game? Not sure how they could isolate 1 player off of either team for that? It was a bench minor so maybe a staff member came on the ice?

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013
All of them...that's what happens at the end of the game. I watched the replay and while it's not a great angle, once the pushing/shoving ends, there's still just 5 on the ice and then the team comes on the ice to congratulate the goaltender on his shutout.

I'm guessing the penalty was a bench minor (that's why there was no player named) for crossing the red line after the game which, I'm sorry Soo, you lost, get off the ice and let the home team salute the crowd like in every other game.

• Haha

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I'm guessing the penalty was a bench minor (that's why there was no player named) for crossing the red line after the game
Easiest call all game for the ref. When the ref is holding the players on the bench, they are not to leave the bench until the ref releases them. Leave early, penalty.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Would that be one of those ones you could "buy back"? I've never truly understood how that kind of thing works in the playoffs.
I never understood that one either. Some you can and some you can't, but they never explain why.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Saginaw takes Dimian Zhilkin. Undersized but skilled. Seems like a guy that can fit the system.

Brother played in the O. Seems like a good kid. Probably uses goldstar as an agent if I had to guess. Saginaw has a great relationship with them. Would expect Saginaw to also take two of their players come import draft time

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Brother played in the O. Seems like a good kid. Probably uses goldstar as an agent if I had to guess. Saginaw has a great relationship with them. Would expect Saginaw to also take two of their players come import draft time
Yeah his brother uses gold star. Was looking through their 07’s the other day to see who we might target in the import.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
At 60 Saginaw takes G Brady Knowling. Committed to the NTDP. Don't love taking a NTDP kid in the first three rounds unless they really believe they can land him down the road.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
At 60 Saginaw takes G Brady Knowling. Committed to the NTDP. Don't love taking a NTDP kid in the first three rounds unless they really believe they can land him down the road.
I completely understand that logic but he wouldn’t play much as a 16yo. Likely back-up as a 17yo. If he goes to Saginaw at 18yo that’d be a huge get and probably a better development path. I don’t know exactly how high the risk is but I’m confident it’ll be high reward if they pull it off. Plus there’s the USA Hockey/Oke connection that’s already been built.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
I completely understand that logic but he wouldn’t play much as a 16yo. Likely back-up as a 17yo. If he goes to Saginaw at 18yo that’d be a huge get and probably a better development path. I don’t know exactly how high the risk is but I’m confident it’ll be high reward if they pull it off. Plus there’s the USA Hockey/Oke connection that’s already been built.
I agree there is more room to let him develop elsewhere since he's a goalie. Just think we could have taken him at 70 and instead took a skater at 60. But hey maybe someone was hot on him in the next few picks after us.

BThumme

Oct 2, 2023
An awful missed trip/interference call led to the Soo’s fourth goal and completely changed the outcome of this game. I don’t want to hear anymore about the refs giving some apparent favoritism to us.

With that said, I really liked the Greyhounds aggressive PK style. Looking forward to Monday nights game.

Ferguson Jenkins

Jul 17, 2021
An awful missed trip/interference call led to the Soo’s fourth goal and completely changed the outcome of this game. I don’t want to hear anymore about the refs giving some apparent favoritism to us.

With that said, I really liked the Greyhounds aggressive PK style. Looking forward to Monday nights game.
I notice an inferiority complex with a number of Hounds fans - they always want to be the victim. Sudbury too. Something up north I guess. I hope Saginaw wins this series just so it’ll quiet some of the whining superhomers from the North, lol.

There’s no officiating bias, it’s just the way it looks sometimes. I made a post in the London thread a few weeks ago trying to bait people into believing Saginaw had an advantage. Didn’t work though.😂

On an unrelated note, your tv play-by-play person does an excellent job. I do not know his name. I also enjoy the bluntness of Dennis Desrosiers. Hope I got his name correct. Always a pleasure catching the Saginaw telecast.

Agent 53

Sep 4, 2021
I notice an inferiority complex with a number of Hounds fans - they always want to be the victim. Sudbury too. Something up north I guess. I hope Saginaw wins this series just so it’ll quiet some of the whining superhomers from the North, lol.

There’s no officiating bias, it’s just the way it looks sometimes. I made a post in the London thread a few weeks ago trying to bait people into believing Saginaw had an advantage. Didn’t work though.😂

On an unrelated note, your tv play-by-play person does an excellent job. I do not know his name. I also enjoy the bluntness of Dennis Desrosiers. Hope I got his name correct. Always a pleasure catching the Saginaw telecast.
Soo fans are the absolute biggest whiners in the league.

It’s pathetic how much they cry about stuff.

OHLfan200

Nov 28, 2017

There’s no officiating bias, it’s just the way it looks sometimes. I made a post in the London thread a few weeks ago trying to bait people into believing Saginaw had an advantage.

With that said, I really liked the Greyhounds aggressive PK style. Looking forward to Monday nights gam

Must be something in the North? Why have to chirp man? In my opinion? The Oke play wasn’t a 5 minute misconduct. I completely agree with a 2 minute, and Saginaw’s reaction. Someone hits your goalie, you go after them. But BMB is not a physical player, and he absolutely tried to avoid contact: I’m not sure why you’re attacking northern people?

Maybe the fourth goal was due to a missed call sure. But what about Fantino being called for “excessive celebration” leading to goal to which Parekh points to and salutes Greyhounds bench without a call. Maybe it just all evens out in the end?

Either way, it’s going to be a great series between two great teams:

Agent 53

Sep 4, 2021
K bud. 😂. Every fan base has bias
Not a fan of either team in this series thanks, and prior to this season I always thought the Windsor fans were a bunch of babies. They still are, but they don’t cry about everything nearly as hard as you guys do.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Must be something in the North? Why have to chirp man? In my opinion? The Oke play wasn’t a 5 minute misconduct. I completely agree with a 2 minute, and Saginaw’s reaction. Someone hits your goalie, you go after them. But BMB is not a physical player, and he absolutely tried to avoid contact: I’m not sure why you’re attacking northern people?

Maybe the fourth goal was due to a missed call sure. But what about Fantino being called for “excessive celebration” leading to goal to which Parekh points to and salutes Greyhounds bench without a call. Maybe it just all evens out in the end?

Either way, it’s going to be a great series between two great teams:
Couldn't agree more. Fans are going to complain when there's a ton of bad calls, like the first 2 games in this series. We saw it from Guelph fans in the first series and rightfully so. It doesn't make them bad fans.

McConnell Barker didn't even make contact with Oke's head and somehow gets kicked out of the game? I'm flabbergasted that they actually watched the play and came to that conclusion when it was so obvious.

Fans in the arena were losing it when Bloom was called for an offside where he was over by like 6 feet. Let's not pretend this is a trait of one fanbase. It's easy to act all holier than thou when your team has been a massive beneficiary of poor officiating. We've been on the other side and done the same.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad