Saginaw Spirit 2021-22 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Bcspragu…..feel like taking a crack at this years lineup? Not sure we have a full one yet so it will be interesting to see who steps up at training camp

Using only the names listed on the teams preseason roster and Ryan Beck ( he was listed the other day and now that Loukus was added Beck is gone but I assume that's a glitch and not an indication of something else) this is how I would

Bloom-Sapovaliv-Wong
Duhart-Baber-Codd
McNamara-Beck-Loukus
Klein-Blank-Mangone

Mancini-Smith
Mintyukov-Schueating
Blank-Savard

Lennox
Oke

Some names I could see being signed to fill in spots are:

F- Owen Baker*, Carter Mazur*, Benjamin Poitras, Brandon Balazs

D- Tyson Wassink, Chase Pieltia*, P.J. Forgione

G- Robert Andrekos

* denotes a college commit way less likely to sign or even come to camp

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Even if we run a bare bones 13/7/2, we still need to sign 2 more D and 2 F. Along with those mentioned above, will be interesting to see if any notable free agents get invited from programs like Oakland Grizzles, Honeybaked, or Little Caesers. Camp should be ultra competitive.

Reactions: bcspragu

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Even if we run a bare bones 13/7/2, we still need to sign 2 more D and 2 F. Along with those mentioned above, will be interesting to see if any notable free agents get invited from programs like Oakland Grizzles, Honeybaked, or Little Caesers. Camp should be ultra competitive.

Yeah I'm hoping to go to the first Blue-White game and see the roster.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Looks like Fantilli will commit to U of M to play with his brother. No shame in that.

They wont and they shouldn't, but any idea if theoretically Saginaw could declare him as a defected player seeing as there was no camp last year for him not to report to? Flip his rights for a conp pick and get the extra first rounder in 22?

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
What are your thoughts on the current roster? Division contender or middle of the pack? I couldnt tell you anything about Flint. A pre-season roster has not been released.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Honestly have zero idea. Lots of the guys havent played in 18 months (same as everyone). They could have taken steps forward or back. After first couple of blue white scrimmages next week should get a better idea.

Reactions: TcNorth

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Looks like Fantilli will commit to U of M to play with his brother. No shame in that.

They wont and they shouldn't, but any idea if theoretically Saginaw could declare him as a defected player seeing as there was no camp last year for him not to report to? Flip his rights for a conp pick and get the extra first rounder in 22?

Oshawa & Ottawa have unsigned 2004 born 1st picks too. I am curious how the defect rule can be applied as well, as there is little chance any of the three would be willing to re-enter the 2022 draft as 18 yr olds.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Oshawa & Ottawa have unsigned 2004 born 1st picks too. I am curious how the defect rule can be applied as well, as there is little chance any of the three would be willing to re-enter the 2022 draft as 18 yr olds.

I thought Ottawas had signed fairly recently tbh. I could be wrong though.

I dont think it's something Saginaw would even consider, but with Perfetti able to play in the AHL and the team missing out on being able to trade him for a kings ransom an extra 1st in 2022 would make alot of sense if possible.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
Ottawa's 04 1st rounder was Moldenhauer and he has not signed and won't be as he is playing in the USHL.

Saginaw should and will declare Fantilli defective, take the comp 1st rounder, and then trade his rights to another team.

Reactions: bcspragu

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Ottawa's 04 1st rounder was Moldenhauer and he has not signed and won't be as he is playing in the USHL.

Saginaw should and will declare Fantilli defective, take the comp 1st rounder, and then trade his rights to another team.

I appreciate the information, thank you! I'm getting my drafts mixed up mixed up missing the season and just being a casual fan lol.

I wasnt sure how the rule would work with there being no camps last year and if it was still a possibility. 2 first round picks next season would be a big boon in the new rebuilding cycle, especially after missing out on the chance to stock up trading Perfetti

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Not going to go super in depth about the scrimmage last night but:

You can tell Drinkill has a type of d man he likes. All the signed guys are smooth skating puck movers and all looked really good. The new import from Russia absolutely put a kid in a blender, stick handling between a kids legs then passing to himself off the boards and crossing them over on to thier back side.

PJ Forgione launched a slapshot at one point that might be a top 5 hardest shot I've seen at the the OHL level.

Really liked Andrekos and Oke in net. Definitely the 2nd and 3rd goalies behind Lennox.

Klein is going to be a problem for opposing teams. He lined up 2 or 3 absolute monster hits he pulled off of at the last second. Solid size for a 17 year old. Hard shot

McNamara can really fly for a kid who's 6-3. If he can put it together watch out.

Mangone from the U18 draft is a menace on skates always going. If he was 5 10 hed be getting some buzz.

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
Lost Charlie Fink with a nasty broken lower leg or ankle ( it appears ) at today's team game.

What impressed me most was the skating ability of the D men in particular. Mintyokov, Schlueting and Savard for Blue...
and
Smith, Mancini and Forgione on White

The Green Tank

Jun 5, 2021
He looked really solid. Looks like a really mobile puck mover. I think Saginaws style of play is going to really help him

Thank you! He was the 9th overall pick in 2018 and has been a massive disappointment. He has yet to score a goal in his OHL career. I feel for the kid. Tons of pressure being a local kid and his first year he played for Stan Butler who did nothing for him. I hope he's solid for you guys this year.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Lost Charlie Fink with a nasty broken lower leg or ankle ( it appears ) at today's team game.

What impressed me most was the skating ability of the D men in particular. Mintyokov, Schlueting and Savard for Blue...
and
Smith, Mancini and Forgione on White

I think if Saginaw can get Forgione signed those 6 will be our starting d pending any surprises

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Like I said above Drinkill and Laz clearly have a type when it comes to dmen. I'd argue Saginaw has one of the best puck moving, mobile d cores in the OHL.

Plus the entire group we have now can stay together for at least 2 years and most of it can be together for 3 years. Their going to build up a ton of chemistry and should be one of the best blue lines in 22/23, 23/24. That’s going to be huge considering the offense will take some time to really get fleshed out. Gives them a bit of room for growing pains.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Team is about set. How it looks as of now. 13th forward, 7th D (Jovanovic should slot in to top 6, Forgione first sub in), and a 3rd goalie is about what’s left but the regulars seem to be here.

Bloom-Sapovaliv-Wong
Duhart-Baber-Codd
Klein-McNamara-Loukas
Phillips-Gervais-Mangone

Smith Mancini
Mintyukov Schlueting
Savard Forgione

Lennox
Oke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad