Saginaw Spirit 2021-22 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Not sure if your signing of the 6th, 12th, or 3rd round (U18) picks will move the bar that much, but you could have threee very good scoring lines, good top defensemen, and an excellent goalie. Another good team for the Spirit.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Not sure if your signing of the 6th, 12th, or 3rd round (U18) picks will move the bar that much, but you could have threee very good scoring lines, good top defensemen, and an excellent goalie. Another good team for the Spirit.

Honestly this draft was such a crapshoot with the guys not playing in so long. Going to see some players who went way late outplay players drafted in the 1st. Not saying these are those guys but cant count them out either.

Reactions: nelli27

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van

And there’s the 13th forward and 3rd goalie. I suspect we might hear about Jovanovic tomorrow and then we head into the preseason.

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
Interested to see what lines will be looking like in Erie tomorrow

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
So what’s everyone’s call…..are we buyers or sellers this year?

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
The team doesn’t owe the fans any info until T’s are crossed and I’s are dotted. Probably just getting things finalized.

If the player is in town, assumingly billeting, attending team functions, and in photos the team is putting out on social media I'd assume all is are dotted and ts are crossed

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
So what’s everyone’s call…..are we buyers or sellers this year?

With 10 rookies and 2 1st Rd picks next year l would say sellers. Lennox, Smith and Bloom or Codd at or before deadline would put us in good shape for years to come. We should get compensation for the lose of Perfetti to the AHL. As other OHL Teams should if in the same boat.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
With 10 rookies and 2 1st Rd picks next year l would say sellers. Lennox, Smith and Bloom or Codd at or before deadline would put us in good shape for years to come. We should get compensation for the lose of Perfetti to the AHL. As other OHL Teams should if in the same boat.

All the teams that lost players to the AHL rule this season got a significant financial payout from what I heard. Pick compensation would have been nice of course, but how would you even start valuing each player vs what compensation you would receive.

On a side note, I think Lennox is the only player to get moved out this year. Codd and Bloom are only in their 3rd year and would have more value at the next trade deadline and Smith being a local kid is a prime OA candidate for next year. With all these rookies getting thier feet wet this year, and both imports eligable to return, I think the team could actually be a mid tier team next year with the "Go for it years" 2 and 3 years out

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
Scares me how soft this team is…..we need to pick up a few bigger dudes that don’t have any issues throwing the bodies around. Lots of teams will be close in skill especially adding so many rookies so it will come down to some scrappy minutes. We’re not there today

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Scares me how soft this team is…..we need to pick up a few bigger dudes that don’t have any issues throwing the bodies around. Lots of teams will be close in skill especially adding so many rookies so it will come down to some scrappy minutes. We’re not there today

Lot of teams are going to be much better than us in terms of skill (at least developed skill). Scrappy minutes won't be the difference IMO. Almost everyone is designed around a modern game that emphasizes speed, skating, and smarts. It's just going to be a time thing. It's going to be bumpy this season. Just got to let the kids do their growing.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Looks like Perfetti made the Jets opening roster. Watching him in Saginaw was a treat for two years. He continues to develop each season and earned his way on a solid top 9F team.
Even if hes sent down to the Moose he will be a key in the WJC. Love to see him doing well.

Reactions: nelli27

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Was able to make it out to the game last night. So heres my thoughts.

Team looked 100x better than I thought they would in the first. After the camp scrimmages I saw I saw and the roster turn over I knew it would be rough season. But theres some definite talent in spots.

Team got absolutely gassed after 1 period playing down essentially 4 guys. (started 1 short as is, plus Pacey misconduct, and Gervais and Klein not playing much after about half way). Savard 10 min misconduct didnt help either.

The above led to a ton of horrible passing and position play that directly led to the goals agaisnt.

Sapovaliv is a lanky kid but you can see his offensive and defensive mind for the game. Got beat to many times in the dirty areas. If he figures out how to use his size at all efficiently game over for the league.

Tbone looked a little out of sorts. Hopefully just a little first game in 2 years jitters.

Bloom looked deadly in the first. Then tailed off a bit from being out there all the time. Thinking if lines can get rolled a bit more down the road hes really going to come into scoring quite a few this year.

Really really liked Mintyukov. Think hes going to be a good one. Excellent with his stick, got some jam, and has offensive talent. I see a little Hronek in his game if I squint hard enough. Would love to see him with Jovanovic when hes able to give it a go.

Lennox was a horse as expected. Got hung out to dry by a tired defense a couple of times.

All in all lots to look forward to. Team looks feisty out there. Best way to describe it. Being captained by Baber I'm not at all surprised

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
For any Saginaw fans coming to Flint and the Dort Center tomorrow night (Wednesday). all seats (3,939) are sold out. Only standing room (400) tickets available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad