Saginaw Spirit 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener
Saw all The Spirit's games in the Kitchener Showcase Tournament. I can honestly say they're going to be a top contender. Very strong in all areas.

Reactions: Finster8

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Saw all The Spirit's games in the Kitchener Showcase Tournament. I can honestly say they're going to be a top contender. Very strong in all areas.

Credit to Management it’s not easy to have consistent success year after year in the OHL. Saginaw lost some big pieces from last year’s Team (Deadline Acquisitions) but to come back a year after with a highly competitive Team after being in the Western Conference final is impressive! Case in point our friends in Guelph....... going to be a few years to rebuild what is left of that franchise.

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
Credit to Management it’s not easy to have consistent success year after year in the OHL. Saginaw lost some big pieces from last year’s Team (Deadline Acquisitions) but to come back a year after with a highly competitive Team after being in the Western Conference final is impressive! Case in point our friends in Guelph....... going to be a few years to rebuild what is left of that franchise.

Agreed - also very rare to have 2 top goalies. This is hard to do, but Spirit handled the return of the improt goalies well and took advantage of the opportunity.

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
I like the way the rookies stepped up.....many seemed seamless and we need to remember that it is their first taste of the OHL so they will only get better. I also like the fact that we sat out 3-5 vets in each game so when it is all said and done and all the vets are playing they will be even better.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
I like the way the rookies stepped up.....many seemed seamless and we need to remember that it is their first taste of the OHL so they will only get better. I also like the fact that we sat out 3-5 vets in each game so when it is all said and done and all the vets are playing they will be even better.

Agreed, Bulovs 1G, Mancini 1A, Bloom 1G+1A, Smith 1G+2A, Cardwell 1G+2A. The new guys Solovyov 1G, King 1G+2A. Millman leads the team in pts with 5 and looks to be our top D on the PP and will get top 2 TOI.
Now we wait to see who returns from camps and go from there?

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
Imagine Wilde in there as well and you can start talking about competing for a Champuonship

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Gilmour is leaving his remaining year of eligibility in the O and playing for university of New Brunswick this season. Definatly could have found a spot somewhere in the league, but cant fault a kid for wanting to get his education he earned playing here. Best of luck Brady!

As a team, Saginaw only gotta get down one more OA at this point and I assume they are waiting for Arizona's final word on Ivan before they do anything.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
So with Gilmour gone what do our forward lines look like?

Same as they likely were before moved on most likely. I think it was likely known he was the most likely OA to move on if Coskey and Ivan were coming back.

If I was Laz, I'd throw something out like this personally most nights. Certain guys could move up or down depending on preferred size/speed matchups. That said as well, I think Saginaw adds a forward or 2 before it's all said and done.

Giroux-Perfetti-Coskey

Talent on talent here

Goldowski-Jenkins-Busdeker

Size/determination to work over smaller defensemen on other teams. Goldie can move up and down. Puck possession line

Katic-Baber-Porco

Combo of first two lines. Porco has speed to burn and Katic is a tree. Baber is way more talented than given credit for.

Bloom-Cardwell-Codd

Ideally move Cardwell up. His speed and talent will surprise this year. Young but talented. Not a typical 4th line, but speed and skill as an energy line may surprise some other teams.

Bulovs

Has the offensive skill set to play anywhere in the lineup as a fill in. Will need defensively responsible linemates.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Well done bcspragu, as far as the D goes a couple who we could go after Tyler Tucker or Thomas Harley. Forwards Tomasino or Thomas should be on the trading block. DD has a top club but needs to upgrade to make his team even stronger. We have 5-2nds, prospects and potentially trading 1 of our goalies for trade bait.

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
Same as they likely were before moved on most likely. I think it was likely known he was the most likely OA to move on if Coskey and Ivan were coming back.

If I was Laz, I'd throw something out like this personally most nights. Certain guys could move up or down depending on preferred size/speed matchups. That said as well, I think Saginaw adds a forward or 2 before it's all said and done.

Giroux-Perfetti-Coskey

Talent on talent here

Size/determination to work over smaller defensemen on other teams. Goldie can move up and down. Puck possession line

Katic-Baber-Porco

Combo of first two lines. Porco has speed to burn and Katic is a tree. Baber is way more talented than given credit for.

Bloom-Cardwell-Codd

Ideally move Cardwell up. His speed and talent will surprise this year. Young but talented. Not a typical 4th line, but speed and skill as an energy line may surprise some other teams.

Bulovs

Has the offensive skill set to play anywhere in the lineup as a fill in. Will need defensively responsible linemates.

I like what you've got there....I make a swap of Porco and Goldowski but outside of that I think you are probably spot on assuming Cosky comes back.

The D is a little more challenging....think there still may be some moves to make......really depends on Wilde situation.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
I like what you've got there....I make a swap of Porco and Goldowski but outside of that I think you are probably spot on assuming Cosky comes back.

The D is a little more challenging....think there still may be some moves to make......really depends on Wilde situation.

Yeah Wilde is the key for defense. Also as weirdly as it sounds Prosvetov future affects the D greatly. If he makes AHL/ECHL we can slot Webb in as a 2nd RHD, and make a move for a backup goalie.

As for Porco, him and Cardwell should be higher. I just dont think Porco's speed game fits the line of Blade and DJ that works so well together. Personally a line of Cardwell, Baber and Porco could be a fast and talented line, but you are limiting yourself on centers the rest of the lines. Probably why I'm not a coach and just a fan lol.

As for D, if Wilde comes back I'd go top two pairs as

King-Wilde
Solovyov-Millman

Then some rotation of Smith, Lemiuex, and Punnett in the bottom two.

If Ivan is gone and we can keep Webb, he'd slot in Wildes spot if he doesnt return.

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017

Giroux-Perfetti-Coskey

Talent on talent here

Katic-Baber-Porco

Bloom-Cardwell-Codd

Bulovs

I like it.

What if Wilde doesn't return, therefore keeping Webb, and Coskey and Prostevov return, will DJ lose a spot?

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
I like it.

What if Wilde doesn't return, therefore keeping Webb, and Coskey and Prostevov return, will DJ lose a spot?

I think if Wilde doesn't return they still look to move Webb and bring in a different younger RHD over moving DJ. No inside information or anything, just from things I noticed like DJ helping coach at rookie camp and doing some Jr Spirit camps before the season.

However, I do think they may keep 4 oas for a while though and rotate them in and out, and all 3 can play Prosvetov isnt starting and Tahk can backup Lennox.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
I can't see Wilde returning only because they want him in the AHL playing against men. However, I heard he has a sprained ankle so maybe they let him heal in Saginaw. I don't know what the severity of the injury is? If it is nothing then no big deal but if it is going to slow down his development he is better in Saginaw.
Prosvetov is a different situation playing backup in ECHL is not good for his development. Ivan would develop more in he OHL getting plenty of starts.

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
You need to find a few players to play along side of Porco if you want to take advantage of his speed. Funny enough the two fastest skaters next to him are Cardwell and Bloom from what I have seen, having said that they are both rookies (Cardwell has 15 games but still lots to learn). Assume you've got top line of Giroux-Perfetti-Cosky...… next up are Goldowski and Katic but they are too slow to play with Porco and probably need a solid two way center like Baber. That means you basically may need to trade for another RW who can keep up unless you are willing to risk it with raw rookies who may not be ready out of the gate.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Well done bcspragu, as far as the D goes a couple who we could go after Tyler Tucker or Thomas Harley. Forwards Tomasino or Thomas should be on the trading block. DD has a top club but needs to upgrade to make his team even stronger. We have 5-2nds, prospects and potentially trading 1 of our goalies for trade bait.

Tucker & Thomas are players that can be bad at similar cost to Tippett & McCleod. Harley & Tomasino are 2001 born and first two OHL players selected in the last NHL draft. Your ‘03 born 1st & 3-2nds probably is not enough for either one.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Tucker & Thomas are players that can be bad at similar cost to Tippett & McCleod. Harley & Tomasino are 2001 born and first two OHL players selected in the last NHL draft. Your ‘03 born 1st & 3-2nds probably is not enough for either one.
What about the picks you would get for Lennox. It is just trying to create possibilities to improve a solid team already. Could be cheaper people to be had. Creating conversation as to possible additions. Lennox is worth a lot, 3 years of franchise goaltending.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
What about the picks you would get for Lennox. It is just trying to create possibilities to improve a solid team already. Could be cheaper people to be had. Creating conversation as to possible additions. Lennox is worth a lot, 3 years of franchise goaltending.

Lenox is worth a lot. If I had a team (Niagara) looking at, at least a two year rebuild, I would not start it with a franchise goalie to finish with 6th pick instead of 1 or 2 though.
There will be several available players for Saginaw. I just think Harley & Tomasino are for teams wanting to bid on next year’s memorial cup. They will be pricy (if) dealt this season.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI

Don't see Saginaw moving Lennox this season unless he forces a trade. Best thing for the Spirit is to keep Ivan and Lennox if possible and split the workload closer to 50/50. Gets Lennox his PT and keeps wear and tear on Ivan down.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Lenox is worth a lot. If I had a team (Niagara) looking at, at least a two year rebuild, I would not start it with a franchise goalie to finish with 6th pick instead of 1 or 2 though.
There will be several available players for Saginaw. I just think Harley & Tomasino are for teams wanting to bid on next year’s memorial cup. They will be pricy (if) dealt this season.
Agreed, we will be all in and looking forward to what DD has up his sleeve. Tucker would be a great pickup for any contender. Would like to see him in a Spirit uniform as the D is our major concern.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
I like it.

I think the team needs Webb more than Busdeker. DJ does a lot for the team in many ways and is an admired player in the community. As bcspagu mentioned above post 41. To start out with 4 OAs is fine all showing their different roles. I still believe Webb is a quality RD that is needed more this season with the absence of Wilde. If DJ plays well, so does his value, same with Webb. Playing the 4 OAs is a win win situation. Teams get injuries and players start looking better especially if they are playing well. Then only a guy like Tucker is needed. See how we are situated in 20 games and figure out what is needed then to improve the team.
Any suggestions as to who to bring in? 1D and 1F with our present capital.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
How does you guys D look assuming Wilde isn't back? I' m asking because as I've said before I see a good match for a deal with Ottawa as we have a surplus of D. Wilson and Peric are likely available if Hoefenmayer is back. I'm disappointed about Gilmour as I thought he would have been a great fit for us. Who would be available at forward to trade for D as we need help up front?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad