Saginaw Spirit 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
The Spirit seem to be a rising. I'm a fan of a Eastern team but I like to see some new blood in the tough west, especially through the US, good for the game in general. Look forward to seeing your team trip through my neck of the woods this year!

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Saginaw makes a trade with the Steelheads for the rights to Albert Michnac. Spirit will send a 5th (2019) to Missy if he plays a game for us.

Like this trade. Usually don't use a combo OA/Import spot, but would be worth it for a PPG guy. Now it'll just be a matter of if whoever drafts him (if he's drafted) wants him to stay in NA or if they're ok with him going back to Europe.

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
I don't know on this one Pin...not giving up a lot, given the chance he might want to go back to Europe, but it ties up 1 of the 2 slots. I would have just as soon see them try for 2 new Euro snipers and hope that at least one would show. Is Albert better than what we might have drafted?

I feel at this point that with the next right move ( aka a top tender and a strong goal scorer with edgy presence ), this team is set to make a run at it.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
I don't know on this one Pin...not giving up a lot, given the chance he might want to go back to Europe, but it ties up 1 of the 2 slots. I would have just as soon see them try for 2 new Euro snipers and hope that at least one would show. Is Albert better than what we might have drafted?

I feel at this point that with the next right move ( aka a top tender and a strong goal scorer with edgy presence ), this team is set to make a run at it.

Remember we still have a lottery ticket in Necas. We are able to have 3 import players drafted as Necas is a 1st round NHL pick. The chance of him coming here after not coming last year is probably under 1% but better than nothing.

My guess is Michnac will be our 2nd or 3rd line center (Depending on where they put Perfetti) after they move Gilmour.

Leaves a wing spot open for another OA or import and depending on Wilde the other Oa or import can play on defense.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
If we can get a solid goalie in the import draft would save us giving up picks or prospects via trade.
Michnac and another OA upfront plus Mids leaves room to develop all the young talent that needs TOI to improve their game.
Wilde ends up in Saginaw our defense will be solid
Mids-Wilde
Webb--Everett
Davis-Penman Millman

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
If we can get a solid goalie in the import draft would save us giving up picks or prospects via trade.
Michnac and another OA upfront plus Mids leaves room to develop all the young talent that needs TOI to improve their game.
Wilde ends up in Saginaw our defense will be solid
Mids-Wilde
Webb--Everett
Davis-Penman Millman
Isn't Middleton an OA now also? That means just him an Michnac. I could definetly see an import fixing your goaltending situation and I don't see a better option for Wilde unless he chooses another NCAA school. I think he ends up in a Spirit jersey this year.

Reactions: Finster8

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Isn't Middleton an OA now also? That means just him an Michnac. I could definetly see an import fixing your goaltending situation and I don't see a better option for Wilde unless he chooses another NCAA school. I think he ends up in a Spirit jersey this year.
Sure Middleton is an OA. Michnac and another OA forward is 3.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Sure Middleton is an OA. Michnac and another OA forward is 3.
DUMB. I was thinking how it's rare to see (Michnac) Import OA's and my brain just decided 2 OA's. I was thinking how you guys could carry an extra one for awhile or even up to the deadline and STILL I was thinking 2 OA's. Dumb. I guess the offseason has already been too long for some of us.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Not dumb just an honest honest reaction. We both are lucky to have the young talent both teams possess. Nice to see the Michigan teams will be forces over the next few years.

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
And there is a boatload of homegrown talent just waiting to be convinced that the NTDP, USHL, and NCAA are not the only solution. Both clubs need to prove to young players that the OHL route can be successful for American born players.

Reactions: Finster8

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
And there is a boatload of homegrown talent just waiting to be convinced that the NTDP, USHL, and NCAA are not the only solution. Both clubs need to prove to young players that the OHL route can be successful for American born players.
It clearly is the better option for most kids that are ready physically and talent wise. Why go through all the NCAA hassles to play 40-45 games for just a year or two and not get a degree? Not to mention how things will go with scholarships and medical bills if you suffer a career ending injury while playing for an NCAA school. If a kid won't be AHL-NHL ready by age 20-21 then the NCAA is probably the way to go. I thought Saginaw fans were getting ahead of themselves looking to add for this year. Now though, with the import goalie rule (if they score a high-end one), the Wilde decision and Middleton almost certainly returning I could possibly see and would prefer they take a serious shot at this year. I worry that Flint and Saginaw are both lining themselves up for next year. They'll spend time beating each other up and hampering themselves in the standings in a season (2019-2020) where it currently appears might also be go-for-it seasons for Windsor, London, Guelph, maybe Erie and others. Somebody is gonna be going for it every season but to do it the same year as London, Windsor and possibly Erie is scary especially when your I-75 rival is on the same timeframe. I'd much prefer to see Saginaw take a shot this year and Flint next. Both organizations have made strides in making themselves more desirable, they just need to exhibit some on ice post season success.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
I could not agree more this proves homegrown talent can tip the scales in our favour if the Spirit and Firebirds are doing well in the playoffs is the best way to measure success.

Last edited:

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Bode Wilde confirmed to be coming to the OHL. Although apparently they don't know which team? Even if it's not SAG, good news for the Spirit as they'd get the return for him

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
I think Wilde will be traded for a top prospect goalie and a decent defenseman. Off ice serious issues are what held him back in the draft and with NCAA, therefore I think Saginaw will be hesitant to have him in the room. Things are progressing quit well for this team, and I think DD will not mess with what is happening.

Time will tell.

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
I think Wilde will be traded for a top prospect goalie and a decent defenseman. Off ice serious issues are what held him back in the draft and with NCAA, therefore I think Saginaw will be hesitant to have him in the room. Things are progressing quit well for this team, and I think DD will not mess with what is happening.

Time will tell.

Wilde for Dylan Wells and Cole Fraser? ;)

Reactions: Petes
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad