Saginaw Spirit 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I am only asking because I think SSM could be a fit for a 3rd line center and a RW. Busdeker is not exactly the type of quality they need, but if he comes at the right price, they do not exactly have an overwhelming number of assets to get a true top line RW and may have to settle for guys with good potential but come at a cheaper price.

Thanks for the insight though. I knew a little bit about all of them because I do follow Saginaw (and I knew they would make a few players available because they have a ton of young guys coming up), but I did not know exactly what the price would be besides Saginaw likely wanting it to be in pure picks.

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
I am only asking because I think SSM could be a fit for a 3rd line center and a RW. Busdeker is not exactly the type of quality they need, but if he comes at the right price, they do not exactly have an overwhelming number of assets to get a true top line RW and may have to settle for guys with good potential but come at a cheaper price.

Thanks for the insight though. I knew a little bit about all of them because I do follow Saginaw (and I knew they would make a few players available because they have a ton of young guys coming up), but I did not know exactly what the price would be besides Saginaw likely wanting it to be in pure picks.

Grondin would be a great fit for that role. I'd like to see Saginaw pick up another younger defencemen as they are already full of forwards.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I think Saginaw is the perfect trading partner for teams looking for High Breakout Potential guys. There are so many younger guys in this organization I want and I'm just hoping Papineau calls, I've been hoping for a deal since last offseason.

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
I think Saginaw is the perfect trading partner for teams looking for High Breakout Potential guys. There are so many younger guys in this organization I want and I'm just hoping Papineau calls, I've been hoping for a deal since last offseason.

Who fits in with your thoughts or wants?

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Who fits in with your thoughts or wants?
Well, Everett is front and centre in my mind but the price would be high. This is my list of guys I'd want (reasonably, since I'd love Giroux) in order:

Everett - fits the mold on D great for us so he'd be my dream target (behind Giroux) and I think he is going to be a monster D in the next few years.
*Prueter - he is stared as I have no clue how movable he is to you. He would give us the best young C core.
Grondin - could turn our C depth elite with Murray, Byfield, Levin, Grondin, and Bulitka all options
*Penman - see *Prueter's first bit, and I think he could breakout into what we hoped for Lalonde
Davis - doesn't fit the ideal age but would greatly improve our D
Gilmour - see Grondin, but with less chance of being a star IMO
Busdeker - you guys have mentioned him, and we could use an impact RD for Byfield or Murray as our best wingers are lefties
Webb - could be a big asset on our blue line, but not the most exciting piece
Goldowski - see busdeker
Katic - see Goldowski

and other older players could fill holes we have in support roles.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Grondin would be a great fit for that role. I'd like to see Saginaw pick up another younger defencemen as they are already full of forwards.

If you have Penman, Millman, Middleton, Everett, Hill, Davis, Webb, Phillips and potentially Wilde, don't you have too many defensemen?

Otherwise, would Grondin for a 2nd, 3rd and a 5th be fair?

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
If you have Penman, Millman, Middleton, Everett, Hill, Davis, Webb, Phillips and potentially Wilde, don't you have too many defensemen?

Otherwise, would Grondin for a 2nd, 3rd and a 5th be fair?
Whoa whoa, Grondin is ours. And yes, do you not have too many D? We will take one of those too, thanks.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Luckily, we have the picks. Assuming you make a move with us of course.

I don't speak on behalf of everyone, and it would have to be a very particular deal. Not many guys on the roster are going to be available because they do not have a lot of expendable guys with value to offer.

And you'd have the picks regardless. I'd expect Gilmour to net something similar to what Mattinen netted when he went from London to Flint last year: 2 2nd's and a conditional 3rd if he returns for his OA year. Sudbury has those.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I don't speak on behalf of everyone. And you'd have the picks regardless. I'd expect Gilmour to net something similar to what Mattinen netted when he went from London to Flint last year: 2 2nd's and a conditional 3rd if he returns for his OA year. Sudbury has those.
In all honesty I can't see Papineau looking into Saginaw to be honest. Not many of these players fit his bill, or at least what he's showed us unfortunately. I'd love a deal, but the odds are slim.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Whoa whoa, Grondin is ours. And yes, do you not have too many D? We will take one of those too, thanks.

Grondin has been rumored as trade bait and the kid is going to be a good one. I like his game big kid with grit and talent. If l was DD he would stay and see how he does but the right offer he is gone.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
I don't speak on behalf of everyone, and it would have to be a very particular deal. Not many guys on the roster are going to be available because they do not have a lot of expendable guys with value to offer.

And you'd have the picks regardless. I'd expect Gilmour to net something similar to what Mattinen netted when he went from London to Flint last year: 2 2nd's and a conditional 3rd if he returns for his OA year. Sudbury has those.

Gilmour is a team leader and will be back for an overage year unless there is a trade. His value to a talented young core is experience, leadership and by example. If he is 100% back from his injury you could get those same picks and more at the trade deadline? He has a good group around him. Some other trades hopefully are in the works for the a surplus of young talent and vets. I hope they give Katic a good look has size, grit and still a 00 never saw any quality TOI. These guys are lottery tickets not just here but on every team who do you develop and how long does the slump last before times up.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
I do not see what is wrong with Saginaw? He'd be their best defenseman and they are a great team. I think it's more likely Saginaw does not want him than the other way around.

Wait what... Lol

They've made some nice signings this off-season, but they're a great team? Let's pump the breaks on that

And you just said he'd be Saginaw's best D-man, so why would they not want a their best D-man, who'd they'd be getting for free...?

Reactions: TheCoach

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
And you just said he'd be Saginaw's best D-man, so why would they not want a their best D-man, who'd they'd be getting for free...?

Drinkell has built this team while preaching off ice schooling and character (at least that's the talking points). I dont pretend to know the issue Bode had with U of M or what the draft experts were talking about with character issues but possibly Drinkell knows something and would rather move him for a defenseman that fits that mold and not risk upsetting the apple cart.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Drinkell has built this team while preaching off ice schooling and character (at least that's the talking points). I dont pretend to know the issue Bode had with U of M or what the draft experts were talking about with character issues but possibly Drinkell knows something and would rather move him for a defenseman that fits that mold and not risk upsetting the apple cart.

In the tweet I posted initially, it says Wilde wants to go OHL because of the much longer schedule than NCAA because he thinks that'll get him ready for pro hockey

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
In the tweet I posted initially, it says Wilde wants to go OHL because of the much longer schedule than NCAA because he thinks that'll get him ready for pro hockey

Allegedly, Wilde is coming to the OHL because he wasnt granted admission to U of M (according to a Michigan sports writer it was due to his transfering of high schools repeatedly and not having proper credits). He can say whatever he wants after the fact.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180726-153551_Twitter.jpg
    Screenshot_20180726-153551_Twitter.jpg
    627.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Reactions: RayzorIsDull

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Allegedly, Wilde is coming to the OHL because he wasnt granted admission to U of M (according to a Michigan sports writer it was due to his transfering of high schools repeatedly and not having proper credits). He can say whatever he wants after the fact.

This is correct there was a Michigan Hockey podcast probably 6-8 weeks ago that outlined he wasn't going to be accepted. Similar to Oliver Wahlstrom he had the grades but they weren't good enough to get into Michigan especially under the scenario he was only going to be playing 1 year of college hockey.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017

Interesting. Still though, him not having the proper credits doesn't exactly scream "problem guy who will ruin your locker room".

Wonder what he will cost in a trade

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Wait what... Lol

They've made some nice signings this off-season, but they're a great team? Let's pump the breaks on that

Their team is composed of very young, high end talent. They just brought in a very good goaltender in Prosvetov and Cole Perfetti, who could challenge for a PPG in his rookie season. They have a lot of young talent and assets to use to improve their team even more. Pretty much their defense was the only thing lacking last year, but they are all now a year older and more experienced. If they brought in a higher end player like Wilde, especially on defense, that could push them over the top.

There is more involved than what is on the ice. Maybe they feel they can do better by getting a lot out of him in a trade and using those assets elsewhere. Maybe they do not like how raw he is defensively, although I doubt they would not be willing to work that through with him. Just because he's a good player does not mean he's the one calling the shots. Saginaw wins no matter where he ends up in the OHL, because he's either playing on their team or getting them a boat load of picks that they did not originally expect.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Their team is composed of very young, high end talent. They just brought in a very good goaltender in Prosvetov and Cole Perfetti, who could challenge for a PPG in his rookie season. They have a lot of young talent and assets to use to improve their team even more. Pretty much their defense was the only thing lacking last year, but they are all now a year older and more experienced. If they brought in a higher end player like Wilde, especially on defense, that could push them over the top.

There is more involved than what is on the ice. Maybe they feel they can do better by getting a lot out of him in a trade and using those assets elsewhere. Maybe they do not like how raw he is defensively, although I doubt they would not be willing to work that through with him. Just because he's a good player does not mean he's the one calling the shots. Saginaw wins no matter where he ends up in the OHL, because he's either playing on their team or getting them a boat load of picks that they did not originally expect.

No doubt they're going to be a young and exciting team. They're going in the right direction

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
has anyone heard what Sag may want for Wilde?

Although Wilde is much better than Rippon, the Rippon hype was real when he was first being shopped by KIT. And you were getting Rippon for 3 years (now might actually be 4 years because I don’t think he’s making a pro team in his OA year) while Wilde will be here for 2 years.

Rippon was 2 2nds+conditional pick

So I’d guess 2 2nds+3rd might be the starting point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad