Saginaw Spirit 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Wow, that must have stung being up 2 then losing it. Must have been a pretty good squad.

Looking back the roster was made up of some of the greatest Spirit players of all time: Saad, Trocheck, Ross, Locke, Shalla, Walch, Kea, Moutrey, Paterson.

Also we overachieved a bit in that series. Most of us were surprised that we won two games against that Knights squad. Going back further than that to our last division title, I don't think we thought we'd win that series either. We limped in the playoffs that year and went up against a Windsor team that decided to hold onto the likes of Ellis and Kassian and not selling after back to back memorial cups. They had the momentum and we weren't playing well at all. This is unique situation where we are playing good hockey and have reasonable expectations to make the conference finals.

Last edited:

Saginaw 2019

Sep 23, 2018
I would put Gilmour in center with Coskey in right and giroux on left
Keep top line together
Throw Jenkins , buds and porco
And agree keep baber, Micmac and goldy together

Reactions: Finster8

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Fun fact: Arguably the closest we've got to the conference finals was the last time we made it to the second round.

Wow didn't realize it's been somewhat of a drought for you all. Congrats are in order as this years team is most definitely a real candidate to be playing into a third round! Well done and enjoy it while you have the opportunity.

twinsdad

Dec 1, 2014
Grand Rapids
Wow didn't realize it's been somewhat of a drought for you all. Congrats are in order as this years team is most definitely a real candidate to be playing into a third round! Well done and enjoy it while you have the opportunity.
The word "drought" implies that we once had rains (reigns?) There is only one banner in our rafters for the 17 years we have been here. This has been an exciting year and we hope for the best.
Given 20 teams in the league, and proper parity, every team should earn a championship every twenty years and play in the finals every ten years. The fact that we had never gotten past the second round shows we are waaaay overdue.

Reactions: Buttsy and Finster8

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Saginaw could with the addition of Coskey added back to the lineup gives us 4 strong lines but also makes the top 3 lines scary.
Perfetti-McLeod-Tippett
Giroux-Jenkins-Coskey Just my 2 cents but l think Jenkins play making with two 30 goal scorers.
Porco-Gilmour-Busdeker If it is not working switch the center
Michnac-Baber-Goldowski/Cardwell

Murray-Webb
OGrady-Wilde
Millman-Davis Lemieux Hill

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Coskey has the broken jaw? If memory serves me correctly ....... be patient you tend to loose a lot of weight with the jaw wired shut. May take a few games to get his legs back under him.Maybe ease him back in on the 4th line until he is back at a 100% but for sure a big addition to your lineup.

Sagman

Nov 27, 2018
With returning of the injured players, what will the lineup be? This is without Coskey as I don't see him returning.

Gilmour-McLeod-Tippett
Perfetti-Jenkins-Busdeker
Goldowski-Baber-Giroux
Michnac-Cardwell-Porco

Murray-Webb
Davis-Wilde
O’Grady -Millman

Prosvetov
Lennox
Coskey will be in the lineup Friday night. Guaranteed

Reactions: Finster8

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Coskey has the broken jaw? If memory serves me correctly ....... be patient you tend to loose a lot of weight with the jaw wired shut. May take a few games to get his legs back under him.Maybe ease him back in on the 4th line until he is back at a 100% but for sure a big addition to your lineup.
Sure he is not going to be peaking but with his teammates seeing his dedication, determination will step up and play hard because he is back in the lineup. Time will tell, just happy to hear he is back. His conditioning is up to Cole. That helps Saginaw, if not Fri maybe Sun. One game at a time, Go Spirit!!

Reactions: Buttsy

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Draft time again! Spirit have 19, 30, and 48 picks. Best player available at 19 the other 2 should be D. We need at least 1 solid D out of those 3 picks. Next year we have Millman, Lemieux, Phillips?, Davis?, Wilde?, Everett? Webb? to many ? Will need a top 2 D thru trade.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Draft time again! Spirit have 19, 30, and 48 picks. Best player available at 19 the other 2 should be D. We need at least 1 solid D out of those 3 picks. Next year we have Millman, Lemieux, Phillips?, Davis?, Wilde?, Everett? Webb? to many ? Will need a top 2 D thru trade.

Colby Saganiuk seems to be the most common name mentioned as a possibility. Us and PA players are always a good combo. I'd like us to go for a defenseman. Paul Christopoulous, Jack Matier, or Conner Punnett are some names I've seen that might be available when we pick. Seen Roman Schmidt suggested as well. Idk. Maybe roll the dice again on him based on Drinkell's recent recruiting success. Strike while the iron is hot so to speak. Plus he's listed as originally from Midland so maybe we can work the local angle?

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Colby Saganiuk seems to be the most common name mentioned as a possibility. Us and PA players are always a good combo. I'd like us to go for a defenseman. Paul Christopoulous, Jack Matier, or Conner Punnett are some names I've seen that might be available when we pick. Seen Roman Schmidt suggested as well. Idk. Maybe roll the dice again on him based on Drinkell's recent recruiting success. Strike while the iron is hot so to speak. Plus he's listed as originally from Midland so maybe we can work the local angle?

Schmidt and Saganiuk are the gamble picks as both have been invited to the US U-17 team. Saganiuk would be a gamechanger playing with Perfetti and hes insanely talented. I know Saginaw had Deni Goure in for a visit as well. He sat next to us, and was a nice kid. He would make a decent pick as well. As always with Drinkell Saturday should be interesting

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
I'm a Windsor fan, that is thinking of going to tomorrow night's game. Any idea of ticket availability?

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
The Spirit have been so disciplined throughout the season, but there are a lot of dumb penalties in this game. They are really giving the refs no choice, like the cross check from Goldowski, the trip from Murray, and the charging from Webb.

Other than that, I'm thoroughly enjoying the goaltending duel. Here's hoping we see a lot more of the same intense and competitive hockey for the remainder of the series.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Game was closer than what the score indicated as the Spirit win 4-1. Both goalies were excellent and as stated before this will be an awesome series.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Refs handcuffed us a bit in the first there. Good back and forth otherwise the rest of the game. Special teams was the difference tonight. Soo doesn't convert on a single PP and Bode Wilde gets the game winner on the PP. Coskey looked confident for being out so long. That's a good sign. This is going to be really close and really entertaining.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van

USA put our their invites to the U17 team yesterday. People seemed to notice the absence of a certain defenseman. Suggested that Gratton could be our new target.

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
Looked like his shoulder popped out to me. Someone said on the post game radio show the coach said OGrady told him he should be back Sunday. So who knows I guess lol
Based on what I saw, your “diagnosis” makes sense. But as a guy with similar experience, I’d guess he will miss some games.

Reactions: bcspragu
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad