Saginaw Spirit 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slap Shot Rick

Apr 1, 2015
Most of the observations by a few here seem to be focusing on Coskey, Michnac and Wilde as selfish and or lazy. There's also been a MIND NUMBINGLY consistent push by some here to use Gilmour as a trading chip. So let's take a quick look.

I haven't seen a game live yet but based on play by play and posted lines, first line is roughly Gilmour, Coskey, Michnac, Wilde and Webb, yes? They have a combined 8 goals 5 on 5 and are +10 combined.

Shots are also a decent indication of how a team does as far as possession. Hard to out shoot the opponent if you don't have the puck. So, they average roughly 7.29 shots (5 on 5) per game. Considering they have around 27% of all even strength shots on net so far (51 of 190 over 7 games), let's assume our opponents top line averages the same relative amount on a nightly basis. We have given up 145 even strength shots over 7 games or 20.71 per game and at 27% that would be 5.59. This would put their even strength shot differential per game at about 2 when you round up.

They're scoring goals, doing it more that the other top lines, and are out shooting them to this point. I mean if that's lazy, I'll take it and in certainly not trading Gilmour who's a very important part of that equation.

I don't know what others are seeing, but I haven't seen any "lazy" players on this team. They have to work hard to score and that's exactly what these guys are doing.

Reactions: Kingpin794

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
What can you say we are scoring? That will only generate confidence. If our D strengthens so does offense Prosvetov has proven he can steal a game and Lamour is looking good. It's time to see our assets that are not getting TOI. Stepien 01 Hamilton boy, Davis 99 Hamilton boy, Grondin 00, are expendable to wrap into a package for Mattenin and Saigeon. Plus some picks and we are the team to beat?

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
What can you say we are scoring? That will only generate confidence. If our D strengthens so does offense Prosvetov has proven he can steal a game and Lamour is looking good. It's time to see our assets that are not getting TOI. Stepien 01 Hamilton boy, Davis 99 Hamilton boy, Grondin 00, are expendable to wrap into a package for Mattenin and Saigeon. Plus some picks and we are the team to beat?

I like that trade option, and would also consider how to get Robertson from Kingston. I'm thinking they'd like Stepien and Grondin and picks.

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
Hope DD makes something happen. He could wait until Xmas though.

Some people say next year is the year, but with the talent this year, I'd say this should be the year!! Next year will be very strong, but I believe it won't be as strong as this year!

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
Kingston needs picks and young prospects. Robertson would be an excellent acquisition.
Sorry Fin I would not be giving up Stepien or Grondin for this player...he is a Goldowski clone... big but not physical, and not a strong skater. I would however dangle those two players and another for just the right D man

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Sorry Fin I would not be giving up Stepien or Grondin for this player...he is a Goldowski clone... big but not physical, and not a strong skater. I would however dangle those two players and another for just the right D man
IMO think defense first and Mattinen is on a team that need assets back. As far as price tags on players of that caibre and demand that's when you have to see what DD will offer. Robertson to me is worth players and or picks not necessarily Grondin and Stepien. I should have been more clear. As far as other forwards Tippett would be worth Grondin, Stepien and picks. Who are sellers will be determined over the next couple months and more teams will be in the mix.

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
DD I think we wait until Xmas to see who is making a run for it or not. Who knows, we may trade away guys like Gilmour, Coskey, Davis, Webb, Busdeker (99's) and Michnac (98) if we take a big slide and build up better for next year.

But if we are in the running at Xmas, guys like Robertson, McLeod or Tippet would give us a huge bonus up front.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017

Not sure I followed this conversation right, are you saying Jason Robertson is a Goldowski clone, meaning they're a very similar player?

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
What a game by Giroux! Impressive to see, he was on fire!

Jenkin and Giroux are becoming a dominating duo! Every time they are on the ice last night something was happening. Nice to see.

Michnac and Coskey are also becoming a force. When they are on their game, no too many lines will stop them. Gilmour seems to be struggling with them though.

Busdeker and Perfetti are having many chances and good quality shots. I really like them together.

Wilde, Webb and Davis are all solid on defence. Wilde can be scary at times when he carries the puck, but is very effective. I really like Webb and Davis this year.

Big win. Keep it going.

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
Not sure I followed this conversation right, are you saying Jason Robertson is a Goldowski clone, meaning they're a very similar player?

No, no in the sense of point production, but we already have 3 big bodied players in Goldowski, Grondin and Katic. Certainly Robertsons resume reads NHL future, I just wouldn't be trading players metioned for him with what we already have.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Robertson would be 1st line RW, if not the best offensive and defensive F on Saginaw.
Though two OA champions in Naatinen & Saigeon would be awesome and had for a similar cost of Robertson.
It should come done to what the spirit need most ... RW or C; or, a different player altogether at LW.

Reactions: Finster8

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
I'd like to see Robertson come (in exchange for Grondin and Stepien and picks) and move maybe Coskey to centre or Michnac.

Gilmour seems to have a hard time playing with them, so maybe he'd fall down to play with Busdeker and Perfetti's line.

This would be good for Grondin and Stepien as they would have a bigger role in Kingston.

SaginawFan

Apr 29, 2017
What a game!! Too many more fans didn't come out to see this game!

Another big game from giroux, until the final few minutes with Kitchener net empty, he iced the puck twice trying to score, totally selfish and not a captain move, I hope he learns that lesson asap!

Keep it rolling!!

Go Spirit!

Dumpnchase17

Dec 13, 2017
Another great weekend for the Spirit. Some interesting comments and time will tell. I had the chance to catch my first game this year. Looks very much like last years team and hope things will go better than the end of last year. Time will tell ifwe have what it takes. Roberston, Saigen ,are interesting choices. How many other teams are facing the abundance of 99's

Last edited:

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
U-17's: Cole Perfetti and Tristan Lennox selected by Canada.

Canada Russia series: Hayden Davis will play for team OHL on November 8th in Sarnia.

Congrats to all on their selections and keep that momentum going this week.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Well I don't believe in polls much, however our 5-0-1 record brought us up to 9th in the CHL rankings this week. If we intend on staying close Prosvetov has to get across border, luckily we have two home games Barrie a solid team and Flint who are a much better team than their record indicates.
Any Everett updates are appreciated? We need this guy in our lineup or add another OA D-man and top scoring 99 forward. Ya, patience l know. Defense is needed you can't burn them out early add a Mattinen and Everett comes back your D is looking pretty good.
Mattinen-Wilde See if Hamilton is interested in Stepien or Grondin,Katic 1prospect and 3rd+ 5th Rd
Webb-Everett/Penman
Millman/O'Grady-Davis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad