Rumor: Sabres trying to trade Ristolainen - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Sure. But it doesn't change anything. He would get a bump in 5v5 points, but wouldn't close in on the 40 he scores in Buffalo, half of which are coming on the PP.

Hmmm..Virtually no change in PP production but a massive swing in ES production. Almost makes it seem like a player's usage and the team around him matter.

YEARPLAYERES POINTSPP POINTS
2017-18Ryan O'Reilly3423
2018-19Ryan O'Reilly5222
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
And the Sabres would be doing all this just to get AA back. They're not gonna part with Larkin nor will Nielsen likely waive his NTC.

I'm sorry but the ask from Buffalo is unrealistic given that the cap barely budged
Time will tell and you are only using your opinion. I think you are wrong.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Hmmm..Virtually no change in PP production but a massive swing in ES production. Almost makes it seem like a player's usage and the team around him matter.

YEARPLAYERES POINTSPP POINTS
2017-18Ryan O'Reilly3423
2018-19Ryan O'Reilly5222
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Has there been a massive swing in 5v5 production for Risto? I don't have the numbers in front of me but I'm pretty sure this is the first year his 5v5 assists outpaced his PP assists.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Has there been a massive swing in 5v5 production for Risto? I don't have the numbers in front of me but I'm pretty sure this is the first year his 5v5 assists outpaced his PP assists.

Psst. O'Reilly's jump came when he got away from Housley and the Sabres.

ETA: However, Risto did have a bit of a jump from 18 ES points in 2017-18 to 26 in 18-19, while the team jumped from 119 5-v-5 GF to 154, which is actually a more than proportionate increase in output for him (18/119 = 23/154).

I'm not saying Risto doesn't have his warts, but jeez is the guy getting underrated on HF. He's been playing very tough minutes on very bad teams under a lot of different (and all bad) coaches. Put him in a position to succeed, and I bet he thrives.

Last edited:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Psst. O'Reilly's jump came when he got away from Housley and the Sabres.

ETA: However, Risto did have a bit of a jump from 18 ES points in 2017-18 to 26 in 18-19, while the team jumped from 119 5-v-5 GF to 154, which is actually a more than proportionate increase in output for him (18/119 = 23/154).

I'm not saying Risto doesn't have his warts, but jeez is the guy getting underrated on HF. He's been playing very tough minutes on very bad teams under a lot of different (and all bad) coaches. Put him in a position to succeed, and I bet he thrives.

I don't think he's getting underrated. Nobody (or at least, nobody serious) is saying he sucks. We're just saying his role in Buffalo (24-26 minutes per night, top PP time) is likely to be greatly reduced. That'll probably/hopefully help him out defensively, but he's not gonna be a 40 point defenseman on just about any other team. He's even unlikely to be that in Buffalo moving forward, as the D-core grows around him.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I don't think he's getting underrated. Nobody (or at least, nobody serious) is saying he sucks. We're just saying his role in Buffalo (24-26 minutes per night, top PP time) is likely to be greatly reduced. That'll probably/hopefully help him out defensively, but he's not gonna be a 40 point defenseman on just about any other team. He's even unlikely to be that in Buffalo moving forward, as the D-core grows around him.

Giving Risto less ES minutes would only help him IMO (especially if less minutes means less minutes starting in the defensive zone lined up against opponents' best players). When you put him in a role he's properly suited for, you're setting him up to be more impactful, not less.

Slap

Sep 28, 2017
Too bad he doesn't want to play in the Finnish national team. Would be interesting to see what he looks like under a real coach and in an actual system.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
He sucks.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Giving Risto less ES minutes would only help him IMO (especially if less minutes means less minutes starting in the defensive zone lined up against opponents' best players). When you put him in a role he's properly suited for, you're setting him up to be more impactful, not less.

Defensively yes, as I said. Any boost he's given offensively will be massively outweighed by the reduction in PP time though. So what's that leave you with? A 30 point Dman? Who's below average-to-average in his own end? That's a good player, but it doesn't return the kind of players whose names have been thrown around in these threads.

At the deadline, some team might be in a desperate search for a PP Dman, and then I could see Buffalo getting a solid return here. Well, I mean, the return would be solid regardless, but I don't think it's reasonable to expect a 60 point forward.

Last edited:

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
What is Buffalo's cap situation? With Vancouver desperate to trade Eriksson, would Buffalo take that contract in order to get the top-six F they're looking for? Something like that? Where Buffalo takes a negative to get a bigger positive for Risto? Could even up the values.

If we get Eriksson you get Okposo...Okposo gets $6M per too and is viewed as dead weight.

Risto is not negative

If buffalo was taking back Erickson you’d need to include Podkolzin

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Defensively yes, as I said. Any boost he's given offensively will be massively outweighed by the reduction in PP time though. So what's that leave you with? A 30 point Dman? Who's below average-to-average in his own end? That's a good player, but it doesn't return the kind of players whose names have been thrown around in these threads.

At the deadline, some team might be in a desperate search for a PP Dman, and then I could see Buffalo getting a solid return here. Well, I mean, the return would be solid regardless, but I don't think it's reasonable to expect a 60 point forward.

There are plenty of teams in the league for whom Risto would be their best PP d-man. Tampa isn't one of them, but not every team has a Hedman.

Reactions: Rasmus CacOlainen

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
I'm wondering what Vegas especially plans on doing with only Schmidt and Holden as starting quality RHDs on their roster (and overall need for Dmen). They aren't very deep at C (Karlsson, Stastny, Eakin...???) and many FWs have NMC/NTCs...except for Tuch. Does Vegas need to make a push for Ristolainen? If so, is Tuch in the equation?

Ristolainen
Rodrigues (speedy, versatile RH shot FW with 29 pts in 74 gms last season, current RFA that should get about 1 mil)

for

Tuch
Clarkson

So Vegas gets a RHD, a cheap replacement for Tuch, and a 3.5 mil cap savings.
Terribad for Buffalo.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
To Colorado for Compher and 2020 1st?

To Winnipeg for Roslovic and Heinola?
Are you the only one that didnt get the message that Botts is not trading him for futures. Compher as center pieced in Risto trade makes me wanna vomit. Aso for the WPG part even if their fans here are saying no from their POV, I am not trading Risto for 2 maybes, 1 of whom is not even a forward. Roslovic is maybe never a top 6 player, so just like with Compher he cannot be the centrepiece in a Risto trade.

Last edited:
Reactions: Asymmetric Solution

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
It gets worse when you look at who has space I'll take the top 10

1. Colorado -Unless the Sabres are taking back someone like Jost there's no deal. Plus they seem maxed out on D
2. Winnipeg- Sabres better be happy with Perreault going back
3. Ottawa- What 2C??? Next!
4. New Jersey- They FINALLY have a 1-2 punch at center and they just got Subban. I can't think of a worse team for Buffalo to try to trade with
5. Columbus- Already have Seth Jones... Next!
6. Philadelphia- Maybe they're crazy enough to trade Couturier but Risto isn't worth it to them
7. St. Louis- Same problem as CBJ... they've got no use for Risto
8 Minnesota- Matt Dumba.... Next!
9 Calgary- Running out of cap room and have to sign Tkachuk. Have no need to modify the defense
10 Los Angeles- You guys want Jeff Carter?? LOL! Iafallo is clearly in their plans going forward

Buffalo is gonna have to wait. There's no trades to be made right now for what they want.

Seriously.... it's basically Winnipeg as the only somewhat-realistic partner and Buffalo's gonna have to settle

And Ristolainen is not displacing Byfuglien on the #1 PP unit. His defensive metrics are worse than Myers and he was a scapegoat for it here in Winnipeg so giving up more than Perreault is not good for the Jets, in fact it eats up more cap space than actually keeping Perreault and the Jets are up against it with Laine, Connor, Copp and Pionk to re-sign.

And definitely not trading one of our valued forwards like Connor or Ehlers in the name of gaining cap space for a defenseman who cannot defend.

Reactions: Huffer and Snowman

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
To Colorado for Compher and 2020 1st?

To Winnipeg for Roslovic and Heinola?

Absolutely not from a Jets perspective. Not including our most recent 1st round pick.

Even if Roslovic was available, Sabres would need to take back Perreault to make the salaries work and then that becomes too good of a deal for the Sabres as Perreault is still a solid contributor, just a bit overpaid for the ice time he gets in Winnipeg with all their talented young wingers ahead of him.

Or retain salary on Ristolainen which I’m sure they have no intention of doing.

Reactions: Huffer

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
crazy that this thread has gotten into a whole part 2. I thought it would be well and over, but here we are, still waiting on an infamous risto trade. Like man, I can't even believe how many people are so obsessed with this... What is even going on

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Jets would be fools to make that trade.

Not really. Brandon Montour and Risto are very similar. Both are good skating RHD capable of putting up points. Risto is a year younger and even better then Montour. It cost the Sabres a 2019 1st and Brendan Guhle, one of our best prospects who projects as an all around top 4 Dman.

Roslovic and Heinola almost literally are an equal package to what the Sabres paid for a slightly inferior young RHD.

2019 1st = Heinola
Roslovic>= Guhle

Roslovic is trending in the right direction but he hasn't lit the world on fire. He definitely is not worth more then Risto that is for sure. If teams don't want to pay the correct cost he won't be moved period. We don't want M. Perreault and a 2nd round pick for our top 4 24 year old RHD. Sabres paid retail value for Montour. If that offer isn't at least matched value wise then Risto is staying put. HF also was so sure that Alex Nylander was a bust whose trade value was declining every single day. Other teams fans were offering 2nd round picks or their own struggling prospects who were even below Nylander draft pedigree and potential wise. All Botts did was move him for one of the better young RHD in the entire league. To use a good comparison, Joki holds the same value as Heinola does so Botterill was able to move his "busting" prospect for another future top 4 young dman.

CaptPantalones

Oct 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY
Are you the only one that didnt get the message that Botts is not trading him for futures. Compher as center pieced in Risto trade makes me wanna vomit. Aso for the WPG part even if their fans here are saying no from their POV, I am not trading Risto for 2 maybes, 1 of whom is not even a forward. Roslovic is maybe never a top 6 player, so just like with Compher he cannot be the centrepiece in a Risto trade.

If either team calls and offers that, I'm driving risto there myself. I'm taking either without blinking. Both are very good returns for risto and both qill.be very good nhl players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad