Sabres' Training Camp Opens Thursday September 17th

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
I love Larsson-Reinhart-Girgensons as a line, though it does tie up three centers. Switching Kane and Moulson is interesting. I'm not that hot about keeping Gionta on Eichel's wing.

Why is Gionta still in Buffalo anyway? Good teamplayer, nice etc but simply not good enough for his paycheck.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Why is Gionta still in Buffalo anyway? Good teamplayer, nice etc but simply not good enough for his paycheck.

Intangibles, leadership, and he signed a multi-year guaranteed contract before last season.

But, I do believe that down the stretch last season he showed that he still has some game left in the tank.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
The only things that McGinn or Foligno do better than Gionta are skate faster and play more physical.

Gionta is still a better playmaker, scorer and defensive player. There is absolutely a place for him in our top 9, let alone top 12.

I would disagree about the scoring skill at this point for both guys.

Playmaking? Maybe, but he certainly wouldn't be the top playmaker on any of top 3 lines, so its a marginal advantage.

Defensively, again, I'm not sure that's true. If he is, it's marginal.

I don't think Gionta is a duster out there, but at his age and skill set, he just isn't a better fit than other options.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Gionta looked good after returning from his concussion. He looks good in the preseason. He has a place on the team aside from being the captain. He just isn't my ideal winger for Eichel.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
Gionta looked good after returning from his concussion. He looks good in the preseason. He has a place on the team aside from being the captain. He just isn't my ideal winger for Eichel.

I agree. He's an ideal 3rd line player at this point.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

Ya, i agree he has looked good, but to me these are the tough choices when you have a deep team. Is he a more effective player at this stage of his career than Foligno, McGinn, Larsson or Reinhart?

On merits Reinhart is the only one that i think you can objectively say is less effective than Gionta, today, as a winger. So if we need to win a game tmrw my top 12 would be

Kane ROR Ennis
Moulson Ike Girgs
McGinn Larsson Foligno
Des. Legwand gionta/Reinhart

If we need to win next year im plugging reinhart in the mcginn spot or moving Larsson to the wing if Reinhart has developed enough.

So ya, on this team, with this depth, gionta can certainly cover and play anywhere in the lineup and should be decent.

But his role is a gap filler now, there are simply better options for the different roles needed in the lineup.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Gionta just needs to be a calm leader during the regular season. He knows how to pace himself at this point in his career. If they make the playoffs or get into a playoff race we'll see another gear, no doubt. Until then, I'm not worried about him at all. He'll be a safe choice on whatever line he's put, no need to worry about him.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
There are 23 guys listed on that roster. If Kaleta is in a red, non-contact jersey, that brings them down to 22.

Nibbler

May 24, 2011
Ambassador to Earth

I disagree. He looked pretty damn good in the second half of last season. Give him a solid line to play on and I bet he can still put up 40-50 points.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Might be a long night in Minny. I like this though. It will give Dan a change to see how players handle 20 plus minutes vs top line NHLers.

I like it too. Definitely no pressure to win with this squad, but there will be a lot to analyze. I hope to see a top line of Foligno/Larsson/Reinhart just to see what they can do in that role. Should be a fun game, with none of the big names.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I like it too. Definitely no pressure to win with this squad, but there will be a lot to analyze. I hope to see a top line of Foligno/Larsson/Reinhart just to see what they can do in that role. Should be a fun game, with none of the big names.

You mean hear what they can do in that role. :cry:

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
CQPkxLdVEAA9BtO.jpg

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Reminder - Tonights game in Minnesota will be third game of three pre-season games where they will be playing a five minute 3 on 3 overtime period - no matter what the regulation score ends up being. Sabres are 0 for 2 in these mandatory 3 on 3 overtime periods - losing at Minnesota (winning goal was scored with 8 seconds left in the overtime period) and at home vs Ottawa (winning goal was scored 39 seconds into the overtime period).

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad