Confirmed with Link: Sabres trade Marcus Johansson to Minnesota for Eric Staal

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
This still doesn't feel real. Eric Staal is a fringe hall of famer. A cup, 100 point season, 1000+ points and 436 goals on his resume and counting. If he plays 3 more years he will hit 500 goals. 500 goals, 1100+ points and a cup sounds like a HoF career to me.

Staal was my top vet 2C target. Monahan was my fantasy but Eric Staal was my realistic #1 wish and it happened. He is still a top 30-40 center offensively and literally fully replaces RoRs offense at the 2C spot. I am actually real excited for this season. A top 9 featuring Eichel, Olofsson, Staal, Reinhart, Skinner, Kahun, Cozens is very scary.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
This still doesn't feel real. Eric Staal is a fringe hall of famer. A cup, 100 point season, 1000+ points and 436 goals on his resume and counting. If he plays 3 more years he will hit 500 goals. 500 goals, 1100+ points and a cup sounds like a HoF career to me.

Staal was my top vet 2C target. Monahan was my fantasy but Eric Staal was my realistic #1 wish and it happened. He is still a top 30-40 center offensively and literally fully replaces RoRs offense at the 2C spot. I am actually real excited for this season. A top 9 featuring Eichel, Olofsson, Staal, Reinhart, Skinner, Kahun, Cozens is very scary.
As long as he doesn't fall off a cliff I feel like he's even better value for Monahan considering the contract, and whatever assets we would have had to give up.

Reactions: brian_griffin

billsandsabres

lurking
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
troy, ny
This is Peters at his best.

yeah the first 2-3 minutes here were pretty hilarious. instigators has cringeworthy stretches, but when petey and rivet are going off script and just shooting the breeze, i do get a kick out of it, especially when biron is on.

sorry, going off topic there. eric staal. there, now it's legal.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
As long as he doesn't fall off a cliff I feel like he's even better value for Monahan considering the contract, and whatever assets we would have had to give up.

Facts. Monahan was a luxury beyond 2021 with Cozens the long term 2c. We got a center who will provide 80% of Monahans production for not even a third of what the cost would have been.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
I would have loved that tbh

I would have stopped watching this. That was our best chance to win a Stanley Cup outside of the Hull debacle in 99'. I like the move for Staal, because it makes too much sense, but wearing a 99' cap would definitely not be the way to align yourself to a fan base, even if it is for one year and no one in the stands. Also, if it was pure sarcasm, I get that too :P

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I would have stopped watching this. That was our best chance to win a Stanley Cup outside of the Hull debacle in 99'. I like the move for Staal, because it makes too much sense, but wearing a 99' cap would definitely not be the way to align yourself to a fan base, even if it is for one year and no one in the stands. Also, if it was pure sarcasm, I get that too :P

I don't think most fans take it quite that seriously and would be fine with a lighthearted joke like that. It was a long time ago, most of us are over it.

Reactions: drew5580

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005

The thing with that series is that it was bad luck, unlike 99 which was bullshit blatant rule violation.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse

The thing with that series is that it was bad luck, unlike 99 which was bullshit blatant rule violation.

In terms of Sabres chances of winning the Cup, IMHO, they rank as follows:
Best: 2006 ECF loss. Great team, great depth, the West playoffs broke freakishly in favor of BUF (no discredit to EDM, but Dwayne Roloson was wearing Cinderella's glass skate that Spring) and only the baddest luck kept BUF out of the final. Remember, BUF was 20 minutes away from the Cup final playing only 1 of their regular season top-5 d-men.

Next best: 1999. Hasek and a bunch of pluggers. The no-goal was allowed, but if it was disallowed, there's no guarantee BUF would have won either that game 6, or game 7 back in Dallas. No guarantee whatsoever, even with Hasek.

Third best chance: 1975. Before the Finals, the Sabres surprisingly beat the vaunted Canadiens a year before Les Habs rattled off 4 straight cups and figuratively lapped the field in '76-77. Then the Sabres ran up against the Flyers who were an excellent match for BUF with their physicality as well as their talent. Winning game 6 in BUF and sending it back to PHI would have been a tall task. Winning game 7 in PHI would have been a near-miracle. Bernie Parent was unbeatable for both Flyer Cups (I started following that season, didn't see the Flyers first Cup win, but those Sabres teams from mid-thru-late 70s before Bowman arrived were incredibly talented and entertaining. Smaller rosters, more wide-open end-to-end rushes, especially when playing similar high-skill teams like Montreal.)

Today's Sabres could use a Roger-Crozier-like vet goalie. Maybe @Old Navy Goat's pitch for Ben Bishop has more merit than some are giving it.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Dallas players have admitted that Buffalo would have won 7, because they were so gassed. That said, I agree with your rankings. The Sabres / Oilers series had sweep potential, and I think if even one Sabres blueliner had not been out injured, buffalo hangs on in game 7.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Dallas players have admitted that Buffalo would have won 7, because they were so gassed. That said, I agree with your rankings. The Sabres / Oilers series had sweep potential, and I think if even one Sabres blueliner had not been out injured, buffalo hangs on in game 7.

id say Connolly being gone was the bigger impact of anybody and if he’s in the lineup, even with the other injuries on the blueline, It’s a different series and I think we win.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
id say Connolly being gone was the bigger impact of anybody and if he’s in the lineup, even with the other injuries on the blueline, It’s a different series and I think we win.

I dunno man. Rory Fitzpatrick and Doug Janik combined for 35 minutes of ice time in that game. Jay McKee in that game instead of Jillson, Campbell probably doesn't have as many minutes, maybe doesn't delay of game it.

Man. McKee, Teppo, Tallinder, and Kalinin all out. What a god damn nightmare ending to an amazing season.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
StaalAdidasRoyal_1024x1024@2x.jpg

*PRE-SALE* Adidas Authentic Royal STAAL Jersey

StaalAdidasWhite_1024x1024@2x.jpg

*PRE-SALE* Adidas Authentic White STAAL Jersey

In case you want to pre-order a Staal jersey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad