Confirmed with Link: Sabres trade Marcus Johansson to Minnesota for Eric Staal

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
StaalAdidasRoyal_1024x1024@2x.jpg

*PRE-SALE* Adidas Authentic Royal STAAL Jersey

StaalAdidasWhite_1024x1024@2x.jpg

*PRE-SALE* Adidas Authentic White STAAL Jersey

In case you want to pre-order a Staal jersey.
So sick

Reactions: allsilverdreams

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
So how has Staal been? Any interest in reversing the trade?

MoJo sucks, big time. Management stopped pretending he could play C after the first game, and if things keep going the way they are, they'll have to admit that he can't play wing, either. He is getting top 6 time, but is a completely invisible at best, a drag on his line at worst. As far as I'm concerned, he should be on the 4th line.

I don't understand how GM's can make trades like this. So obviously stupid.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse

MoJo sucks, big time. Management stopped pretending he could play C after the first game, and if things keep going the way they are, they'll have to admit that he can't play wing, either. He is getting top 6 time, but is a completely invisible at best, a drag on his line at worst. As far as I'm concerned, he should be on the 4th line.

Just be glad you weren't a Sabres fan during the GM Jason Botterill tenure. Your life expectancy would be a few years less, liver would be hard, etc.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Didn’t you see....

ALL SALES FINAL. !!!

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse

Staal has been Staal imo. He is a hockey player and is present, but not invisible or a difference maker. But you look at the stat sheet and every other game he seems to have a point.

he is something the Sabres really needed. I hope MoJo gets it going for you all

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

Looked really off the first maybe 3 games. He wasn't alone there (see: Eichel, Dahlin). Things seem to be clicking both for himself, his line, and his PP unit. I love that his locker is next to Cozens, Cozens has usually been his RW, and they play together on PP2. For half a game Hall was their LW. I'd like to see that again or Skinner there for a game, but if Olofsson-Staal-Cozens builds on last game I won't complain.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yeah, Staal never looks great, but you look on the stat sheet and he's got 2 or 3 points every 3 gp. His shot is highly underrated, which is bizarre considering how many goals he has scored. I think it's that his form when he shoots looks so casual.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Yeah, Staal never looks great, but you look on the stat sheet and he's got 2 or 3 points every 3 gp. His shot is highly underrated, which is bizarre considering how many goals he has scored. I think it's that his form when he shoots looks so casual.

Sounds like his impact at practice and in the locker room has been huge for this team too. They needed leadership from a well respected vet.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Looked really off the first maybe 3 games. He wasn't alone there (see: Eichel, Dahlin). Things seem to be clicking both for himself, his line, and his PP unit. I love that his locker is next to Cozens, Cozens has usually been his RW, and they play together on PP2. For half a game Hall was their LW. I'd like to see that again or Skinner there for a game, but if Olofsson-Staal-Cozens builds on last game I won't complain.
Agreed. Away from the puck the first few games his positioning was fine from a lane / angle perspective, but his gap control was too distant. Haven't watched him in particular as closely past couple games (obviously aside from goal replays). Will focus more on him tonight.

Reactions: Chainshot

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
If Staal helps develop Cozens then it is a home run. He has had a couple of head scratching plays but overall I have been happy with what he has brought on ice.

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
If Staal helps develop Cozens then it is a home run. He has had a couple of head scratching plays but overall I have been happy with what he has brought on ice.
Definitely. It's one thing for Cozens to have two hot shots in Eichel and Hall to be around, but also having a guy nearly twice his age who's been through it all as a mentor is tremendous.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I like Staal's play in recent games, although in the beginning he was invisible.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011

Staal hustles on nearly every play and he's generally well positioned to make a good pass or take a shot. He typically has very little speed, but his game relies on hockey smarts and positioning

There were a few loud voices here saying Staal was washed up after he went scoreless the first three games, but he's begun adjusting to the new team, coach, and role and he's begun looking comfortable--especially on the second power-play unit of late

With Johansson, the biggest issue is teams expecting him to become something he's not--namely a center. I hope your team just accepts Johansson as a solid winger and puts him in a position to succeed since you guys are already invested in him

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
I like Staal's play in recent games, although in the beginning he was invisible.

Last year the HF Wild board was freaking out about Staal through the 1st 9 games saying he was done.

I know this because last year I thought he was the ideal cheap 2C pickup we could have targeted at the beginning of the year so I was looking closely.

Reactions: brian_griffin

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Not gonna lie. I was really worried after that Staal giveaway in game 1. That was like BOGO brain level bad.

Staal has looked decent the last few games and his leadership undoubtedly brings a lot to this young team even if he doesn’t end up contributing much to score sheet.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Staal hustles on nearly every play and he's generally well positioned to make a good pass or take a shot. He typically has very little speed, but his game relies on hockey smarts and positioning

There were a few loud voices here saying Staal was washed up after he went scoreless the first three games, but he's begun adjusting to the new team, coach, and role and he's begun looking comfortable--especially on the second power-play unit of late

With Johansson, the biggest issue is teams expecting him to become something he's not--namely a center. I hope your team just accepts Johansson as a solid winger and puts him in a position to succeed since you guys are already invested in him
Unfortunately, MoJo just doesn't look like a good player right now, nvm a C. He has had time with Fiala or Kaprizov on his line almost every game, and he still looks like nothing. Even his defense, supposedly a strength, has been MIA. A guy like Foligno, for instance, has been a far better, and more impactful, player.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

Much better than Scandella

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad