Confirmed with Link: Sabres trade Jonas Johansson to Colorado for a 6th round pick in 2021

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
No one talks about that guy. Total mismanagement. Again. You had to have him signed after year one because it's Buffalo. Year 2 was last chance and by then you needed to wow him with big contract and maybe agree to burn a year of first contract with games in NHL. It was 2015-2016, it could have been done. They waited and waited and, guess what, no desire to play in Buffalo once he had a choice.

You want to draft college guys, you almost have to have them signed after year 1 if you are Sabres.

You're using a bit of revised history there. He was a 5th round pick. Spent his D+1 year in the USHL. His first 2 years in the NCAA were rather ordinary and he wasn't really on the "Must give a contract" radar. I'm pretty sure if we contracted him after his 2nd NCAA year, eyebrows would have been raised. Then he takes off his final year of eligibility, becomes a legit NHL prospect.........but by then we were in full tire-fire mode and you can't blame him for wanting to test the market.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
Found this regarding Cal Petersen

Cal Petersen

It's a nice year by year synopsis of his career at Notre Dame. Here's a notable highlight from his freshman year:

"Played 151:42 in the longest collegiate hockey game ever played, a 4-3 five overtime game one loss to UMass in the opening round of the Hockey East playoffs (March 6), making a NCAA Div. I record 87 saves in that game versus the Minutemen."

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Tuned into Avs/Phoenix game briefly only to see JJ give up a quick goal on a weak point shot two minutes in.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
so we drafted this kid in the 3rd round and he's turned out to be a decent AHL goalie. he gets a few NHL games and then he's traded for a 6th round pick. am I supposed to think this is a good job by the sabres? congrats on taking a 3rd round pick in 2014, who was statistically unlikely to make the NHL but did anyway, and turning him into a future 6th round pick, who will almost certainly not become an NHL player or AHL player.

Last edited:

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
so we drafted this kid in the 3rd round and he's turned out to be a decent AHL goalie. he gets a few NHL games and then he's traded for a 6th round pick. am I supposed to think this is a good job by the sabres? congrats on taking a 3rd round pick in 2014, who was statistically unlikely to make the NHL but did anyway, and turning him into a future 6th round pick, who will almost certainly not become an NHL player.

i mean i guess a 6th round pick is better than a kick in the testicles, but...like...why did they do this

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
so we drafted this kid in the 3rd round and he's turned out to be a decent AHL goalie. he gets a few NHL games and then he's traded for a 6th round pick. am I supposed to think this is a good job by the sabres? congrats on taking a 3rd round pick in 2014, who was statistically unlikely to make the NHL but did anyway, and turning him into a future 6th round pick, who will almost certainly not become an NHL player or AHL player.
Where a guy was drafted 7 years ago has absolute no bearing on their trade value today.

i mean i guess a 6th round pick is better than a kick in the testicles, but...like...why did they do this

Probably to get something for a player who wasn’t in their plans going forward. He would be at best our 4th goalie but more likely the 5th.

Kid might have some development growth left. But he would be behind UPL next year.

Last edited:

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
JJ and the Avs lose. JJ surrendered 2 third period goals to allow the Coyotes to tie it at 4-4. Went to shoot out and JJ let in all 3 shots. Avs lose 5-4. JJ saved 28 of 32 during regulation and was able to find his sweet spot as far as save percentage goes - .875. Probably just first game jitters :laugh:

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
He wasn't terrible. He made some nice saves but was jittery. The shootout is straight garbage and he is not great in tight with shooters. Avs practices just need to throw shots at him w screens and make him track it.

I was also surprised at how loose the Avs d-men are in their own zone. A lot of blown coverages.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

It’s not like we went out searching for suitors for JJ. They came to us for him, for some reason. For a 2014 3rd rounder that couldn’t win the starting job from a bunch of other goaltenders, he’s not exactly someone you hold steady on if someone came calling with a late draft pick.

Him being in the NHL had more to do with injuries and seeing what you have. It turned out to be useful even if it was a late draft pick. You’re not getting that if he stays in the AHL.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Not a very solid D effort from the Avs last night. Especially compared to their previous 4 outings. And that left JJ in a vulnerable position because he's not a "I'll bail yer ass out when you aren't at your best" type of goalie.

Team speed was slower which helped AZ compete and the Avs passing was off and not crisp. It probably didn't help that this was the 2nd game of a back to back series. Makar did not have a good game and displayed some skating and difficulties thru the entire game. Byram did not play and his replacement is no where near as complete a player.

JJ looked nervous and over reactive most of the game. The score could have been worse if puck angles and directions changed a tiny bit because JJ was out of position more than a few times on plays. Going to a shoot out certainly did not help his confidence level. AZ's shooters made it look easy. The kid is gonna need some help from the coaching because he's got to be a bit depressed after that one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad