Confirmed with Link: Sabres trade Jonas Johansson to Colorado for a 6th round pick in 2021

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Yes cause we are so f***ing good at drafting. Or have a cheap useful piece that might still have development left. Smart move by an actual NHL franchise to get at least a guy that can play for nothing. Jonas might not be a world beater but hes not the overexaggerated "trash" that the internet is so fond of using.

I agree with you that he could have some development left. But I think where he fits in the organization going forward is why they moved on from him.

JJ would most likely be our #4 or #5 goalie going into next season. He wouldn’t be one of our NHL goalies. UPL will be #3 and the starter in Rochester. Whether or not the organization wanted to pair UPL with a vet AHL goalie would determine where JJ fell in the pecking order. If they wanted to it would make JJ #5.

The pandemic shortened season really killed any chance for JJ to build on those strong 22 gms with the Amerks last year. It also allowed UPL to leapfrog over him in the pecking order. If this was a normal year JJ likely starts off as the Amerks #1 with UPL starting in Cincy. Then the season plays out and we see what we have with JJ and if he can build on those games.

I don’t know enough about the Avs goalie situation to know where he would fit in there going forward. @littletonhockeycoach probably does. I don’t think being a pending free agent will matter that much to a goalie like JJ who will be looking at opportunities. For example if he had a great shot at the #3 spot in the Avs organization that would be a good fit for him.

EDIT: Plus the obvious benefit of working on his game playing behind a far better team. It would take a ton of pressure of him.

Last edited:

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
New backup goalie Jonas Johansson joins Avalanche for road trip to Arizona
Jonas Johansson:
“It’s been an intense 24 hours for me, with the travel and getting everything together. The main feeling is just, I’m really pumped up, really excited about coming here and being with this organization. I try to look at the future here and what’s been happening has been happening. I think there’s only good things to come from this. I try not to look back too much. I’m thankful for my time in Buffalo but I’m excited to start new things here. The only thing I can focus on is giving the team the chance. That’s what I’ve been doing and what I’m going to keep doing.”

He'll probably start Monday or Tuesday when the AVs play back to back games with the Coyotes. He's a significant upgrade over Miska. Colorado has scored 23 goals in their last 4 games. It take a lot of the pressure off a goalie when he doesn't feel he has to be perfect to win.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Who the f**k is this guy?

Making himself looking incredibly stupid, embarrassing.

"He doesn't stop pucks in practice or games."

Really, what the f**k is this, bullying? Working for The Athletics, really, hopefully not for much longer.

Last edited:

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

Really, what the f**k is this, bullying? Working for The Athletics, really, hopefully not for much longer.

Vogl's usually a pretty straight shooter. Doesn't kowtow to the Pegulas but is usually very fair all around.

If Vogl says JJ doesn't stop pucks in practice, I believe him. He's not one to stir up drama like some of our other crack local media "mavens"

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Vogl's usually a pretty straight shooter. Doesn't kowtow to the Pegulas but is usually very fair all around.

If Vogl says JJ doesn't stop pucks in practice, I believe him. He's not one to stir up drama like some of our other crack local media "mavens"

Vogl is just trying to be funny. JJ has a .884 SA so obviously he stops pucks in games. That's better than Thomas Greiss, Ryan Miller, Carter Hart, and Matt Murray.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

Buffalo media journalist that provides much in the way of opinions and little in the way of news.

I’m pretty bias against him, as he carried hard the narrative of ROR being a bad influence in the room for the Pegulas during that fiasco, but I find his writing to be very condescending.

He’s an annoying gnat that exists from your typical Buffalo sports media member.

You’d probably find better opinions on these boards than anything from any journalists.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
Yep the only thing you can say they probably should’ve done differently is giving him a starters chance in the AHL, but even that you could say he didn’t earn it.

I mentioned it upthread, but despite not having the opportunity to be the starter in Rochester, he did make the All Star Game last season.

Overall, I think Buffalo did right by him developmentally except as mentioned relative to being " the starter in Rochester". I think Cal Peterson not having signed sort of threw what you expect to be the normal course of development a curve ball. In the normal course of events, I think you'd expect Peterson to be the guy on whom Buffalo would be leaning right now - but he's elsewhere. The Covid pandemic did not help , to be sure. but the Sabres do have UPL and Portillo on the horizon. I will be curious to see how he plays once out of the Sabres' maelstrom of dysfunctionality.

Last edited:

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I mentioned it upthread, but despite not having the opportunity to be the starter in Rochester, he did make the All Star Game last season.

Overall, I thing Buffalo did right by him developmentally except as mentioned relative to being " the starter in Rochester. I think Cal Peterson not having signed sort of threw what you expect to be the normal course of development a curve ball. In the normal course of events, I think you expect Peterson to be the guy on whom Buffalo would be leaning right now - but he's elsewhere. The Covid pandemic did not help , to be sure. but the Sabres do have UPL and Portillo on the horizon. I will be curios to see how he plays once out of the Sabres' maelstrom of dysfunctionality.

He had good statistics for sure. But the next step in his development should’ve been to play starter workload. But it’s not like he locked down the starter role down there despite the all-Star selection.

Will be interesting to see how long he lasts in Colorado’s system and pipeline.

Reactions: Dex

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
He's a significant upgrade over Miska.

You got that right! Miska was at best an ECHL level goalie. Francouz is the backup but he's still out. JJ is the 3rd goaltender who can be a decent back up behind a solid D composed of..... Toews (#1!), Makar, Girard, Bowen, Graves, McDonald .... with Timmons on IR.

Seriously, there are really no holes in this D when everyone is healthy and JJ's level of play works for the Avs.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
I agree with you that he could have some development left. But I think where he fits in the organization going forward is why they moved on from him.

JJ would most likely be our #4 or #5 goalie going into next season. He wouldn’t be one of our NHL goalies. UPL will be #3 and the starter in Rochester. Whether or not the organization wanted to pair UPL with a vet AHL goalie would determine where JJ fell in the pecking order. If they wanted to it would make JJ #5.

The pandemic shortened season really killed any chance for JJ to build on those strong 22 gms with the Amerks last year. It also allowed UPL to leapfrog over him in the pecking order. If this was a normal year JJ likely starts off as the Amerks #1 with UPL starting in Cincy. Then the season plays out and we see what we have with JJ and if he can build on those games.

I don’t know enough about the Avs goalie situation to know where he would fit in there going forward. @littletonhockeycoach probably does. I don’t think being a pending free agent will matter that much to a goalie like JJ who will be looking at opportunities. For example if he had a great shot at the #3 spot in the Avs organization that would be a good fit for him.

EDIT: Plus the obvious benefit of working on his game playing behind a far better team. It would take a ton of pressure of him.
See above post reply to Buffaloed........

Reactions: joshjull

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
He had good statistics for sure. But the next step in his development should’ve been to play starter workload. But it’s not like he locked down the starter role down there despite the all-Star selection.

Will be interesting to see how long he lasts in Colorado’s system and pipeline.

Watched a bunch of Petersen lately. He's pretty darn good. Wish the Sabres could have signed him but whoever was advising him to avoid signing with a shitshow was pretty much on target. Still a significant loss for the Sabres.

He finally cracked under the relentless pressure of the Av's shooting derby late in the 1st recent game vs Kings. NO GOALIE should be expected to put up with that many shots!

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Watched a bunch of Petersen lately. He's pretty darn good. Wish the Sabres could have signed him but whoever was advising him to avoid signing with a shitshow was pretty much on target. Still a significant loss for the Sabres.

He finally cracked under the relentless pressure of the Av's shooting derby late in the 1st recent game vs Kings. NO GOALIE should be expected to put up with that many shots!

No one talks about that guy. Total mismanagement. Again. You had to have him signed after year one because it's Buffalo. Year 2 was last chance and by then you needed to wow him with big contract and maybe agree to burn a year of first contract with games in NHL. It was 2015-2016, it could have been done. They waited and waited and, guess what, no desire to play in Buffalo once he had a choice.

You want to draft college guys, you almost have to have them signed after year 1 if you are Sabres.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
No one talks about that guy. Total mismanagement. Again. You had to have him signed after year one because it's Buffalo. Year 2 was last chance and by then you needed to wow him with big contract and maybe agree to burn a year of first contract with games in NHL. It was 2015-2016, it could have been done. They waited and waited and, guess what, no desire to play in Buffalo once he had a choice.

You want to draft college guys, you almost have to have them signed after year 1 if you are Sabres.

I think that's a pretty unfair take.

Reactions: Zman5778

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad