Speculation: Sabres to call up a center from Amerks

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Calling up Grigorenko for a bottom line role replacing McCormick doesn't make much sense.

Let's be honest, with the nightly line changes, there really is no "bottom line role" these days. There's the top line and the rest. If Grigorenko truly earned the call up, they'd move people around and find a place for him. No matter who you put him with, it's going to look like a bottom line on this team, you know? (Assuming they're not messing with the top line.)

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Why would we call up Grigorenko to take McCormick's role again? McCormick is their 4C who's getting heavy PK minutes. That screams Schaller (or Larsson, but I think he's a wing going forward).

Nolan isn't changing the formula after winning three in a row.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I thought Schaller was a project with NHL potential? I don't see how he's not important. Seems like he deserves a look.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
We have three bottom lines. He'd be between Stewart and Foligno. It's not like you are asking him to play 6 minutes with Kaleta.

So much for earning a call up, I guess.

Varone and Schaller have both been playing better on a consistent basis than Grigorenko.

Plus, if they call up Grigorenko and play him on a lower line, you will get the refrain of "why play him with those wingers...." talk.

I'd rather see Schaller or Varone get the call up and Grigorenko gets a chance to get a few more minutes in Rochester.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
So you can judge his progress, or so management can judge his progress? Because management can judge his progress just fine while playing for the Amerks. I doubt they call him up just so that Stokes can get a look. If the organization's lukewarm comments about Grigo's game so far are any indication, he's not consistent enough yet, and he's not ready yet. There are 4 others ahead of him that deserve the call up first, as of this point in time (Schaller, Larson, Varone, Armia)

Yup. It would be different if grig was dominating and you wanted to see if he could do so against nhl guys. He is playing decently but hardly at even an ahl all star level. Let him get his twenty minutes in Roch.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
So much for earning a call up, I guess.

Varone and Schaller have both been playing better on a consistent basis than Grigorenko.

Plus, if they call up Grigorenko and play him on a lower line, you will get the refrain of "why play him with those wingers...." talk.

I'd rather see Schaller or Varone get the call up and Grigorenko gets a chance to get a few more minutes in Rochester.

Earning it went out the window when they kept Reinhart ahead of Grigorenko.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
I got it.

When it suited your argument it was all about earning your spot.

Now that it doesn't, it goes out the window.

:shakehead

What does my opinion have to do with it? That was the precedent that was set. Nobody should be talking about "earning it" anymore. Murray blew that idea out of the water.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I got it.

Stokes never got the newsflash, Grigorenko didn't earn it then, and hasn't earned it now.

But it is entertaining to see someone's own agenda force them into contradicting themselves

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I got it.

Duh.

In any event, I would imagine that Nolan thinks he's found something of a magic lineup formula and he'll look to plug the lineup with a similar 4C/PK-type, which will probably be Schaller's role in the NHL if/when he makes it there.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
What does my opinion have to do with it? That was the precedent that was set. Nobody should be talking about "earning it" anymore. Murray blew that idea out of the water.

I think a great precedent was set: Do what's best for an integral player's long-term development over short-term rewards like a couple more points in what will be a lost season. And it seems to be working out fine. Fantastic.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I was wondering about this Grigs earned it thing. What and how did he earn NHL ice time in training camp? He looked better than he did earlier in his career, but not like he was great even in preseason games. What exactly did he do to say he definitively earned a spot in the NHL?

Remember he is in the AHL on a line with another top prospect and he has 11 pts in 18 games, which makes him the 88th highest scorer in the A, behind several of his teammates.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I was wondering about this Grigs earned it thing. What and how did he earn NHL ice time in training camp? He looked better than he did earlier in his career, but not like he was great even in preseason games. What exactly did he do to say he definitively earned a spot in the NHL?

Remember he is in the AHL on a line with another top prospect and he has 11 pts in 18 games, which makes him the 88th highest scorer in the A, behind several of his teammates.

The premise of the whole thing was that Grigorenko outplayed Reinhart in training camp and the preseason, yet they kept Reinhart (to give him a longer look and because he couldn't be sent to the AHL) over Grigorenko, which means that they weren't serious about the whole "earn your roster spot" mantra.

This, of course, ignored Murray's repeated statements that Grigorenko may have to take "one step back to make two steps forward" and how he noted that Grigs needs top ice time and PP time--something anyone should realize can only happen in Rochester right now.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Damn, I forgot about Ellis. He could be the dark horse candidate for the call-up. He's never going to turn heads in the NHL, of course, but he arguably plays a similar game to McCormick.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
The premise of the whole thing was that Grigorenko outplayed Reinhart in training camp and the preseason, yet they kept Reinhart (to give him a longer look and because he couldn't be sent to the AHL) over Grigorenko, which means that they weren't serious about the whole "earn your roster spot" mantra.

This, of course, ignored Murray's repeated statements that Grigorenko may have to take "one step back to make two steps forward" and how he noted that Grigs needs top ice time and PP time--something anyone should realize can only happen in Rochester right now.

Ya I assumed that was his point. I just would say I wouldn't agree Grigorenko outplayed Reinhart much at all offensively, and defensively Reinhart was better, which was the role available with the big club. So if its who will score more points, it was close, if the competition was who would be a better bottom six forward Reinhart was more suited for that role.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I thought Grigs has been playing well in the A? ... Haven't seen a game in awhile ... things change?

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
I thought Grigs has been playing well in the A? ... Haven't seen a game in awhile ... things change?

He has been playing well. He went a little cold for a few games, but it wasn't for a lack of chances. People are judging off of box scores right now.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
He has been playing well. He went a little cold for a few games, but it wasn't for a lack of chances. People are judging off of box scores right now.

Not really, the points are just a side issue. Schaller has been superior across the board. Grigs has been good, just not so dominant that he deserves the first call up at the expense of letting him continue to get big minutes in Rochester.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Not really, the points are just a side issue. Schaller has been superior across the board. Grigs has been good, just not so dominant that he deserves the first call up at the expense of letting him continue to get big minutes in Rochester.

Right, because getting 12-15 minutes for a game or two in the NHL is going to hinder his development. :loony:

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville

yeah. Fine with any of the possible callups. Grigs would be the most exciting. Schaller or Larsson would fit the chemistry of that line a little bit more though. Grigs needs to get a look at some point though.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

Pot calling the kettle black.

No, we're going off watching games and listening to comments about him from the coaches. Everyone's on the same page except for Stokes, as usual.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad