Confirmed with Link: Sabres sign Kyle Okposo (7 years, $6M AAV)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'm liking this signing more and more as time passes. Okposo is just a quality player.

I pushed back a little at first but I think it's a smart acquisition.

I was more concerned with term as was rumored prior to the signing. He gives them a quality option to strengthen the top 6. Given how he played with Nielsen, it seems like a great spot to plug him in with O'Reilly and then not worry about ROR having to completely carry his line. That also should free them up to allow Eichel's line to have more o-zone starts with FLG as a heavier d-zone start unit. It would be nice to exploit some mismatches.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I wonder if putting him with O'Reilly would fundamentally change the function of ROR's line. By most accounts Okposo is not a + defensive player. If we're going with a setup last year, where ROR is getting hard defensive assignments and hefty D-zone percentages, than KO might not be the best fit. But if we're going to let that become a more regular line, and perhaps let the Larsson line take on a bigger checking role, I could be for it.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I wonder if putting him with O'Reilly would fundamentally change the function of ROR's line. By most accounts Okposo is not a + defensive player. If we're going with a setup last year, where ROR is getting hard defensive assignments and hefty D-zone percentages, than KO might not be the best fit. But if we're going to let that become a more regular line, and perhaps let the Larsson line take on a bigger checking role, I could be for it.

I think the decision on fourth line center may help answer this. If a guy like say a brodziak or Cullen fell into our laps as a late off season sign and could do the heavy lifting along with Larsson it'd change lot.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I think the decision on fourth line center may help answer this. If a guy like say a brodziak or Cullen fell into our laps as a late off season sign and could do the heavy lifting along with Larsson it'd change lot.

I think it's a safe bet at this point that Foligno-Larsson-Gionta will start the season as our "4th line"

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
I investigated a bit Okposo's wowy stats from past three years.

While it has been said that his points (on ES) are result of Tavares, I noticed that his production overall has been pretty much the same with Nielsen as it has been with Tavares.

Okposo seems to heavily drive his line's scoring up. His impact, on the other hand, defensively (goals against) is negative. But the difference defensively is not that great as it is offensively. So he helps clearly more offensively than he hurts defensively.

And his GF/60 number is higher with Matt Moulson than it is with Tavares...

If Moulson somehow could get himself even a bit to the shape he once was, would a line of

Moulson - ROR - Okposo

be any successful? I think this is the time to try to redeem Moulson. ROR would get a pretty hefty burden defensively, but that's why we're paying the man. Other lines like:

Vesey - Eichel - Girgs
Kane - Reinhart - Ennis
Foligno - Larsson - Gionta

Last edited:

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo

While it has been said that his points (on ES) are result of Tavares, I noticed that his production overall has been pretty much the same with Nielsen as it has been with Tavares.

Okposo seems to heavily drive his line's scoring up. His impact, on the other hand, defensively (goals against) is negative. But the difference defensively is not that great as it is offensively. So he helps clearly more offensively than he hurts defensively.

If Moulson somehow could get himself even a bit to the shape he once was, would a line of

Moulson - ROR - Okposo

be any successful? I think this is the time to try to redeem Moulson. ROR would get a pretty hefty burden defensively, but that's why we're paying the man. Other lines like:

Vesey - Eichel - Girgs
Kane - Reinhart - Ennis

All we can do is pray. Moulson is done. It'll take a miracle to bring him back to former Moulson. Let's pray that miracle is Okposo.

Last edited:

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
All we can do is pray. Moulson is done. It's take a miracle to bring him back to former Moulson. Let's pray that miracle is Okposo.

If Okposo gets $6 Million a year, but then is able to help get value back out of Moulson (and thus his contract), then doesn't his contract basically bring more even more value?

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY

Moulson - ROR - Okposo

Vesey - Eichel - Girgs
Kane - Reinhart - Ennis
So much depth that Kane, Ennis AND Reinhart are tearing up third line competition? I really like the sound of that... but man is making Moulson a first line talent a real long shot.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
All we can do is pray. Moulson is done. It'll take a miracle to bring him back to former Moulson. Let's pray that miracle is Okposo.

So much depth that Kane, Ennis AND Reinhart are tearing up third line competition? I really like the sound of that... but man is making Moulson a first line talent a real long shot.

Agreed... It's more wishful thinking than anything... But I hope that he maybe has analyzed what went wrong, got some motivation from Okposo and perhaps, just perhaps, he might redeem himself as a tolerable top-6 winger who could be somewhat decent while carried by ROR and Okposo.

Give him around 10 games try-out on the first line. If, and when, he is a toast, you just demote him to the pressbox and promote him only if top-6 players are injured to the extent of no proper call ups are possible from Roch.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
It was in the second half. I do have concerns about Gionta the last two years where it took him to Jan to really get going. I guess the good news is his role will be more and more limited.
Once it was realized that you shouldn't be counting on him for a top-6 game packed with offense and 50 goals, Gionta played pretty well in his role.

No reason to think that, if he begins the season where he ended last, it'll take him a while to "warm up"...

skipjack

May 1, 2016
Stockholm, SWE
Have to say he gave a good impression at the presser yesterday. Sounds decent and it really feels like he wants to be here. Nice to see!

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

LaxSabre - So you are paying about what a season ticket holder will be getting after their 20% off at the Sabres Store.

In case anyone was wondering...
‏@Archbushman - Do you change out the name on back? I still have a Stafford jersey.
@DACWBuffalo - Yes we can, it is $20.

http://www.daveandadamsstore.com/

Last edited:

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006

LaxSabre - So you are paying about what a season ticket holder will be getting after their 20% off at the Sabres Store.

‏@Archbushman - Do you change out the name on back? I still have a Stafford jersey.

I only buy retired Sabres jerseys. I don't know why people waste money on these jerseys.

Tsujimoto

Jan 23, 2006

I bought a Stafford jersey for $40 brand new on eBay. $20 for a nameplate change and I'll have an Okposo for $60. :)

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
He did a Player's Tribune article reflecting on his time as an Islander:

The next chapter in my life begins now. I’m not the same 19-year-old kid I was when I stepped into the arena at Harbor Yard in Bridgeport, and thankfully I don’t have the same haircut. I’ll be bringing my family to Buffalo and I’m so excited to put some roots down in the 716. I’m looking forward to getting involved in the community and having my kids grow up in Western New York.

The Sabres are a great organization and I couldn’t be happier. All I want to do is give the city a Stanley Cup. I’m excited for the journey and the challenge. I’ll see you all in October.

Let’s get it, Buffalo.

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/kyle-okposo-nhl-thank-you-long-island/

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
He did a Player's Tribune article reflecting on his time as an Islander:

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/kyle-okposo-nhl-thank-you-long-island/

Interesting that he is bringing his family and wants to raise his kids in WNY.

When we talk about how attractive Buffalo is as a destination for players, I think there are really two answers.

Definitely many young players would prefer to be in a big city with more entertainment/nightlife/cultural offerings, etc, and there's nothing wrong with that. Buffalo has those things, but can't compete with the scale of a NYC or Chicago or LA.

But I definitely get the sense that word-of-mouth among players and coaches is that WNY is a great place to raise a family. Definitely many former players and coaches who live in the area have said so publicly. So I think it's a very attractive destination for players (like Okposo) with young children who are starting their family.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Certainly cost-of-living and real estate are much much cheaper in WNY than on Long Island or Brooklyn.

Those kinds of considerations may matter more to a player who is starting a family than to a 19-year-old kid.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Interesting that he is bringing his family and wants to raise his kids in WNY.

When we talk about how attractive Buffalo is as a destination for players, I think there are really two answers.

Definitely many young players would prefer to be in a big city with more entertainment/nightlife/cultural offerings, etc, and there's nothing wrong with that. Buffalo has those things, but can't compete with the scale of a NYC or Chicago or LA.

But I definitely get the sense that word-of-mouth among players and coaches is that WNY is a great place to raise a family. Definitely many former players and coaches who live in the area have said so publicly. So I think it's a very attractive destination for players (like Okposo) with young children who are starting their family.

Yep, the family aspect of things is probably one of their best selling points. That and the relative cost of housing -- listen to Rivet's anecdote about telling the realtor to find them something about the same price as the place he and his wife sold in San Jose, it's a riot. Realized they could get twice the house at 1/4th the cost.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Certainly cost-of-living and real estate are much much cheaper in WNY than on Long Island or Brooklyn.

Those kinds of considerations may matter more to a player who is starting a family than to a 19-year-old kid.

Rivet's story about talking to a real estate agent in the 716 after his trade here from SJ is a classic.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009

My favorite Kyle memory. Game after Team USA foolishly doesn't pick Kyle for the team (Gotta love coming home without a medal you ********) he scores this beauty in OT. About 8k there with about 2k being Chi-town fans because of a bad blizzard, one that kept me from going to that game. Big regret, loved Kyle getting the support he deserved from the NY faithful, the few chanted proudly for Kyle.
Pros:

- We get another PP option on the wing
- he's a FANTASTIC lockerroom guy
- signing a guy atop the heap is a HUGE statement leaguewide
- extremely skilled, great hands
- ability to be strong in possession

CONS:

- doesn't play big like his size would indicate
- extremely inconsistent
- decision-making goes up and down, specifically on the breakout and in the neutral zone
- long term may be a total crap deal at the end
- he doesn't tilt the ice like a 7yr/$40+m player should

If it's indeed $6m frontloaded, I can live with that.

Very good description.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Anyone have a link to the Rivet story?

Small tidbit from a similar article:

It was funny listening to him talk about having reverse sticker shock, which I mentioned today in my column. He had a big home -- see, overpriced -- in suburban San Jose and didn't know housing was so cheap in WNY. Apparently, he told a real estate agent here that he was looking for a 5,000-square-foot house in the $2 million range. Rivet said he didn't know who was laughing more, the agent or him after hearing that he could buy three or four homes that size here for $2 million.

http://buffalonews.typepad.com/sabres/2008/07/rivet-ready-for.html

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad