Confirmed with Link: Sabres sign goalie Craig Anderson/ 1yr 750k

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Not sure I agree with that. Goaltending hasn't been good, but this team left them out to dry for long stretches.

When healthy, average tending has had them around .500. When they were buried by injuries, yes, they had a hard time scoring for a stretch even though they got good netminding out of Luukkonen.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Anderson talks about setting goals for the final part of the season and working on putting in the habits to win. That's what is important down the stretch here - be done with losing and work toward winning for next year.

Reactions: Jim Bob

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think Anderson will retire after this season.

The discussion is going to be a family one. If he plays, I can see it being in Florida as their vet backup if they want to have Knight spending a full year in the AHL. Or it could be in Buffalo, though after listening to that interview, the comment that his last few years have been unfair to his family makes me think it's either Florida or done.

That said, he's been a great addition and I wonder how they would've done if they had managed to have him for more of the year after he got hurt by Hertl.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
He was very non-committal, but it felt like it was difficult to be away from his family. I wish KA wasn't entertaining signing him next year, but here we are.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
The discussion is going to be a family one. If he plays, I can see it being in Florida as their vet backup if they want to have Knight spending a full year in the AHL. Or it could be in Buffalo, though after listening to that interview, the comment that his last few years have been unfair to his family makes me think it's either Florida or done.

That said, he's been a great addition and I wonder how they would've done if they had managed to have him for more of the year after he got hurt by Hertl.
I like Anderson, but I'd rather see another goalie in the off-season, and he definitely won't agree to be the third goaltender and play in Rochester.

Reactions: Jacob582

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
I don't envy Andy's decision he'll have to make in the offseason. He's a pro through and through though, and I'm confident he'll continue to mentor and demonstrate those habits that help make winners. I honestly don't see anyone on this team who 'mails it in' before the end of the season. They got a big taste of what hard work and compete can give a team, and I think it will help them even more in the future.

SwordsgoneWild

WhenyougazeintotheabysstheBuffaloSabresgazeback
Mar 6, 2011
Lake Worth,Fl
Meh, he’d be a decent backup if we wanted UPL to stay in Roch, anything that keeps Tokarski away from the lineup is a win though.
Didn't mean to like . No offense. But Dustin stole us many games this year. I would have no problem with him being the 3rd golie starting in the A while Adams brings in a goalie or two. And yes 6k should be brought up to split time with a capable starter or at least back up. Plus doesn't Dustin have Better advanced stats than Craig? This myth that he has sucked for us outside of his handful of games post head scrambled needs to die and die hard

SwordsgoneWild

WhenyougazeintotheabysstheBuffaloSabresgazeback
Mar 6, 2011
Lake Worth,Fl
Always enjoy retirement Andy . Byou be deserve it. I still remember you playing with the kitties back in back in the day. He was solid to great almost everywhere he went

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I will say from personal experience that it is easier to play drunk than with the wrong handed stick.

I once played drunk in Southy (South Boston) on St. Patrick's Day after day drinking. One of the guys on the other team was probably 4'5" but was an adult and fast as anything. Imagine being drunk and seeing a little guy fly by you and take the puck off your stick.

Didn't shower after and just went back out to the bars. Good times.

Reactions: Jim Bob

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
Didn't mean to like . No offense. But Dustin stole us many games this year. I would have no problem with him being the 3rd golie starting in the A while Adams brings in a goalie or two. And yes 6k should be brought up to split time with a capable starter or at least back up. Plus doesn't Dustin have Better advanced stats than Craig? This myth that he has sucked for us outside of his handful of games post head scrambled needs to die and die hard

Tokarski is fine as a backup. It's when he has to play 3-4 in a row where he really starts laying eggs

He'd be fine if he only played 15 to 20 games a year and be a true backup

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Not sure I get the confidence in bringing in a new tandem next year where both tenders are head and shoulders above Anderson. The guy has a .571 p% in his games this year. That's at least a serviceable backup. Meanwhile, you've got neither Portillo nor Levi joining the org this year, so there's no need to promote UPL just to make room on the farm. I think it's ambitious enough to try and get a starting goalie out of trade/UFA, but then a backup who's superior to Anderson as well?

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Not sure I get the confidence in bringing in a new tandem next year where both tenders are head and shoulders above Anderson. The guy has a .571 p% in his games this year. That's at least a serviceable backup. Meanwhile, you've got neither Portillo nor Levi joining the org this year, so there's no need to promote UPL just to make room on the farm. I think it's ambitious enough to try and get a starting goalie out of trade/UFA, but then a backup who's superior to Anderson as well?
Anderson himself may retire if he wants to spend more time with his family. Probably Adams could have looked at DeSmith or Koskinen for the part. But if it's DeSmith/Koskinen - UPL tandem, that could be a problem.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
He's also lost us many games this year. if Tokarski is a NHL backup, he's a bottom tier one.

P% isn't really a goalie stat. Anderson's numbers. raw and underlying, tell the same story.

He's no longer a serviceable NHL goalie. He's lateral movement is slow, he's injury prone, and he's below average in over half of his starts. There isn't a fountain of youth, he's going to be as bad or worse next year than he was this year.

They need a vet who can potentially play 50+ games next year if UPL isn't ready to take the starers role.

Reactions: oldgoalie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad