Player Discussion Sabres sign G Carter Hutton to a 3 Year Deal with $2.75M AAV

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Hutton's % quality start metrics are off the charts compared to the other options out there. He's going to put the team at ease back there.

I'm a big fan of the concept of quality of starts statistics. Unfortunately, it is highly suspect in predicting future success for goaltenders.

That being said, I'm a big fan of this signing. Hutton was my #1 target, but I never considered him as a possibility - I figured he was in a good situation in STL and they would keep him.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
To be clear, I'm not "against" the signing, though I reserve the right to amend that position when we see the terms. But I do have some concerns, which I would for any of this crop of goaltenders.

I am cautiously optimistic about this deal.

I do think he is likely to get more years and dollars than I would give him. But, if he can be a solid 1 or 1A with Ullmark, it won't matter.

If he is Darling 2.0....

:help:

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
With a lot of players coming off the books in the next year or two, I have no issue with the term or money being floated about.

If Hutton works out, awesome for us. If he sucks, he could probably be a buyout....at least I think he could, without too much damage done.

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya
Remember guys, nothing is certain until it's officially broken by Sabres PR...was only a few seasons ago when a backup goalie agreed to terms in principal and spurned us right after.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Remember guys, nothing is certain until it's officially broken by Sabres PR...was only a few seasons ago when a backup goalie agreed to terms in principal and spurned us right after.
In that case there were no media reports beforehand. I think the first anyone heard of it was from Murray.

Reactions: Paxon

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
There is one area where I think Hutton will definitely improve us on is the end of the Ryan Miller shutout. I think he is the best goalie we have had in awhile who will not let in an easy one when we are up 2,3-0. His SO/Rate is better then any goalie we have had since Hasek. Even better then Millers and while he never had a great defense he played on a few powerhouse teams.

I have zero qualms about a 3 year deal to a soon to be 33 year old goalie. Almost all goalies are able to maintain high level of play into their mid/late 30s. Ryan Miller is about to be 38 years old and he is definitely one of the best backups in the league and could easily be a 1B goalie and play half a season. Hasek was in his mid to late 30s when he had his best success with us. 3/12 is perfectly fine. It's up before Dahlin will get his 8/100 million dollar extension after his ELC.

Reactions: beerme1

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
ESPN link reporting it. This is a done deal. ESPN Brazil was actually the first source reporting the RoR extension too.

Reports: Sabres expected to land goalie Hutton

Hutton being good at shootouts will be fun when we continue to not be able to score. Maybe we will get to see Ullmark take a SO shot attempt if it goes on long enough.

I was referring to shutouts not Shoot outs, though he is much better at both then Lehner and Ocho. It seems Hutton saves 2/3 shoot out attempts. Better then Lehners 0-1/3.

In the last 3 seasons, Huttons 9 shut outs rank 19th. That is astounding considering he only played 79 games. The leader in shutouts the last 3 years has 15 shut outs. 3 goalies have that amount, Rask, Gibson and Dubnyk. All 3 of them have 180+ starts meaning that all 3 have played in over 100+ games then Hutton yet have only 6 more shut outs in that time frame. In fact, Huttons shutouts per game is far better then anyone ahead of him it isn't even funny. I don't care how great your defense is, in today's game, it is damn hard to shut the opposition out for a whole 60 minutes. Us Sabre fans should know, considering we have been in the bottom 5 in shutting out the opposition virtually every season since Miller left and we even had a season where we didn't shut out the opposing team once.

I am getting more and more excited for Hutton. When you factor in the leadership and locker room presence I am over the moon on this deal. At the very least we have one of the best 1B goalies in the league who is a great leader. At the very best we may have gotten the next Tim Thomas. It will fall somewhere in the middle but I expect more good then bad. 3/12 is great. In one week Botterill has added a generation franchise dman, a 2x cup winning top 6 LW and a very good 1B goalie all on the cheap. What a off season so far.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I don’t know how anyone could possibly care what he gets for the next three years. We will still have less money committed to the position than most and we aren’t going to be seeing that cap ceiling worry until he’s gone. Use those facts to get the best fit for what we are doing here.

Like imagine being “I wouldn’t have gone over 3.5” and having to live as that person.

Reactions: BananaSquad

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
He’s a solid option, probably the best option besides going after Grubauer, but I think that,

1. They really like Ullmark and want someone as a stopgap

2. From all reports he’s a solid locker room guy, especially with the younger netminders. That puts him and Ullmark in a perfect situation.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
2.75 for Hutton is better than expected, so the term of three years is reasonable. Nice to have goal tending marked off. Now lets go getting the forward depth. I want Duclair.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad