Player Discussion Sabres sign G Carter Hutton to a 3 Year Deal with $2.75M AAV

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
As long as he's not a choker like Lehner im completely confident my entertainment level is going to increase exponentially this season

Reactions: Fearnot

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Since 2013-2014

Carter Hutton,113 starts 11 shutouts

Buffalo Sabres - 410 starts, 9 shutouts

Yeah I know that includes all of the suffering era for the Sabres and that Hutton played on great defensive teams but that is just asinine a goalie can put up 2 more shutouts over the last 5 years in about a third of the amount of games. Hutton is a definite upgrade and I am all for adding him. Year 1 Hutton gets 45-50 starts while Ullmark is eased in and then year 2 and 3 when we are hopefully a playoff team Hutton reverts to 25-30 games a season.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Also worth pointing out that Carter Hutton has saved 47/47 shots in the shootout thus far in his NHL career
Please source that. I found this, which indicates he's league average s% in the SO, but seems to be dated to his days in Nashville. In any event, not a 1.00 s% for sure.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
The Sabres are following the same path as the Bills. They're dumping players who put themselves before the team. They're not going to keep players who think the team revolves around them. Removing the player takes precedence over getting full value.

The weird thing though is that they are doing it a year later for no apparent reason. Had this happened before last season they may have suckered some poor souls into giving up something in return like the Bills did. Instead of leaving the trash to spoil and start stinking. All things considered it turned out well since the return was Dahlin but still. Unless the lottery really is rigged that wasnt the plan.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
The Sabres are following the same path as the Bills. They're dumping players who put themselves before the team. They're not going to keep players who think the team revolves around them. Removing the player takes precedence over getting full value.

Agreed 100%. They hired two guys (Botterill & McDermott) with the same vision.

Reactions: BananaSquad

Meichel Kane

My Name Is
Jun 6, 2006
Since 2013-2014

Carter Hutton,113 starts 11 shutouts

Buffalo Sabres - 410 starts, 9 shutouts

Yeah I know that includes all of the suffering era for the Sabres and that Hutton played on great defensive teams but that is just asinine a goalie can put up 2 more shutouts over the last 5 years in about a third of the amount of games. Hutton is a definite upgrade and I am all for adding him. Year 1 Hutton gets 45-50 starts while Ullmark is eased in and then year 2 and 3 when we are hopefully a playoff team Hutton reverts to 25-30 games a season.

Hutton's % quality start metrics are off the charts compared to the other options out there. He's going to put the team at ease back there.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Agreed 100%. They hired two guys (Botterill & McDermott) with the same vision.

Let's not pretend culture changes everything though. I'm thrilled with the Bills season last year, but if we're being realistic they made the playoffs in spite of themselves. As a roster they are really lack an identity. Again, glad they had success and but I'm not sold on "the process", which is yet to even be defined.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Let's not pretend culture changes everything though. I'm thrilled with the Bills season last year, but if we're being realistic they made the playoffs in spite of themselves. As a roster they are really lack an identity. Again, glad they had success and but I'm not sold on "the process", which is yet to even be defined.

True but with this group it seems like a good start towards moving forward.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I agree. I think its definitely a good thing. What bug's me, particularly with the bills, is sometimes I get the impression that they think culture will solve everything. So far I don't get that impression with the Sabres, thankfully, and I hope that they don't completely go the Bills' route that way.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
The weird thing though is that they are doing it a year later for no apparent reason. Had this happened before last season they may have suckered some poor souls into giving up something in return like the Bills did. Instead of leaving the trash to spoil and start stinking. All things considered it turned out well since the return was Dahlin but still. Unless the lottery really is rigged that wasnt the plan.
McDermott arrived on the scene like it was a heist he'd been planning for years. He knew who had to go before you could use scenario and situation in the same sentence.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Hutton's % quality start metrics are off the charts compared to the other options out there. He's going to put the team at ease back there.

Not really before last season. In 2015-16, his QS% in Nashville, behind a superior defense, was similar to Lehner's. In 2016-17, when Hutton was also in Nashville, it was worse than Lehner's. Last year, in St. Louis, Hutton had a great season and Lehner had a subpar year.

But after seeing Elliott look like a stud in St. Louis, only to flop elsewhere, I have some concerns how Hutton will perform outside of St. Louis.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Not really before last season. In 2015-16, his QS% in Nashville, behind a superior defense, was similar to Lehner's. In 2016-17, when Hutton was also in Nashville, it was worse than Lehner's. Last year, in St. Louis, Hutton had a great season and Lehner had a subpar year.

But after seeing Elliott look like a stud in St. Louis, only to flop elsewhere, I have some concerns how Hutton will perform outside of St. Louis.

Valid concerns certainly.

I’ll join you after I see him play a month or so worth of games as a Sabre if he looks sketchy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad