Confirmed with Link: Sabres sign Dman IIya Lyubushkin (2 years, $2.75 AAV)

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
The problem is that both of them are likely best suited for the bottom pair...
When you have three players best suited for the top pair, that's something we're going to have to get used to since it's pretty much always going to be that way due to the cap. I don't really see it as a problem.

That said, I think Adams sees Joki as still developing so he'll get more opportunity to play an elevated role.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
When you have three players best suited for the top pair, that's something we're going to have to get used to since it's pretty much always going to be that way due to the cap. I don't really see it as a problem.

That said, I think Adams sees Joki as still developing so he'll get more opportunity to play an elevated role.
I'd argue that only Dahlin & eventually Power are true 'top pairing' players. Power likely won't be playing to that standard this season either.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
To travel or to live? She's traveled alone to many countries yet never sought Russian presence or searched for a Russian community. Just as I have traveled alone without knowledge of any foreign language.

I am just looking for philosophical consistency. The idea that there needs to be a veteran presence of someone of the same culture and language speaks to 1990s era philosophy where it may have been true. Wouldn't the same be true for other countries, too?

Again, the idea seems silly

I was unsure beforehand, but everything I am reading makes it seem like he is a truly great fit. GMKA stated Ilya's ability to be paired to any type of defenseman. I like that he can be effective regardless of the playstyle of his other defenseman. Plus, the physicality is something we need.

Dude, how many people have to tell you people here made the same comments for the Swedish dahlin and the Finnish Ristolainen?

You are arguing about something blatantly not true

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I'd argue that only Dahlin & eventually Power are true 'top pairing' players. Power likely won't be playing to that standard this season either.
You could also argue that they don't have any top pairing D siince there's really no standard definition for it. But you know what I meant -- having two guys that will likely take up $20M in cap space limits what you can do with the rest of the D pairs, and will result is Buffalo having to get used to rotating-in guys on cheap, short term contracts.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY

I agree. I think Jokiharju is on an upward development curve and Lyubushkin is what he always will be. I expect Power-Jokiharju to be the regular pairing.

Reactions: joshjull

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
You could also argue that they don't have any top pairing D siince there's really no standard definition for it. But you know what I meant -- having two guys that will likely take up $20M in cap space limits what you can do with the rest of the D pairs, and will result is Buffalo having to get used to rotating-in guys on cheap, short term contracts.
Dahlin is likely a 10m/per player in the near future (thanks for bridging him Kevyn).

Power has a long way to go before you can say the same.

I disagree that everyone else needs to be cheap. I would have thought that investing in suitable partners for your best players would be a priority.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Assuming Dahlin is playing on the RHS full time - that will be fun.

But long term i think the strategy should be to build two super pairs around these guys. Bottom pair should only have to play 10mins/game...
The problem is that both of them are likely best suited for the bottom pair...

Jokiharju just turned 23. There are many Norris trophy winning defenseman that didn't even crack into the league until they were his current age.

As Adams and Granato have already stated, this year is a development year. Keep developing Jokiharju and see what you have. D don't really peak at 22. If he keeps on his current trajectory, he could easily be a strong top 4 soon.

As far as playing your bottom pairing only 10 minutes, that probably only works if you have a lot of PP time and have forwards running the point. It takes a special kind of athlete to play 25 minutes a night over an 82 game season and not be worn down and get injured. Having four of them is unheard of.

Getting14-15 minutes out of your third pairing along with some penalty killing to keep your top four fresh is the goal for a strong, well balanced D core, imo.

BuffaloSabresSword

May 11, 2011
Dahlin is likely a 10m/per player in the near future (thanks for bridging him Kevyn).

Power has a long way to go before you can say the same.

I disagree that everyone else needs to be cheap. I would have thought that investing in suitable partners for your best players would be a priority.
No not 10 mil 7 mil or 7.5 then 8 Will be upper limit

Cant overpay them he isnt makar

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Ilya Lyubushkin, D, Buffalo
Contract: Two years, $2.75 million AAV

This is exactly the player the Buffalo Sabres needed at this point of their rebuild, even if he’s a bit more expensive than you’d like. He hits like a truck and seems to delight in doing so, which gives the Sabres another big player who’s going to make them not a ton of fun to play against over the next few years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad