Confirmed with Link: Sabres sign Dman IIya Lyubushkin (2 years, $2.75 AAV)

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I want to see more from him. It's true, I like my Sabres players who are available to the team.

Listen to Craig Rivet who played through a lot of pain in his NHL career. He now regrets a lot of it, but wouldn't go back and change a thing. He has also talked about a Montreal teammate who would pull himself out of the lineup if he was dinged up a little bit and wasn't 100%. Listen to players who say most of them are dealing with something every season. So I guess I was questioning Lyubushkin's definition of "healthy".

Should fans expect players to play through some pain? And I think I probably know the answer: every player is different and fans don't have the right to question it.
Rivet sucked when he tried to play through those injuries. If a player can’t bring what is needed due to injury, why play them unless you have to? Seems like a pointless exercise for all involved.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
splitting hairs, but CBJ claimed him off of waivers. He just sort of....faded away. It was weird.
Then wound up playing in Elmira in order to preserve his green card status (or qualify for citzenship - I forget). His stories about riding the bus in the Coast league are pretty hilarious.

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
I want to see more from him. It's true, I like my Sabres players who are available to the team.

Listen to Craig Rivet who played through a lot of pain in his NHL career. He now regrets a lot of it, but wouldn't go back and change a thing. He has also talked about a Montreal teammate who would pull himself out of the lineup if he was dinged up a little bit and wasn't 100%. Listen to players who say most of them are dealing with something every season. So I guess I was questioning Lyubushkin's definition of "healthy".

Should fans expect players to play through some pain? And I think I probably know the answer: every player is different and fans don't have the right to question it.

Do I expect a player to play through pain? No. Do I believe each and every single athlete does? Yes.
As someone else mentioned, I'm curious how or med staff is doing with stuff like this now that they were addressed in the off season. The sucker punch reaction thing was demeaning to any warriors heart.
I'm glad Boosh is on our team. I can tell you that.

Reactions: Jacob582 and Fjordy

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
So Rivet is tacitly implying that Lyubushkin is soft without knowing any information. Sounds like him.
That is why his statement stuck with me. Implying that Lyubushkin was soft was something that I didn't consider when I saw that Taylor Hall sucker punch. I was outraged and figured Hall tagged him on the chin and he couldn't return.

I do take Rivet's opinion in account as he is a former player with a lot of experience in the league. I also realize he is a "story teller".

Edit: to be fair to Rivet, he said this last season, and he hasn't said anything else about Lyubushkin's current injuries.

Last edited:

DustyZ

Dec 2, 2022
So Rivet is tacitly implying that Lyubushkin is soft without knowing any information. Sounds like him.
Soft in the head maybe.

I've seen enough stupid lazy penalties by this guy to prefer Fitzgerald at this point.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Lyubushkin shouldn't be considered more than a 7D. He is fun to watch but absolutely takes dumb penalties and is an injury waiting ti happen.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Lyubushkin shouldn't be considered more than a 7D. He is fun to watch but absolutely takes dumb penalties and is an injury waiting ti happen.

KA on Sabres Pr piece, "We got both our first choices". Same mold as Risto and Hagg. Not sure why we needed to try that again. But I hope he stays healthy and can play a competent third pair role.

• Wow
Reactions: DustyZ

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
Honestly I think Lyubushkin is fine on the 3rd pairing, 14 of his 18 penalty minutes came in his first 4 games and the blowout against the Habs. He's a low event player who has played well on the 3rd pairing, but has struggled when his minutes are increased. Get him a partner better than Bryson and keep him to that 14 - 16 minute range and he's fine. He played primarily with Reilly in Toronto last season, and Chychrun in Arizona, Bryson and Pilut are a considerable step down from that.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Hard to say, really. The injury has clearly hampered his play. He was looking the part of a good bottom pairing guy pre-injury. Hopefully he can make a full recovery, so we can get an idea of his role on this team.

Reactions: Chainshot

DustyZ

Dec 2, 2022
Honestly I think Lyubushkin is fine on the 3rd pairing, 14 of his 18 penalty minutes came in his first 4 games and the blowout against the Habs. He's a low event player who has played well on the 3rd pairing, but has struggled when his minutes are increased. Get him a partner better than Bryson and keep him to that 14 - 16 minute range and he's fine. He played primarily with Reilly in Toronto last season, and Chychrun in Arizona, Bryson and Pilut are a considerable step down from that.
Maybe we could reunite him with Chychrun again

DustyZ

Dec 2, 2022
Not sure about the injury thing, but sure wish he could cut down on the unnecessary penalities.

Players in general need accountability in this regard.

Krebs has almost the same amount of penalty minutes as Thompson with how much less ice time?

Being smart should be very high on the priority list of players, and coaches need to make players accountable.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
Not sure about the injury thing, but sure wish he could cut down on the unnecessary penalities.

Players in general need accountability in this regard.

Krebs has almost the same amount of penalty minutes as Thompson with how much less ice time?

Being smart should be very high on the priority list of players, and coaches need to make players accountable.
Sabres are 4-3 in games Lyubushkin takes a penalty. They are 1-8-1 in games he doesn't. Weird statistic there.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
Seemed like a decent signing. A little surprised it's not working out.
There with you. For him to be affective he has to play physical, and so far, that has resulted in him being injured and not playing at all. Hopefully its bad luck and he comes back and stays in the lineup. So far, not so good.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
There with you. For him to be affective he has to play physical, and so far, that has resulted in him being injured and not playing at all. Hopefully its bad luck and he comes back and stays in the lineup. So far, not so good.

Eh, it was blocking a shot and then doing so in the same location that put him on the shelf. His first few games at full health, he was fine. Once he couldn't practice, things eroded. It was pretty clear that whatever he did to his foot was a mobility restricting injury.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Seemed like a decent signing. A little surprised it's not working out.

Let's let him get healthy before deeming this a success or not. I think he's been truly healthy for all of like 3 games maybe. He got hurt, came back too soon to help the team then re-hurt himself.

I think he's exactly what this defense needs -- a little nasty and a guy who thinks defense first. He and Sammy should make for an excellent top PK pair............once Boosh gets truly healthy.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Let's let him get healthy before deeming this a success or not. I think he's been truly healthy for all of like 3 games maybe. He got hurt, came back too soon to help the team then re-hurt himself.

I think he's exactly what this defense needs -- a little nasty and a guy who thinks defense first. He and Sammy should make for an excellent top PK pair............once Boosh gets truly healthy.

Given it’s the Sabres, I’m genuinely surprised his LBI doesn’t actually mean “needs amputation”

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad