Speculation: Sabres Roster Speculation - Pre-season 2023 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Unless Benson returns, I think those top four lines are it to start the season. I like it a lot. Olofsson is the only one I'd like to move but he's in the lineup for a while.

53 Jeff Skinner – 72 Tage Thompson – 9 Zach Benson

12 Jordan Greenway – 37 Casey Mittelstadt – 89 Alex Tuch

77 JJ Peterka – 24 Dylan Cozens – PATRICK KANE

28 Zemgus Girgensons – 19 Peyton Krebs – 21 Kyle Okposo

Biro has to clear waivers so I'm not sure if they don't keep both him and Jost around and go with 7 D.
PaTrIcK KaNe

fixed it for ya. See ya VO.

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
I think the issue with UPL and this team is that he is a big, slow, positional type goalie. Like a Bishop or Vasilevskiy. He needs good structure in front of him, and the idea is he’ll be in the right spot to absorb pucks with his big frame. I remember when he was playing well for a stretch last year Granato saying something about the team playing a certain way in front of him so that he’ll know where the shot is coming from.

That isn’t what the Sabres are today, and I’m not sure that is what the Sabres are going to be in the near to mid future either. Levi is more of an athletic goalie like Miller that can bail you out when things break down. Probably a better fit for our team structure/discipline at the moment.

I could see UPL leaving the Sabres and looking serviceable with a more disciplined team.

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
Oh we doing division predictions?

1. Toronto. Pretty obvious choice giving Tampa's goalie injury and the Bruins losing their top 2 center
2. Boston: While I think they are going to regress a ton....elite goaltending, elite defense, and a strong forward depth. I think they will go out and get a center at some point. This is probably still a 100 point team.
3. Tampa: The Vasi injury hurts. But, you can't deny the talent level. A longer summer likely will get them back refreshed. I think 3 straight finals appearances emptied the gas tank a bit last year.
4. Florida. It's probably a struggle early on and then a good run once their d is healthy. I think Knight getting the help he needs will help them out as the season wears on as well.
5. Ottawa. I think the new owner injects some excitement. Less injuries, better goaltending, some young guys taking the next step, similar to Buffalo last year.
6. Detroit. They added a good bit of talent this summer. I don't love the additions on D, but used in the proper role they should be OK. Their forward group is 4 lines deep, their D is unimpressive but solid. If they can get decent goaltending between Lyon/Husso/Ned, I think the overall depth can help them take that next step.
7. Sabres. I think we start out pretty well, actually. Levi will start hot. However, I think once teams get some film on Levi at the NHL level, things are going to go down hill. Like last year, this will be up and down and up and down. I think we will see more downs than ups this year. Right around the .500 mark, +/- 2-3 games. The systemic issues that were unaddressed will continue to be exploited and the feel good vibes will be eroded as the losses pile up. This team has thrived under zero expectations. I think the pressure of having actual expectations will be a bit of a learning curve for all involved.
8. The Habs. I mean...yeah. Not good. Another lotto year for Montreal.
Damn Doak,

That’s really pessimistic, even for you. Sabres finish 7th, just message me your address and I’ll send you a crisp, blue $100 bill.

This team should only be graded since the Eichel fiasco was over. Since that time, this team has been a steady progression of learning, adding depth, getting better, better coaching, better attitude, completely better ju-ju, etc. plus, I can’t believe I have to pint this out, Dahlin is 23….we’ve heap so many expectations on this guy, wait this kid….he’s 23!!!! And he’s kind of one of the veterans of this team!!!

No way this isn’t a 90 point team. I’ll give you they could miss but 90% this is a minimum 90 point team.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Watching Olofsson play in Quinn’s spot is a brutal and expensive method of getting me on board with an aging, coming off injury, complete defensive liability in Pat Kane joining the team.

But I bet I’m in by week 3

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Damn Doak,

That’s really pessimistic, even for you. Sabres finish 7th, just message me your address and I’ll send you a crisp, blue $100 bill.

This team should only be graded since the Eichel fiasco was over. Since that time, this team has been a steady progression of learning, adding depth, getting better, better coaching, better attitude, completely better ju-ju, etc. plus, I can’t believe I have to pint this out, Dahlin is 23….we’ve heap so many expectations on this guy, wait this kid….he’s 23!!!! And he’s kind of one of the veterans of this team!!!

No way this isn’t a 90 point team. I’ll give you they could miss but 90% this is a minimum 90 point team.

I don't think you can assume linear progression of youngsters, which the team has. I also don't think the gap between 5th in the division and 7th in the division will be that large. The teams around us have gotten healthy/improved as we've been pretty static.

This summer, we needed to:

Resolve the goaltending, we didn't.

Add a legit top 4 d-man...I don't think we did. I could be wrong on that, but early returns on Clifton aren't great.

Add a two way center who could help the PK and improve defensive zone play...we didn't.

Modify the coaching staff to affect better defensive play and help the PK...we didn't.

So the team doesn't address any needs in the summer is 100% relying on internal improvement. Where is the real upside here? For us to improve, several players have to REPEAT their career years AND several other players have to get better AND we have to have barely any injuries like we did for most of the season last year AND we have to get better goaltending.

One or two of those could happen......are all 4 going to happen? Probably not.

I think the most likely outcome this season is the scoring drops a little and we don't have the goaltending/defense/defensive system to over come it.

Reactions: Fjordy

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
^^^
You're hitting on my rather pessimistic view/fears of the team moving into the year. I'd feel a bit better with Quinn healthy, Olofsson replaced by a better winger, Greenway on the 4th line, Ryan Johnson over Jokiharju in Top 6 and at least someone competent/reliable to play alongside Levi. It also remains to be seen if the bargain-bin adds on defense will make a difference. I think it'll certainly improve the depth, but not sure either guy is someone a good team has in their top 4. Adams left far too many questions on the roster and let other teams in their neighborhood improve.

I also worry that the expectations are going to take their toll on some of these guys. We're gonna see who the real gamers are on this squad. Who's stepping up and who's crumbling and not performing?

I would have loved a New Jersey like offseason from a few seasons ago. Adding a Palat and/or Toffoli type veteran winger who is good at ES and has won in the playoffs. They desperately need to build a better third line and just don't have the horses right now.

Reactions: Fjordy

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I’m afraid the less optimistic on this board and the more optimistic on this board make good points. I’d feel a LOT better if I saw life out of anyone on this roster this preseason other than Benson. Take the preseason pledge, I know, but of what I watched, which hasn’t been much, Dahlin and Tage have looked like the worst versions of themselves. Vibes aren’t going to carry this team, those two are. And if they aren’t clicking, this team is going nowhere fast.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

23. On Kane’s future, remember that his first road roommate in 2007-08 was Kevyn Adams — who also made to sure to invite him for dinner when the team was at home. They’ve maintained a good relationship. Another team that made its interest known last summer was Florida. Let’s see how everyone starts, because that will be a factor in Kane’s decision.

24. Got a bit of a laugh seeing the Buffalo Sabres on the sidelines last weekend as the Bills hammered the Miami Dolphins. There were some social media photos of Maple Leaf players getting this excellent experience a few weeks ago and the Sabres were none too pleased.

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
Benson has generally drawn better linemates than Rousek has this pre-season. I wonder how they account for that when analyzing their play.
Yeah I wish Kulich had an opportunity on the top line like Benson did as well. But we know Kulich can score, another half season in the AHL should help him round out the rest of his game.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
I’m afraid the less optimistic on this board and the more optimistic on this board make good points. I’d feel a LOT better if I saw life out of anyone on this roster this preseason other than Benson. Take the preseason pledge, I know, but of what I watched, which hasn’t been much, Dahlin and Tage have looked like the worst versions of themselves. Vibes aren’t going to carry this team, those two are. And if they aren’t clicking, this team is going nowhere fast.
They’re trying not to get hurt man. I think Dahlin and Tage are the last people you need to worry about.

I don't think you can assume linear progression of youngsters, which the team has. I also don't think the gap between 5th in the division and 7th in the division will be that large. The teams around us have gotten healthy/improved as we've been pretty static.

Add a legit top 4 d-man...I don't think we did. I could be wrong on that, but early returns on Clifton aren't great.

Add a two way center who could help the PK and improve defensive zone play...we didn't.

Modify the coaching staff to affect better defensive play and help the PK...we didn't.

So the team doesn't address any needs in the summer is 100% relying on internal improvement. Where is the real upside here? For us to improve, several players have to REPEAT their career years AND several other players have to get better AND we have to have barely any injuries like we did for most of the season last year AND we have to get better goaltending.

I think the most likely outcome this season is the scoring drops a little and we don't have the goaltending/defense/defensive system to over come it.
Im usually optimistic but this was my thought process when selecting my standings as well. You can only win the bet so many times when betting on internal development before you realize outside help is needed. I think this is the season for us.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I'm getting worn out by the "career years" mantra. Several of these guys either showed they can have seasons like that, or that they had the ability and potential for it. All the while suffering under incompetent coaching. The coaching changed up, and a few guys either got back to the production level they're capable of, or reached a new level that was fairly well expected of them. This all happened while the NHL was skewing back toward an offensive style. So several factors combined for the "career years" from several players. But there's no reason to think any of those factors will reverse themselves. Obviously players' pt production goes up and down from season to season, but we have no reason to think 53, 72, 89 have a 50-ish pt season, or Mitts goes back to a 40 pt year. The team needs to play on the defensive side of the puck more, but that shouldn't result in a mass regression of pt totals.

I agree that goalie is a crap shoot, Clifton is not a great top-4 addition, and that D-zone awareness may still be an achilles heel, but there's logic behind those concerns. There is no logic to think our best players regress from "career years" back to some mediocre existence...other than blind negativity.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I'm getting worn out by the "career years" mantra. Several of these guys either showed they can have seasons like that, or that they had the ability and potential for it. All the while suffering under incompetent coaching. The coaching changed up, and a few guys either got back to the production level they're capable of, or reached a new level that was fairly well expected of them. This all happened while the NHL was skewing back toward an offensive style. So several factors combined for the "career years" from several players. But there's no reason to think any of those factors will reverse themselves. Obviously players' pt production goes up and down from season to season, but we have no reason to think 53, 72, 89 have a 50-ish pt season, or Mitts goes back to a 40 pt year. The team needs to play on the defensive side of the puck more, but that shouldn't result in a mass regression of pt totals.

I agree that goalie is a crap shoot, Clifton is not a great top-4 addition, and that D-zone awareness may still be an achilles heel, but there's logic behind those concerns. There is no logic to think our best players regress from "career years" back to some mediocre existence...other than blind negativity.
The career year thing is interesting to me. The challenge is always about how much more room for growth does a player have.

Tuch had a career high PPG of .76 after coming back from injury in 21-22. And then he jumped to 1.07 PPG last season. I doubt you see him make another sizable jump in production. But, barring him being impacted by moving away from Skinner and Thompson, I doubt you see him regress to pre-Buffalo levels of production, either.

And then you have all the young guys that could be reasonably expected to improve, like Power and JJP specifically. And Quinn would have been expected to improve if he didn't get hurt.

Defending better and the questions in goal are the much more legit concerns for me.

:dunno:

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
The career year thing is interesting to me. The challenge is always about how much more room for growth does a player have.

Tuch had a career high PPG of .76 after coming back from injury in 21-22. And then he jumped to 1.07 PPG last season. I doubt you see him make another sizable jump in production. But, barring him being impacted by moving away from Skinner and Thompson, I doubt you see him regress to pre-Buffalo levels of production, either.

And then you have all the young guys that could be reasonably expected to improve, like Power and JJP specifically. And Quinn would have been expected to improve if he didn't get hurt.

Defending better and the questions in goal are the much more legit concerns for me.

:dunno:
I expect Skinner, Thompson, and Tuch...even playing away from each other, to still be in the range of 70-90 pts barring long-term injury. Cozens, Mitts, JJP are all going to either be improving themselves, or benefitting from playing with an improved/better player. Dahlin is still improving, obviously Power too. To finish 7th would require a monumental face plant by multiple parts of the roster. It's just...head shaking.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

What the f*** I’d Levi?

we have this de eloping ELC player called Owen Power

like who?

so thr roster from last year has minimal changes. Yet we are going to end worse.
^^^
You're hitting on my rather pessimistic view/fears of the team moving into the year. I'd feel a bit better with Quinn healthy, Olofsson replaced by a better winger, Greenway on the 4th line, Ryan Johnson over Jokiharju in Top 6 and at least someone competent/reliable to play alongside Levi. It also remains to be seen if the bargain-bin adds on defense will make a difference. I think it'll certainly improve the depth, but not sure either guy is someone a good team has in their top 4. Adams left far too many questions on the roster and let other teams in their neighborhood improve.

I also worry that the expectations are going to take their toll on some of these guys. We're gonna see who the real gamers are on this squad. Who's stepping up and who's crumbling and not performing?

what was last year? hoe many players are returning from last year?
I would have loved a New Jersey like offseason from a few seasons ago. Adding a Palat and/or Toffoli type veteran winger who is good at ES and has won in the playoffs. They desperately need to build a better third line and just don't have the horses right now.
Oversign players thst really have little impact in the playoffs?

Reactions: Hasekperreault23

MeenOlViks

May 25, 2015

If we're expecting linear progression we should make the ECF.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015

It isn’t blind negativity. It’s simple understanding of math, history, and regression. Bet on what you want. The people who make money on betting know a sucker bet when they see one. And betting on players repeating their best performances is a sucker bet.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
It isn’t blind negativity. It’s simple understanding of math, history, and regression. Bet on what you want. The people who make money on betting know a sucker bet when they see one. And betting on players repeating their best performances is a sucker bet.
Was it a sucker bet last year with guys like Tuch and Thompson coming off of career years in 21-22?

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Got it...everyone is going to produce less, and you're going to make a lot of money in Vegas betting that way.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I mean if some guys maxed out like Skinner or Tuch that's fine. I personally don't think Tuch is maxed out but even if some of those vets are, we'll see progression from younger guys like JJ maybe Krebs...
And there's not much reason, if some guys maxed, for them to regress in any significant way.

I don't think anyone in that locker room is taking this season lightly. There's absolutely nothing to gain by going 100 in preseason unless you're trying to earn a spot.

On account these two posters have been very very very wrong on their season predictions for years now…I’d say we can expect good things this year!
Some people around here are going to be so mad when we make the playoffs...or broke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad