darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
17-19-4 with the team looking better each game

We'll finish somewhere around 9th-11th in the conference

Reactions: BHD

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
I tend towards optimism in August/September, but it's very possible that our roster is not a .500 NHL roster, if things don't go as hoped with the kids and some of the new additions.

Of course, Phil will get 100% of the blame from fans, even if he deserves less. (He hasn't shown a lot to be optimistic about, but the roster was far worse than the coaching last year and it's possible, not saying likely, but possible this happens again.) It would be too painful to admit that some of the new guys/wunderkinds don't fit/aren't as ready as hoped.

With those reservations out of the way, they'll be pacing for 85 points the first half of the year, and crank it up down the stretch to be playing meaningful hockey games in late march and early April.

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
5 points above .500 and on their way to a 90-94 point finish. I really believe this is finally a bubble team

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The two aren't mutually exclusive. I don't think "pessimism" is quit the right word here though. Maybe conservatism suits it better.

I think that expecting improvement and pessimism are mutually exclusive.

If people expect them to be DFL again and maybe even worse than last year, that would be pessimistic.

While the talent might be better year over year, the big wild card is the coach who left a lot to be desired last season and is back.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
IF this team isn't somewhere around .500 this season it means some if not all of these things at worst:

1) Dahlin and Mittelstadt were underwhelming as rookies
2) Eichel and Reinhart didn't make progress over what we've already seen from them
3) Housley failed which then begs the question again about the culture and character of our players, fingers pointed at Eichel and Reinhart
4) Ullmark and Hutton were bad/mediocre

The hockey world would be shocked if Dahlin struggled, I think it's almost impossible considering his talent and experience in the SHL. I don't have much doubt that Mittelstadt will be productive offensively. Not as sure about Eichel and Reinhart, I've posted before it's time for both the 2nd overall picks to step up and lead, the team goes as they go.

I predict ~85 points. The only shot we have of chasing a playoff spot is getting off to a fast start the way the Devils and Golden Knights did. Possible but not counting on it.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
IF this team isn't somewhere around .500 this season it means some if not all of these things at worst:

2) Eichel and Reinhart didn't make progress over what we've already seen from them
3) Housley failed which then begs the question again about the culture and character of our players, fingers pointed at Eichel and Reinhart

The hockey world would be shocked if Dahlin struggled, I think it's almost impossible considering his talent and experience in the SHL. I don't have much doubt that Mittelstadt will be productive offensively. Not as sure about Eichel and Reinhart, I've posted before it's time for both the 2nd overall picks to step up and lead, the team goes as they go.

I predict ~85 points. The only shot we have of chasing a playoff spot is getting off to a fast start the way the Devils and Golden Knights did. Possible but not counting on it.

If Housley fails, maybe it is on Housley and by extension Botterill, for making a poor first coaching hire.

Personally, I expect that this team is better over the second half because there are a lot of new players that will be learning on the fly.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013

I'm not expecting Dahlin to struggle, but I think he could perform below expectations for the people that expect him to come in and be Karlsson, Doughty, Hedman his rookie year. Same with Mittelstadt. I'm hoping the flashes he shows at the end of last year continue full time. 40-50 points will put you top 5-top 10 in rookie scoring most years. I hope people aren't expecting that he's just going to drop Barzal points, although its not impossible.

I think the goalie situation will definitely be a factor. With average goaltending last year we would have been much closer to .500.

As for Eichel and Reinhart, they should progress but I don't think that should be the difference between us being or not being .500. If eichel puts up a pt/gm and Sam is between 50-60 points I dont think they're to blame. I think the bigger question will be if the depth we have this year is truly an better than last year's.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Based on the roster as it stands today and assuming not too many injuries:

There are a lot of heavy, possession, two-way teams we play in the first half. I don't like our chances.

11-24-5

Edit:
Assuming no serious injuries after the new year I can see them:

I have them going 16-19-7 after the new year.

So through the year a 66 point campaign.

If that’s the case they need to blow it up and start over. With the exception of Dahlin, everyone goes to include Eichel, Reinhart, Risto....everyone. Gm, coach as well.

Thankfully, I don’t see it going the way you do.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
If that’s the case they need to blow it up and start over. With the exception of Dahlin, everyone goes to include Eichel, Reinhart, Risto....everyone. Gm, coach as well.

I believe that would be a huge overreaction.

Botterill shouldn't be fired just because his first coaching hire was a bad one. I believe that the Pegula's have been too impatient since they bought the team. If they fire Botterill after two seasons as GM, that would just continue that trend.

Just like I didn't believe that Murray wasn't given enough time, I believe that Botterill should be given at least 4 to 5 seasons to see whether his vision for the team will work or not.

I have no issue if they fire Housley if the team is a tire fire again and he doesn't seem to have learned anything from his putrid rookie season.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
As for Eichel and Reinhart, they should progress but I don't think that should be the difference between us being or not being .500. If eichel puts up a pt/gm and Sam is between 50-60 points I dont think they're to blame. I think the bigger question will be if the depth we have this year is truly an better than last year's.

More should be expected out of both of them - Eichel's already been a PPG player, time for him to put up 90 if he's healthy. Reinhart should be expected to score 60 points minimum. 2nd picks overall, one of them described as 'generational' talent.

We tanked deliberately, incurred the wrath and derision for doing it, for those 2 guys.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

Not really. This impatient thinking is the EXACT reason why we are where we are today.

Reactions: Jim Bob

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Not really. This impatient thinking is the EXACT reason why we are where we are today.

I disagree. You have two guys in Reinhart and Eichel, Risto...and the depth they brought in. If your core players having 4-5 years experience can’t finish better than 66 points there is a huge issue.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I disagree. You have two guys in Reinhart and Eichel, Risto...and the depth they brought in. If your core players having 4-5 years experience can’t finish better than 66 points there is a huge issue.

Why does it have to be a core issue? If they are producing and are close to 30-40% of your team's offense, shouldn't that raise questions about the support players? One of the main issues and reason of last year's result was the poor non-core roster. The core was the only thing keeping us in games. You can only ask your young core to carry the team so much. They did their job last year.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Why does it have to be a core issue? If they are producing and are close to 30-40% of your team's offense, shouldn't that raise questions about the support players? One of the main issues and reason of last year's result was the poor non-core roster. The core was the only thing keeping us in games. You can only ask your young core to carry the team so much. They did their job last year.

You and I won’t see eye to eye on this issue if your 66 point prediction rings true.

The good part for me is I simply don’t see that prediction coming true. I say they will have 85-90 points. The team, IMO, will be more solid in terms of depth, talent and maturity.

Reactions: Dingo44

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
If this is a cup-caliber core as we all hope, they need to make the playoffs by '19-20 at the latest. I expect some big big improvement starting this year, we have upgraded our talent, speed, and depth considerably while goaltending really can't be any worse and should be a bit better at worst. If we are at least in the hunt this season I'll be satisfied.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
You act as if there is no conceivable way that 4-5 years experience core and the improvement in bottom-6 depth could be weighed down by a coach who isn't NHL-caliber, or by goaltending as equally craptastic as last season? Or that Sheary, Skinner, and Mittelstadt into the top 6 will automatically be better than Kane and O'Reilly going out?

Like @OkimLom, I feel another poor finish (essentially no-to-minimal progress from last season) doesn't by default impugn the "young core".

Reactions: Jim Bob

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
More should be expected out of both of them - Eichel's already been a PPG player, time for him to put up 90 if he's healthy. Reinhart should be expected to score 60 points minimum. 2nd picks overall, one of them described as 'generational' talent.

We tanked deliberately, incurred the wrath and derision for doing it, for those 2 guys.

I'm not saying we shouldn't expect more, I'm saying their production shouldn't be what holds us back from being .500.

45% Corsi. Not going to predict unpredictable things.

Is this a joke or are you serious?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad