Speculation: Sabre's record by New Years

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Disagree entirely but would like to add the caveat that adding a Nolan type player isn't the answer either. We 100% need to add some toughness to the roster but it needs to be in the way of a productive player who can still skate a normal shift.

I wish we would have taken a flier on Oleksiak before he turned the corner a bit in Pittsburgh. Or Anderson during his Columbus contract beef.

There aren't many realistic options out there for guys we can aquire, afford, can play a shift, and can offer that enforcer level of grit. The best idea I've been able to think of is one of the Ritchie brothers. A Nylander for Ritchie trade could be interesting as both are falling short of draft pedigree but both provide different skillsets. Brett Ritchie would likely cost much less and has in the past shown the ability to flirt with 20 goals. Neither are heavies by any strecth of the imagination but both could help keep teams honest with our younger guys and if we lost them for 5 minutes it wouldnt hurt the Sabres either.

Really off the wall idea could be Nick Foligno but significant salary would need to go back and Lumbus would need incentive to move him...

One of Miller or McQuaid one the young guys force their way onto the Bruins roster?

I dont know...
I like the idea of using nylander to get a guy like that because he probably still has value around the league and would get a decent return. If we could get a solid NHL body and a pick, or the ability to move one of our contracts I'd be happy.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Define soft please, and how it plays a significant factor in the result of a hockey game.... with something other than a circular argument

it's a pretty unspecific term and it doesn't mean much unless you're willing to elaborate

The effectiveness of our forwards being able to separate guys from the puck consistently, especially when forechecking. I believe we are soft in front of the net in clearing the crease effectively as well, which yields multiple scoring chances off rebounds, something we struggled with last year. Guys that are capable of absorbing the body from a hit to protect the puck. Then there is The ability of our players capable of knocking the puck carrier off the puck to initiate the transition game when in the defensive zone.

Then you have the times when we need a fight to spark the bench, or a guy to answer a cheap shot onto Eichel or Mitts or Dahlin or another guy. Yes, it most likely mean he would answer to the other team’s equal, but if you don’t do something about it, team’s will have no problem intimidating the guys, and without any solution to answer for their actions, the team’s will continue to lean our guys. Instead we have to rely on a guy like Risto to step in as he has shown willing, but then you have him coming off the ice for a bit.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
The effectiveness of our forwards being able to separate guys from the puck consistently, especially when forechecking. I believe we are soft in front of the net in clearing the crease effectively as well, which yields multiple scoring chances off rebounds, something we struggled with last year. Guys that are capable of absorbing the body from a hit to protect the puck. Then there is The ability of our players capable of knocking the puck carrier off the puck to initiate the transition game when in the defensive zone.

Then you have the times when we need a fight to spark the bench, or a guy to answer a cheap shot onto Eichel or Mitts or Dahlin or another guy. Yes, it most likely mean he would answer to the other team’s equal, but if you don’t do something about it, team’s will have no problem intimidating the guys, and without any solution to answer for their actions, the team’s will continue to lean our guys. Instead we have to rely on a guy like Risto to step in as he has shown willing, but then you have him coming off the ice for a bit.
If we aren't dumping and chasing every other break-in, winning those battles is less of a factor. Our centers have no problems retrieving in defensive zone, and that's where it counts.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Weren't we listed as the team with the best dump-in retrieval rate?

Also I think we need brains with our brawn. Risto might be our strongest guy but can be pretty brutal when it comes to clearing the front of the net.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
If we aren't dumping and chasing every other break-in, winning those battles is less of a factor. Our centers have no problems retrieving in defensive zone, and that's where it counts.

And when the team tries to carry the puck and is bumped off the puck often and can't win battles to win back the puck?

Eichel, has shown to be the only center on the current roster capable of retrieving the puck. The others not so much, or haven't had a chance to prove it.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
And when the team tries to carry the puck and is bumped off the puck often and can't win battles to win back the puck?

Eichel, has shown to be the only center on the current roster capable of retrieving the puck. The others not so much, or haven't had a chance to prove it.
Can't bump what you can't catch!

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo

So what you're saying is that our team defense was lacking last year because we weren't psychical enough? I'd say that definitely was a problem, but there were also a multitude of other bigger problems (bad positioning and lack of defensive awareness) that cost us way more. But I also think we upgraded the team in those areas. To what degree we'll find out as the season progresses... it would, however, genuinely shock me if we were a worse defensive team this year than last

either way, no, I don't think we need a tough guy running around 'defending' guys when those types of situations are so rare these days that they barely have any affect on the outcome of a season. and I think we did fine stepping up when we needed to last year. not that we we're perfect, but adequate enough when appropriate.

our biggest problems were scoring, d awareness, and goaltending. Not 'toughness'

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
So what you're saying is that our team defense was lacking last year because we weren't psychical enough?

If it fits what I was saying, then sure I guess I'm saying that. But I wasn't directly saying that. There were multitude of reasons why our "defense" was lacking. One of which was, yes, not being physical enough, especially in front of the net.

I'd say that definitely was a problem, but there were also a multitude of other bigger problems (bad positioning and lack of defensive awareness) that cost us way more.

Agree completely, but toughness shouldn't be ignored.

But I also think we upgraded the team in those areas. To what degree we'll find out as the season progresses... it would, however, genuinely shock me if we were a worse defensive team this year than last

In what ways has the team improved upon bad positioning and lacking defensive awareness?

either way, no, I don't think we need a tough guy running around 'defending' guys when those types of situations are so rare these days that they barely have any affect on the outcome of a season.

They might not have an affect on the outcome of a season, but they sure as hell help get the team closer and become a close knit team, and they are usually the guys that are the glue of the team. Right now, we have on the roster, Beaulieu, Bogosian, Risto, Scandella, and McCabe as those left that fought last year. If Beaulieu is leaned on to be the toughness, that means we also get his negative play in the lineup, Bogosian, you probably are getting 40-50 games out of, which isn't quality hockey himself, Risto & Scandella, I think we can all agree on we don't want in the box if they don't need to, and they are more valuable on the ice than off of it. McCabe, probably the one guy you're okay with having in the lineup, and are okay with having off the ice for serving a fighting penalty. Of the guys who fought, Nolan was the only forward that fought last year.

and I think we did fine stepping up when we needed to last year. not that we we're perfect, but adequate enough when appropriate.
I disagree about the team stepping up and the fine job they did.

our biggest problems were scoring, d awareness, and goaltending. Not 'toughness'
Toughness was a problem, but sure, it wasn't our biggest problem but why fix the roof before it leaks?

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
bruins- L
rags- W
knights- L
avs- OTL
yotes- W
knights- L
sharks- W
kings- L
ducks- L
habs- W