Post-Game Talk: Sabres @ Rangers -- 4/27/21

3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
To be fair, the usual suspects hate every coach. The only coaches they like are some of the ones not on the Rangers.

They will hate those coaches if they get hired here, though.
I think this is correct. I - for one - tend to basically assume I’m not qualified to seriously criticize how someone in another field of work does their job. I don’t have all the info and don’t see the whole picture, so I give people the benefit of the doubt. I certainly complain about specific moves and decisions that are made, but I think that’s reasonable. Maybe it’s a generational thing.

That said, I was pretty fed up with AV at the end of his run. The team was running on empty and he looked asleep at the wheel. But management was pro-active, I think, and did the right thing. So I’m pretty confident things are under control.

Last edited:

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Speaking of second guessing. With Shesty losing big the last time they played, and with Georgie's stellar record against them, wouldn't that be much more a case of second guessing if Shesty loses again? If Georgie loses , I don't see any second guessing with his record against the Isles. Plus this is a game we have to have. They tried Shesty last time,.. it's time for Georgie and his domination over this team to get the must win. It also gives Shesty a little more time off to recoup, since he has been our solid number one over the past month. He's played a lot lately. I would feel better with Georgie getting the first game.
Anytime you play your backup in a playoff game - this is our playoffs - you get second-guessed. And deservedly so. Igor is in net unless he’s hurt.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Speaking of second guessing. With Shesty losing big the last time they played, and with Georgie's stellar record against them, wouldn't that be much more a case of second guessing if Shesty loses again? If Georgie loses , I don't see any second guessing with his record against the Isles. Plus this is a game we have to have. They tried Shesty last time,.. it's time for Georgie and his domination over this team to get the must win. It also gives Shesty a little more time off to recoup, since he has been our solid number one over the past month. He's played a lot lately. I would feel better with Georgie getting the first game.

That was a fluke game and only the second time Shesty gave up more than 4 goals in his career.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Got to say I was impressed with Sabres. Not surprising they recently got impressive wins against the top of the East. So there’s nothing to take away from the Rangers recent wins against them.

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
Got to say I was impressed with Sabres. Not surprising they recently got impressive wins against the top of the East. So there’s nothing to take away from the Rangers recent wins against them.

They are playing loose, high-flying hockey to try to establish themselves in the lineup for next year. They'll be dangerous against anybody.

Reactions: kovazub94

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
steve-somers.jpg
Is this that the guy from Gizmos and Gadgets?
hqdefault.jpg

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
To be fair, the usual suspects hate every coach. The only coaches they like are some of the ones not on the Rangers.

They will hate those coaches if they get hired here, though.

There are people like that but you are painting with too broad a brush.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG

I'm not saying everyone. I'm saying there's a certain chunk of fans who think the reason their team isn't winning a Cup is because the coach is screwing up.

LetsGoRangers2021

Jan 25, 2021
They've hated every coach before. Why will that change?

Not every fan will, of course, but no matter who coaches next, a sizeable part of the people here will eventually turn on him.

Look at the other boards, here. A lot of folks at most of the team pages are disappointed with their coach. It's a constant.

When Quinn is gone, some will immediately moan that it's the wrong guy replacing him. Then, they'll stubbornly stay locked into that belief, no matter what happens.

Every fanbase, in every sport, eventually turns on the coach, with very few exceptions.
Exactly. I think the most annoying thing about the Quinn haters are that they whine and moan about things that aren’t even true.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Exactly. I think the most annoying thing about the Quinn haters are that they whine and moan about things that aren’t even true.

There is certainly a crew which cry regardless yet Quinn does provide some ammo. A lot of the complaining i/we ignore yet some moves stick out imo. Last game Fox and company kept the puck in the Buffalo zone for a long while. Buffalo was exhausted and the Rangers were able to make a change for an apparent lopsided advantage. He sends Rooney and Howden out there and Buffalo escapes as Rooney takes an awful angle shot.

Yes, i’m cherry picking and this is a very young team which makes me more lenient towards the coach. If this team was ready to win though i think Quinn’s rope would be a bit shorter. Two years from now i anticipate this team being a lot mote dangerous.

Reactions: romba

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
There is certainly a crew which cry regardless yet Quinn does provide some ammo. A lot of the complaining i/we ignore yet some moves stick out imo. Last game Fox and company kept the puck in the Buffalo zone for a long while. Buffalo was exhausted and the Rangers were able to make a change for an apparent lopsided advantage. He sends Rooney and Howden out there and Buffalo escapes as Rooney takes an awful angle shot.

Yes, i’m cherry picking and this is a very young team which makes me more lenient towards the coach. If this team was ready to win though i think Quinn’s rope would be a bit shorter. Two years from now i anticipate this team being a lot mote dangerous.

That was horrible in game management by Quinn which I have been critical of before. Why Do you put Rooney and Howden on the ice in the offensive zone in that situation? Totally inexcusable. This is what drives me crazy about this coach. Why is Howden even playing? Why is Blackwell still on 2nd line and not Kravs? Blackwell has not been good for quite some time now and moving Kravs up would be a shot in the arm for a 2nd line that looks a little stale. We need every advantage we can get during these next 6 games. Make the move Quinn.

Reactions: NYSPORTS

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG

There's one poster in that group who wrote something in the past week that perfectly explains why he is incapable of clear thinking. If I posted his name and/or what he posted, I would, at the very least, be suspended from this site, so....

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG

Just looked through the Hartford thread here and two posters have similar complaints about their coach (Knoblauch) and he was promoted as a huge improvement over Quinn, by posters in the NHL part of this board, when he subbed for him with the parent team during Quinn's Covid.

It serves as a good example as to my point about fans and their view of the coach, no matter who he is.

Last edited:

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
There's plenty to dislike about Quinn, but plenty to get behind as well (like EVERY COACH IN THE LEAGUE). Haters view it with blinders, stuff that's good is irrelevant to Quinn or would be better with someone else, stuff that's bad is fully on him. It's ridiculous already, I'm close to using the ignore feature. When it's not Quinn related, I appreciate what everyone has to add and don't want to lose that, shame.

Laf was starting to show life THREE WEEKS AGO WHY DID QUINN ONLY MOVE HIM UP NOW?!?! Talk about nitpicking grievances. You think Julien or Trotz would be better with this? Ppl complain Quinn is too much about winning, so are those guys! CK is a beloved vet in the lockerroom, a real leader who kept the team afloat when Mika and Panarin went through their things. You can't throw him to line 4 on a whim for a rookie, after said rookie looked COMPLETELY lost and 4 steps behind the play one a top line earlier this year, and not expect to lose the lockerroom. When it became clear to all the players that Laf was the clear upgrade to CK and trending even better, he made the move. There's alot that needs to be taken into consideration, this isn't a videogame.

Laf looks terrible to begin the season despite being given top tier linemates: QUINN IS RUINING HIM HE DOESN"T KNOW HOW TO COMMUNICATE WITH EUROPEANS OR NON-NCAA PLAYERS :nod:

Laf looks good to end the season: WHY DIDN'T QUINN PUT HIM IN POSITION TO SUCCEED SOONER?!?

Lastly, Kakko complaining to Finnish media last year about how he was used also tells me more about his (immature) mindset last year, than it does about Quinn. The tough love has worked YET AGAIN (Buch was sent to line 4 under Quinn repeatedly and has grown from it, VK had trouble swallowing it but has come back stronger for it, Laf was demoted and worked to improve his game). Kakko too was 4 steps behind the play and weak on the puck last year and deserved his line position and ice time. I'm certain if he reviewed game tape from last year he'd laugh at thinking he deserved better. He would have been line 1, PP1 with 20 min a night riding the bus in the A but not sure he would have preferred that.

LetsGoRangers2021

Jan 25, 2021
There's one poster in that group who wrote something in the past week that perfectly explains why he is incapable of clear thinking. If I posted his name and/or what he posted, I would, at the very least, be suspended from this site, so....

lol my favorite were the guys that kept complaining (usually after a low time game) that our kids weren’t getting enough time - specifically referencing kakko with 10 min. Except they weren’t smart enough to look up the avg for laf and kappo for the season were 14 and 15 min respectively. Also not remembering that fox and miller were averaging 20+ a game.

Then would say things like- they need first line and pp time. Forgetting that we have panarin/buch/kreider up there. Oh yea, and all of those times quinn DID put laf and kapp on the top two lines early on.

there is always something. Quite frankly, quinn and staff have done a TREMENDOUS job bringing the youngest team in the league into a top 50% team that has improved every week. Argue me this as well- every young player on the team has substantially improved under Quinns watch.

enough already with the armchair wannabes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad