Eklund Rumor: Sabres Prioritize Moving Kane (Kings, Blues, Knights)

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Just make it simple; offer Kane at 50% retention for the right to select anyone on the exposed list for the expansion draft.

Buffalo does it as this allows them to upgrade their defense. LV gets a basically free year of Kane to see if he works and is amiable to an extension; if not they can flip him at the deadline.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Just make it simple; offer Kane at 50% retention for the right to select anyone on the exposed list for the expansion draft.

Buffalo does it as this allows them to upgrade their defense. LV gets a basically free year of Kane to see if he works and is amiable to an extension; if not they can flip him at the deadline.

Buffalo doesn't need to retain anything on anyone going to Vegas. Even if its only a year.
Vegas may have, and I stress may have, a couple solid d men coming to them via the ED, but that's not written in stone yet.
If Kane is traded this off season, it'll most likely be a 1 for 1 deal for a D man.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Kinda works

No it really doesn't. Kane has higher end speed, finishes his checks. Whereas Eberle has not been a fluid offensive player in his last few seasons and is trending down. He's also diminutive in size and his defensive game is suspect. You're paying plus on Eberle if you want Kane, because he's a downgrade.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Buffalo doesn't need to retain anything on anyone going to Vegas. Even if its only a year.
Vegas may have, and I stress may have, a couple solid d men coming to them via the ED, but that's not written in stone yet.
If Kane is traded this off season, it'll most likely be a 1 for 1 deal for a D man.

I was offering the retention for the right to select anyone not on the protected list. Such as Vegas not cutting side deals until after Buffalo informs who they want so for ex Minn losing one of Brodin, Dumba or Spurgeon...not for Buffalo to just get one of the players Vegas selects

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
Forbort, Clague, Kempe ? Just a few names. Martinez makes a lot of sense. Or Kane +++ for Muzzin.

Makes a lot of sense from LA's perspective. Muzzin is a no go. Leaves too big a hole to replace on D. Trading Martinez also allows the Kings to protect just 3 D in the draft. Forbort or Kempe are non-starters as well.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I honestly think Vegas will steer clear hard of any questionable character issues. Last thing they would want is a PR problem with a player partying too hard around town. Maybe Kane has matured out of that, but fair or not the fact is he's developed a reputation. Team is likely not to be good for a couple of years, last thing they need are stories outside the rink making the rounds.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Makes a lot of sense from LA's perspective. Muzzin is a no go. Leaves too big a hole to replace on D. Trading Martinez also allows the Kings to protect just 3 D in the draft. Forbort or Kempe are non-starters as well.

While I agree moving Amart for forward help. Moving him for a guy that will walk in a year as a ufa cause we have no $$ for him just continues the dumb moves Dean was making the past few years. For that reason alone the Kings should not be involved in any deal for a guy like Kane. We need to stop trading good pieces for anything that's not or can't be part of the plan long term.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
While I agree moving Amart for forward help. Moving him for a guy that will walk in a year as a ufa cause we have no $$ for him just continues the dumb moves Dean was making the past few years. For that reason alone the Kings should not be involved in any deal for a guy like Kane. We need to stop trading good pieces for anything that's not or can't be part of the plan long term.

I have to disagree. Martinez will probably be gone anyway due to salary and in-house players than can replace him. Kings only have a few more shots at a cup run...its too late to worry about past moves now.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
I have to disagree. Martinez will probably be gone anyway due to salary and in-house players than can replace him. Kings only have a few more shots at a cup run...its too late to worry about past moves now.

You don't keep digging the hole by making the same dumb moves in hopes of one more chance. Yea they need to move Amart for help up front but that should be in the form of someone who will be here longer than just one season. Trade him for young forward help. Trading asset for guys that have no chance of being here long term is how the Kings have always been run before Dean. We all know how bad that ends. We will have to agree to disagree.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
ITT people making up stuff about Kane and treating him like a scrub. News flash, he's averaged 30g/82gp since becoming a Sabre. And whoever said he is lazy or isn't a hard worker is literally talking out their butt. Kane is probably the hardest working Sabre and one of the hardest working players in the league.

Contract or no, Kane holds value. On ice he has had ZERO incidents with the Sabres and his teammates love him. Kane and Eichel are close friends, they come into the barbershop my cousin works at together and my cousin cuts Kanes hair. He also was in Vegas last week and was drinking with Kane.

Kane isn't some scrub grinder. He's one of the highest goal scoring LWers in the entire league since 2010, over 150 career goals and he is all of 25 years old. That's worth a bit. Kane absolutely brings back a top 4 dman, top pairing no, but if you think Kane isn't worth a #3-4 dman (a dman in the 60-120 range) you are out to freaking lunch :laugh:

Kane is also an elite even strength goal scorer. He's worth a lot more then HFBOARDS TRADE RUMORS message board poster MrJiggyFlyXX420 thinks he is. Offers like Hutton for KAne and #8 are atrocious Kane alone is worth far more then a dman like Ben ****ING Hutton even with one year left on his deal.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
How does buffalo feel about Maatta+Sheary+27-30 overall for Kane+8th OA?

Pitt fans might say we have no need for 8th OA cause we are "win now" but a pick that high very well may step in and contribute. Maatta did and he was drafted in the 20's overall. Plus it helps us with expansion

Sorry, but that's terrible.

Maatta has been very bad in the playoffs...just like last year. Actually, he was poor in most Pens games I saw this year. I don't think he becomes a top 4 defenceman.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
You don't keep digging the hole by making the same dumb moves in hopes of one more chance. Yea they need to move Amart for help up front but that should be in the form of someone who will be here longer than just one season. Trade him for young forward help. Trading asset for guys that have no chance of being here long term is how the Kings have always been run before Dean. We all know how bad that ends. We will have to agree to disagree.

The problem is the Kings don't have a long term any more! Amart won't return much of anything in terms of forward help so they need to gamble on Kane. The market for D men right now will be poor due to the expansion draft, the fact that Buffalo appears to want to rid themselves of Kane may be the only chance the Kings have to get the upfront help they need without crippling the team elsewhere.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Sorry, but that's terrible.

Maatta has been very bad in the playoffs...just like last year. Actually, he was poor in most Pens games I saw this year. I don't think he becomes a top 4 defenceman.

I don't want Maatta anywhere near Buffalo. Thanks. Last night's embarrassment says everything we need to know about him. I'd rather have an 8OA Liljegren that may well be a total bust than trade the pick for OM.

Kane for Sheary+late first I probably do but Pitts don't cause salary... So no trade.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
ITT people making up stuff about Kane and treating him like a scrub. News flash, he's averaged 30g/82gp since becoming a Sabre. And whoever said he is lazy or isn't a hard worker is literally talking out their butt. Kane is probably the hardest working Sabre and one of the hardest working players in the league.

Contract or no, Kane holds value. On ice he has had ZERO incidents with the Sabres and his teammates love him. Kane and Eichel are close friends, they come into the barbershop my cousin works at together and my cousin cuts Kanes hair. He also was in Vegas last week and was drinking with Kane.

Kane isn't some scrub grinder. He's one of the highest goal scoring LWers in the entire league since 2010, over 150 career goals and he is all of 25 years old. That's worth a bit. Kane absolutely brings back a top 4 dman, top pairing no, but if you think Kane isn't worth a #3-4 dman (a dman in the 60-120 range) you are out to freaking lunch :laugh:

Kane is also an elite even strength goal scorer. He's worth a lot more then HFBOARDS TRADE RUMORS message board poster MrJiggyFlyXX420 thinks he is. Offers like Hutton for KAne and #8 are atrocious Kane alone is worth far more then a dman like Ben ****ING Hutton even with one year left on his deal.

You might be right about Kane, but there's still 'zero' chance the Sabres re-sign him when he ends next season as a UFA.....and they're not in a position to let him walk for nothing....so he's going somewhere.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I could see the Kings taking a chance on Kane in a deal for Martinez, but I wouldn't want to see Blake offer much more than Martinez.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00