Friedman: Sabres preparing for An Additional Top Ten Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Agreed! Not to mention Canucks have no cap space too.

I actually really, really like the premise of Reinhart in Vancouver.
That said, they're going to be in tough finding cap space for what they already have. Unless they can unload some of the bad contracts Buffalo's way too.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
A former #2 overall who just finished top 10 in the NHL in goals on the season isn't worth a top 10 pick in a historically weak draft? Really?

I actually mucked his contract situation. For some reason I thought he had one left before ufa.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Wouldn't be surprised if Ottawa was offering up their pick for Sam Reinhart.

agreed and ottawa is very liberal with handing out 2nd round picks like candy so I can see buffalo getting a really good return

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
No way he's generating a top ten pick on his own
Ehh...maybe, especially in this draft, if a team wants a forward. Agree that I don't see him netting a top 5 or 6 pick, but then there could be other parts of the deal. We on HFB always overvalue picks . The game is littered with examples of top 10 picks that achieved nothing, or near nothing.

Kaen

Dec 29, 2009
A former #2 overall who just finished top 10 in the NHL in goals on the season isn't worth a top 10 pick in a historically weak draft? Really?

Being arbitration eligible and only a year away from UFA likely has a huge impact on his value. Locked up at a reasonable contract long term his value is likely pick 6-10 with a reasonable +, but with the current situation it seems unlikely that the Sabres get that. If he agrees to a reasonable extension with the team trading for him, I don't think a ~10ish overall is impossible though.

section 218

Jan 31, 2007
Reinhardt to Jackets for Korpy and 5th overall or Risto to Devils for 4th overall my guesses
Weak draft I like 1st 2 that will go off the board Powers, Beniers after that there is a drop off any of 8 players could go 3rd
Also like Wallstedt just dont think a goalie will go top 5

Reactions: Kublakhan

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
I like these threads like every other team in the top ten aren't preparing for maybe having another pick.... they all do it, because you just never know what will happen

Reactions: QuizGuy66

raswilliam

Feb 18, 2008
East TN.
I still agree eichel to LA makes the most sense… they have the right sort of assets too.

I disagree. If you trade for Eichel, you have $20m tied up in 2 centers. kopitar and Eichel. Where do you put Byfeild? on the 3rd line? Plus we have Doughty making north of $10m. so that would be $30m tied up in 3 players.

I could be wrong, but I just dont see it.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I disagree. If you trade for Eichel, you have $20m tied up in 2 centers. kopitar and Eichel. Where do you put Byfeild? on the 3rd line? Plus we have Doughty making north of $10m. so that would be $30m tied up in 3 players.

I could be wrong, but I just dont see it.

Might not be Eichel. Vilardi and 8OA for Reinhart would be a win-win for both Buffalo and LA.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I don’t think Jim Rutherford set the price for anyone else.

Off the top of my head, Washington gave up a 1st and 2nd to swap relatively comparable players in Mantha and Vrana. Toronto has paid 1sts to dump one year of Marleau and get a rental Foligno.

This draft year by all accounts was not considered all that strong and relative draft position matters less this year than most other seasons.

Lets not pretend a GM wouldn't say - hey, I have a team that:

1) can make the playoffs and maybe do some damage; or
2) has a deep prospect pool and need to add some NHLers.

Lets look at adding the 25 year old C/W with decent size that scores with regularity and has decent underlying numbers on a garbage Sabres team.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia