Sabres Number One Priority Is Winning

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
Do you think upper management buys that excuse when they are about to fire a GM for missing the playoffs?

I bet no GM has ever saved his job with that excuse so why should we buy it?

Do you know what its like reading your post about having patience when we have missed the playoffs so many years in a row we now own the record? Pegula's 3 year plan was so long ago no one is left on the time from that statement 😂

Also what exactly is "a bunch of draft capital" for a bottom 6 defender? What do you think they get traded for? Most get traded for a 3rd round draft pick. Is that a bunch of capital to you?
I get it, it's been 50 million years since we made the playoffs and they need to making moves to push into the playoffs right now. If you were to make any deals right now you for sure would be paying a lot more then a 3rd pick.

I am not against them making moves, I just understand that moves aren't happening right now. With 2 to 3 teams that are out of it you for sure would be overpaying for any players.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
I get it, it's been 50 million years since we made the playoffs and they need to making moves to push into the playoffs right now. If you were to make any deals right now you for sure would be paying a lot more then a 3rd pick.

I am not against them making moves, I just understand that moves aren't happening right now. With 2 to 3 teams that are out of it you for sure would be overpaying for any players.
Its not so much about "panic moves","draft capital" or whatever catchy thing that can be said its about the entire picture over time. "No GMs are making moves" well they were in the off season and at other times and he didn't improve the defense or our goaltending situation. I am not all in or all out but I measure what is done of the course of Adams tenure and if Adams can't fix the holes as shown in the past then why have faith he can do it in the future? Until he actually does it why would I give him credit for it?

The progress so far is good but Adams is going to have a job based on making the playoffs and we aren't going to this year. So if he couldn't do it last off season and its status quo next season then what? More patience? We all know moves HAVE to be made on defense and goaltending. 12 months from now the sabres are not in the playoff picture Adams will be on the hot seat. So if he doesn't do it in the next 12 months he will be out of a job.

Last edited:

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
Its not so much about "panic moves","draft capital" or whatever catchy thing that can be said its about the entire picture over time. "No GMs are making moves" well they were in the off season and at other times and he didn't improve the defense or our goaltending situation. I am not all in or all out but I measure what is done of the course of Adams tenure and if Adams can't fix the holes as shown in the past then why have faith he can do it in the future? Until he actually does it why would I give him credit for it?

The progress so far is good but Adams is going to have a job based on making the playoffs and we aren't going to this year. So if he couldn't do it last off season and its status quo next season then what? More patience? We all know moves HAVE to be made on defense and goaltending. 12 months from now the sabres are not in the playoff picture Adams will be on the hot seat. So if he doesn't do it in the next 12 months he will be out of a job.
I have faith as I do see Adams fixing some holes at the deadline and in the off season. Going into this season I thought our goaltending situation was fine and still do. There wasn't much out there that was much better. He did try to get Murray and Murray said no. As far as defense goes I didn't think guys like Bryson, Fitzgerald would decline this much.

No one could have expected them to be scoring as much as they are or be this close to a playoff spot. Personally I figured they would be in the mix but more like 10 points out at this point in the season. Because they are where they are many here are pushing for moves to get into the playoffs no matter the cost.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
The more I think about it, the more I think that the goals aren't as misaligned as you lay out.

I think the 8-1-1 streak kind of forced Granato's hand in that he has to at the very least talk like this season is about winning and at least play the veterans to close out games to make it appear like he's trying to win now. I think Granato knows deep down that this team isn't a playoff team......but he doesn't want to say that lest he lose the room. He's still trotting out the top line and Cozens with 28 and 21 to close out games. He's given the Jost line opportunities at the end of games to close it out. The only think he's not doing is playing Quinn and Peterka late in games when we need a goal. I think other than trying to instill a defensive system....Granato is handling this "in between" quite well.
I‘d go further and say there is no gap between Granato/Adams.

Granato’s full comments were about keeping UPL up and how they planned to do it at the time. Thats it.

Basically they feel keeping UPL up gives them a better chance to win and they will take advantage of the ELCs to make it happen for the time being. Now they waived Hino to permanently address it.

It really doesn‘t go deeper than that, even if posters want to believe it does.

Last edited:

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Dear Rasmus Dahlin,

Unfortunately, we will be unable to trade for Timo Meier for a playoff push this year.

First; we love our draft picks. Second, we are committed to our rookies learning and developing in the NHL. We are confident that Jack Quinn will be an impact player in two or three seasons. Just look at Cozens this season in his third year in the league! If we do make the playoffs this year, we expect Quinn to contribute in the same way he did last year in the AHL playoffs.

Sincerely,
The Sabres philosophy

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Dear Rasmus Dahlin,

Unfortunately, we will be unable to trade for Timo Meier for a playoff push this year.

First; we love our draft picks. Second, we are committed to our rookies learning and developing in the NHL. We are confident that Jack Quinn will be an impact player in two or three seasons. Just look at Cozens this season in his third year in the league! If we do make the playoffs this year, we expect Quinn to contribute in the same way he did last year in the AHL playoffs.

Sincerely,
The Sabres philosophy
For real... man Jack Quinn is my favorite prospect and I think he is going to be great but I'd drive him to airport to get Timo Meier

Reactions: Asymmetric Solution

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
For real... man Jack Quinn is my favorite prospect and I think he is going to be great but I'd drive him to airport to get Timo Meier
I would be willing to trade draft picks and park Quinn in the AHL for a playoff push this year. Good to have waiver exempt depth.

I'm not meaning to dunk on Quinn specifically, or advocate for Meier specifically. Just to rethink whether we should be buyers at the deadline. How many teams in a playoff position with cap space wouldn't upgrade on elements of their lineup?

Reactions: Beerz

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
I would be willing to trade draft picks and park Quinn in the AHL for a playoff push this year. Good to have waiver exempt depth.

I'm not meaning to dunk on Quinn specifically, or advocate for Meier specifically. Just to rethink whether we should be buyers at the deadline. How many teams in a playoff position with cap space wouldn't upgrade on elements of their lineup?

So how exactly are we supposed to fit him cap wise after next year?

Cozens will make about 8x8mil
Dahlin around 8x10.5mil
Power around 8x9mil if given a longer term contract
Skinner already makes 9mil and Thompson gets 7.14mil

If Meier makes 8x8mil

We'd have 6 players making just over 51 mil.

Not included would be Tuch at 4.75, Muel at 4.28 which would place us at 60 mil for

Skinner - Thompson - Tuch
?? - Cozens -Meier
?? - ?? - ??
?? - ?? - ??

Muel - Dahlin
Power - ??
?? - ??

??
??

??
??
??

All those ??s would need to equal approximately 26 mil if the cap gets to 86mil in two years. That's 15 players including 2 goalies. Plus we will still need to resign Quinn, Peterka, possibly UPL and eventually anyone else left.

So that is where I see the major issue.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Grouch

Apr 22, 2021

Dahlin around 8x10.5mil

If Meier makes 8x8mil

Not included would be Tuch at 4.75, Muel at 4.28 which would place us at 60 mil for

?? - Cozens -Meier
?? - ?? - ??
?? - ?? - ??

Muel - Dahlin
Power - ??
?? - ??

??
??

??
??
??

All those ??s would need to equal approximately 26 mil if the cap gets to 86mil in two years. That's 15 players including 2 goalies. Plus we will still need to resign Quinn, Peterka, possibly UPL and eventually anyone else left.

Well, I think Cozens in more like 8 x $7.5m TOPS

Powers isn't getting 8 x 9......he will get a bridge of 3 x 5-6m.

Dahlin is 8 x $9.5m or $10m (I'd bet $9.5m)

UPL gets 3 or 4 x $3m

Krebs/Mitts prob sign for 3 yrs @ $2m for Krebs and $2.75 for Mitts. (hasn't really earned more)

Few guys on entry level contracts (2F 1D)

Backup Goalie - $1.5m

Peterka maybe bridge something like 3x$3m

Guys like Jost/Hino/Asplund (multiple options that are not them) can be had for between $1.25 and $2m to fill roster.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012

Dahlin around 8x10.5mil

If Meier makes 8x8mil

?? - Cozens -Meier
?? - ?? - ??
?? - ?? - ??

Muel - Dahlin
Power - ??
?? - ??

??
??

??
??
??

power scores twice and is now making 9mil

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Dahlin is a guy you pay, regardless of the cap.

Do you really mean to say that if Dahlin asks for $11M AAV, you aren't signing him?

If he asks for $11M, then I tell him we'll give him $9.5M.

What recent D has signed for more than $10M AAV?

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
They're paying him. If it takes $12 million a year that's what he's getting. He's one of the best players in the league period.

he keeps up his play, we may be looking at a max contract. He leads us on a playoff run and backs it up next season, I'd pay him a max contract

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
They're paying him. If it takes $12 million a year that's what he's getting. He's one of the best players in the league period.
Part of me, while I doubt it will happen is hoping some of the kids take slight discounts to keep the core intact and allow for some more firepower. As of right now we are in no place to be afraid to spend past the cap floor.

Reactions: Chainshot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad