Sabres Number One Priority Is Winning

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
According to the Coach the number one priority is winning. The number 2 priority is development.

Has it always been this way under Granato/Adams or has it changed recently?

It would seem like the players need this messaging. Do what it takes to win.

Edit:

Granato: "So, we’ll keep going day-to-day but not lose sight of our number one priority, winning, and number two being that development and maximizing development will help us win more."

Last edited:

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
It probably always was. But the point was go play and try things and learn. Although they should start punishing players for screwing up in the defensive zone now, and let them do whatever in the offensive zone.

Do your thing beyond the opposition’s blueline. Do my thing in your own blue line. And skate your ass off everywhere.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
According to the Coach the number one priority is winning. The number 2 priority is development.

Has it always been this way under Granato/Adams or has it changed recently?

It would seem like the players need this messaging. Do what it takes to win.
Sounds like the opposite of what Adams says.

If number 1 was winning then Pilut, Boosh, Clague, Bryson and Fitz wouldn't have been our 4-5-6 defensemen.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Sounds like the opposite of what Adams says.

If number 1 was winning then Pilut, Boosh, Clague, Bryson and Fitz wouldn't have been our 4-5-6 defensemen.

Holy revisionist history. Boosh was a solid, solid 5/6 guy on Toronto for years.....and many Leafs fans were NOT happy he left at all.

Bryson was a solid #6 for us last year who didn't play terribly when forced with more minutes. His backslide was completely unexpected.

Fitz looked REAL solid at the end of last year. To the point where some (many?) of us here on the board were wondering if he'd get a legit shot at being a regular in the top 6. His backslide was also completely unexpected.

Pilut and Clague are your typical 8/9 guys in an NHL organization though Clague is the one guy on your list who's actually outperformed expecations.

We'd have a fine organizational 1-9 if Bryson and Fitz didn't fall flat on their faces......though Bryson might be showing signs of coming out of it.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
There’s still development considerations. Otherwise they’d have made trades plural by now.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Holy revisionist history. Boosh was a solid, solid 5/6 guy on Toronto for years.....and many Leafs fans were NOT happy he left at all.

Bryson was a solid #6 for us last year who didn't play terribly when forced with more minutes. His backslide was completely unexpected.

Fitz looked REAL solid at the end of last year. To the point where some (many?) of us here on the board were wondering if he'd get a legit shot at being a regular in the top 6. His backslide was also completely unexpected.

Pilut and Clague are your typical 8/9 guys in an NHL organization though Clague is the one guy on your list who's actually outperformed expecations.

We'd have a fine organizational 1-9 if Bryson and Fitz didn't fall flat on their faces......though Bryson might be showing signs of coming out of it.

You mean on Arizona. He was with the Leafs from the TDL to the elimination of the team last year

Reactions: elchud and Fearnot

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022

When Joker went down what part did I revise?

Speaking of revision, Fitz never looked good.

You speak a lot about last year but this is this year.

If your team is fighting for a playoff spot and the defense is hurting your team you get help IF IF IF your number one priority is winning.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
When Joker went down what part did I revise?

Speaking of revision, Fitz never looked good.

You speak a lot about last year but this is this year.

If your team is fighting for a playoff spot and the defense is hurting your team you get help IF IF IF your number one priority is winning.

Yea, all the other teams competing for a playoff spot are making moves and Adams is doing nothing….oh wait, none of them are making trades

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Yea, all the other teams competing for a playoff spot are making moves and Adams is doing nothing….oh wait, none of them are making trades
No, I am only making my statement based off of the sabres saying winning is their number one priority.

I thought they said letting the team gel and grow together was their number one priority.

As for your statement GMs get fired for doing nothing. Maybe Adams is different but heat is gonna come down sooner or later.

Do you see any 4-5-6 defenders in the pipeline for next year?

This is Adams third year not making the playoffs. If Adams doesn't do anything and we don't make the playoffs next year will he still have a job? How many GMs can go 4 or 5 years without making the playoffs? At least it will be comforting for him to know other GMs didn't make trades too.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
No, I am only making my statement based off of the sabres saying winning is their number one priority.

I thought they said letting the team gel and grow together was their number one priority.

As for your statement GMs get fired for doing nothing. Maybe Adams is different but heat is gonna come down sooner or later.

Do you see any 4-5-6 defenders in the pipeline for next year?

They clearly see Joker and Boosh as top 6 defenders. You can disagree with them, but they clearly think so.

And Adams has time to make moves in the future with trades and free agency as the holes become more clear

Reactions: Zman5778

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
They clearly see Joker and Boosh as top 6 defenders. You can disagree with them, but they clearly think so.

And Adams has time to make moves in the future with trades and free agency as the holes become more clear
You are basically admitting that winning isn't the first priority by throwing in the towel this year.

You also admit there are no prospects with your statement so if winning is your first priority why are you waiting for the offseason?

If there was prospects in the pipeline I would understand this strategy.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
You are basically admitting that winning isn't the first priority by throwing in the towel this year.

You also admit there are no prospects with your statement so if winning is your first priority why are you waiting for the offseason?

If there was prospects in the pipeline I would understand this strategy.

I think they see Joker as a long term piece and they just got Boosh so he isn’t going anywhere. You’re talking about one spot.

Maybe they will add someone at the trade deadline or in the off-season, maybe they’ll sign Ryan Johnson for that long term piece

Trying to build a winning team doesn’t mean fixing every hole immediately. I dont think a single team has made moves this year to fill a hole mid season.

Reactions: Zman5778

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
I think they see Joker as a long term piece and they just got Boosh so he isn’t going anywhere. You’re talking about one spot.

Maybe they will add someone at the trade deadline or in the off-season, maybe they’ll sign Ryan Johnson for that long term piece

Trying to build a winning team doesn’t mean fixing every hole immediately. I dont think a single team has made moves this year to fill a hole mid season.
Trying to build a winning team is not the same thing as saying priority number 1 is winning.

Here's the thing. If we don't make the playoffs next year is Adams out of a job? 4 years no playoffs.

Whats the statistics of a GM missing the playoffs for 4 years and still having a job?

I think the Pegulas really like Adams so he might get a 5th year but man its looking like it better be one hell of an off season.

Thats my last post here cause I am monopolizing the thread 😂

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Trying to build a winning team is not the same thing as saying priority number 1 is winning.

Here's the thing. If we don't make the playoffs next year is Adams out of a job? 4 years no playoffs.

Whats the statistics of a GM missing the playoffs for 4 years and still having a job?

I think the Pegulas really like Adams so he might get a 5th year but man its looking like it better be one hell of an off season.

Thats my last post here cause I am monopolizing the thread 😂
As long as he keeps spending as little as he can…Adams is safe.

that is their #1 priority

DustyZ

Dec 2, 2022
Do you notice that this team can't play against teams that have any kind of bite.

Ottawa, Florida, Carolina, Philadelphia come to mind. Sure there are others.

They have a bunch of smaller forwards they've drafted who aren't exactly going to help in this regard

It's scary to think how far we may still be away from being a legitimate Stanley Cup contender.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bendium

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Do you notice that this team can't play against teams that have any kind of bite.

Ottawa, Florida, Detroit, Philadelphia come to mind. Sure there are others.

They have a bunch of smaller forwards they've drafted who aren't exactly going to help in this regard

It's scary to think how far we may still be away from being a legitimate Stanley Cup contender.

Thank god that the Sabres managed to get lucky and beat Detroit three times!

The problem is the team can’t play slow hockey.

DustyZ

Dec 2, 2022
I don't really want to make a big deal of the first priority is winning thing because I really don't care.

Obviously we're not ready yet, there's still more simmering to take place and more ingredients to be purchased at the store.

We're looking to move Hinostroza, we're rolling with UPL, getting a decent dose of Quinn and Peterka, rolling out Power and Dahlin like they're robots. That's all fine. I like it for the most part.

But let's not pretend. Apparently Anderson can't be moved because of family issues which I was unaware of, but if we need to move others, why would we stop with Hino?

Are Okposo, Girgensons part of the future here?

Maybe they're worth keeping simply because there won't be enough in return for either, or maybe one or both will be in the lineup next year because we feel they're needed. Or maybe they're concerned about the team becoming even softer without either in the lineup.

I personally would never remove Olofsson from this team. Just too elite of a weapon. Unfortunately I fear that's not the mindset of the management group here. But they know better I'm sure.

Anderson is done after this year anyway I guess, so that will be taken care of.

Last edited:

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
This would be much easier if the front office stopped punting seasons. Last years off season additions continue to be front office malpractice that continue to handcuff having a likely hart and norris nominees on what is still looking like a non playoff team.

Reactions: HaNotsri and JLewyB

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019

Ottawa, Florida, Carolina, Philadelphia come to mind. Sure there are others.

If winning was a priority, we would have made a move already this season. It is going to cost something. The job of the GM is to pay from assets that won't hurt us to lose, as much as what we gain helps. KA can't be afraid to make moves to improve the team. (I am not suggesting stupid all in moves that are only short term.) The current prospect pool will not fill in the holes in the team. You will have to trade some excess asset types for deficient asset types.

If your not improving, your losing ground.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
This would be much easier if the front office stopped punting seasons. Last years off season additions continue to be front office malpractice that continue to handcuff having a likely hart and norris nominees on what is still looking like a non playoff team.
It's called job security. I could understand the mentality before the season... but here we are in January and still in the hunt and the only thing Adams can talk about is development and growing instead of pushing for playoffs.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
If winning was a priority, we would have made a move already this season. It is going to cost something. The job of the GM is to pay from assets that won't hurt us to lose, as much as what we gain helps. KA can't be afraid to make moves to improve the team. (I am not suggesting stupid all in moves that are only short term.) The current prospect pool will not fill in the holes in the team. You will have to trade some excess asset types for deficient asset types.

If your not improving, your losing ground.

All of this is correct......but I feel like I need to add this context:

Prices in the off-season are generally quite cheaper than in-season. Like a whole piece or two cheaper. Especially on the things we need (physicality, 3rd-pair Dmen).

I don't blame KA one bit for paying inflated prices on pieces that might possibly maybe help us get to the playoffs so we can get obliterated in 5 games. Him waiting until the offseason to get these pieces a bit more cheaply makes sense to me.

Reactions: Dex

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad