Sabres Number One Priority Is Winning

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
All of this is correct......but I feel like I need to add this context:

Prices in the off-season are generally quite cheaper than in-season. Like a whole piece or two cheaper. Especially on the things we need (physicality, 3rd-pair Dmen).

I don't blame KA one bit for paying inflated prices on pieces that might possibly maybe help us get to the playoffs so we can get obliterated in 5 games. Him waiting until the offseason to get these pieces a bit more cheaply makes sense to me.

The front office showing they are committed to anything other than a budget friendly team would go a long way, IMHO. I'm not saying go balls out and trade the next 3 1st rounders. We have 3x 2nd rounders and more forward prospects that we can realistically develop long term, however. Finding that good two way middle six center and a RHD to push Lybushkin down to limited minutes would go a long way

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
The front office showing they are committed to anything other than a budget friendly team would go a long way, IMHO. I'm not saying go balls out and trade the next 3 1st rounders. We have 3x 2nd rounders and more forward prospects that we can realistically develop long term, however. Finding that good two way middle six center and a RHD to push Lybushkin down to limited minutes would go a long way

Extending Tage and Sammy didn't prove to you they're committed to spending when wanted/needed???

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Extending Tage and Sammy didn't prove to you they're committed to spending when wanted/needed???

The extensions are both dice rolls to save money (and cap space) later. The early returns on the TT extensions look excellent, however.

That doesn't change the team has a likely Norris and Hart nominee on their team, clear needs to address, and the means (in draft capital, prospects, and cap space) and, to this point, have taken no steps to address it other than a single waiver claim.

Reactions: Bendium

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Here's the quote from Don Granato from last week:

“The message we want to send is we’re in it to win the next game, so when we feel it conflicts with that, decisions will be based (on) winning,” said Granato. “The other tier right under winning is we know we have to get better.

"Development, we feel, is hugely impactful to winning more consistently. We have four guys that don’t need waivers. At this point, we’ve shifted day-to-day with that thinking of Quinn and Peterka stepping back as a developmental opportunity. When will we feel that’s not a development opportunity? That’s when we’re going to have another decision to make. ...

"So, we’ll keep going day-to-day but not lose sight of our number one priority, winning, and number two being that development and maximizing development will help us win more."

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
No, I am only making my statement based off of the sabres saying winning is their number one priority.

I thought they said letting the team gel and grow together was their number one priority.

As for your statement GMs get fired for doing nothing. Maybe Adams is different but heat is gonna come down sooner or later.

Do you see any 4-5-6 defenders in the pipeline for next year?

This is Adams third year not making the playoffs. If Adams doesn't do anything and we don't make the playoffs next year will he still have a job? How many GMs can go 4 or 5 years without making the playoffs? At least it will be comforting for him to know other GMs didn't make trades too.
Yes. He will have until next year unless some fantastic collapse and losing streak which I don't believe dahlin will tolerate.

Every week there is a new biggest game that the kids encounter..

This Islanders game is HUGE as a pressure release for the entire team if they win. Both teams will definitely be trying at a playoff level intensity. Hopefully this helps after the letdown recently.

If the team can win this Islanders game and the majority of the upcoming Leafs , Tampa , Carolina ,wild , jets , flames panthers bruins games.. win the rematches and at least beat Tampa.. I will believe they have the stones and the stamina to win the majority of March and April, making the playoffs.

Any discussion about Donny or Adams future is really not worth it , until they play the next block of games, as a litmus revealing the current state of the team.

I'm hoping they step up realizing the gravity of these moments.

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
The extensions are both dice rolls to save money (and cap space) later. The early returns on the TT extensions look excellent, however.

That doesn't change the team has a likely Norris and Hart nominee on their team, clear needs to address, and the means (in draft capital, prospects, and cap space) and, to this point, have taken no steps to address it other than a single waiver claim.
I hate this argument over and over again. NOBODY IS MAKING MOVES RIGHT NOW. it's due to have many teams are still in the playoff mix and how many teams are tight to the cap. Few moves get made before trade deadline day.

IMO the issue with most of this fan base is that patience. They were and still are a bubble playoff team. I don't see the point in spending a bunch of draft capital for a bottom 6 defensemen to maybe get us into the playoffs.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Based on everything that I've seen, from the front office, and from the coaching staff, there are two different goal priorities going on.

I would say the front office sees development the #1 priority for the season, as they have positioned themselves and their roster to not block any players ready to contribute to the team. With winning being the obvious end game being the #2 priority. If winning was the #1 priority for them, the investment into their goaltender situation, when they are over 39 million in cap space would've been handled a lot differently.

With the coaching, while I do think it has changed from earlier in the year, there seems to be more in-game lineup decisions in line with trying to win/not lose the game, than there are for development purposes. I'm seeing Granato putting out the Okposo line more than a line like Mittelstadt's (something I swear he did a ton earlier in the season) in some opportunities to close out a game. It doesn't seem like he's putting players in situations as often as he once did to see how they handle it. I think the high point of the season with that 8-1-1 run in December may have changed things for Granato and how he views this season.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
According to the Coach the number one priority is winning. The number 2 priority is development.

Has it always been this way under Granato/Adams or has it changed recently?

It would seem like the players need this messaging. Do what it takes to win.

Edit:

Granato: "So, we’ll keep going day-to-day but not lose sight of our number one priority, winning, and number two being that development and maximizing development will help us win more."

The bottom line is the Sabres are $18 M below the cap, and that's before even factoring in Bishop's contract. This team had no design on winning first at all or wouldn't have a $23 million handicap. Personally, I don't think even the Sabres believed their team would be THIS GOOD offensively. Who did?

After the season starts, moves get hard to do without shipping out prospects and stuff, but we could have easily bought a $5 M D -man on a two-year deal without major long-term cap implication, signed somewhere better than Vinnie and even added an extra depth centre to take faceoffs. Kids would have still got plenty of games in, but management (and that includes Terry Pegula) was not ready for that type of commitment and millions of losses this year.

The team is still fourth last in attendance with 75% capacity, but we have seen crowds swelling for big games (not just Ryan Miller night), and I really don't think that was expected this year.

My problem is not Granato. It is ownership and to a degree Adams. They have to take a leap and make a few moves to compete, and we will finish the season strong and get even better crowds.

I am NOT, REPEAT NOT, talking Tim Murray moves unless we got a D-man or depth player with lots of term. But we have effectively four second picks if you count compensation for Ryan Johnson. I would seriously trade at least of them not belonging to Flyers for some depth, along with rights to Portillo.

Firsts and prospects are a different story. You need serious term of team control (maybe three years) to start dropping Rosen, Savoie, Kulich or any guys into a major deal.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
IMO the issue with most of this fan base is that patience. They were and still are a bubble playoff team. I don't see the point in spending a bunch of draft capital for a bottom 6 defensemen to maybe get us into the playoffs.

I think responses like what we're seeing on this board was always going to happen the millisecond we showed signs of not being a bottom 5/10 team. When a team goes 10+ seasons without making the playoffs in a league where half the teams (or more) make the playoffs, there is going to be a severe hunger for a playoff team as soon as the team shows any sign of maybe possibly being able to make it.

I don't blame the fans in general for being impatient. Just like I can't blame the team for asking for just a little more patience. I very much feel like Adams knows that this team isn't playoff-worthy yet.....and making a move for a bottom 6 D isn't going to get us there.

Hell, making a move for Chychrun or Ekholm isn't likely to get us there this year. Adams sees our complete lack of attention to detail in the defensive zone. Granato seems to be taking the approach that "they'll figure it out sooner or later" in that regard.

This team is developing as a young team does......offense first, then defense. This leads to rather extreme inconsistency from game-to-game.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
I hate this argument over and over again. NOBODY IS MAKING MOVES RIGHT NOW. it's due to have many teams are still in the playoff mix and how many teams are tight to the cap. Few moves get made before trade deadline day.

Yeah.

It's poker out there. Waiting on who will fold and then the war to see if tough vet Forward or 2nd pair D can fleeced without giving our future to another team out of impatience.
It would be interesting to see a playoff successful forward and former first pair added to this team , getting a stronger and more consistent effort by slightly changing the dynamic. But, probably not worth the cost until next year .

Reactions: stealth1

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
Do you notice that this team can't play against teams that have any kind of bite.

Ottawa, Florida, Carolina, Philadelphia come to mind. Sure there are others.

They have a bunch of smaller forwards they've drafted who aren't exactly going to help in this regard

It's scary to think how far we may still be away from being a legitimate Stanley Cup contender.
Kulich and another similar player next year will solve that or force the current guys to finish checks and win those games along the wall.. We've improved.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Based on everything that I've seen, from the front office, and from the coaching staff, there are two different goal priorities going on.

I would say the front office sees development the #1 priority for the season, as they have positioned themselves and their roster to not block any players ready to contribute to the team. With winning being the obvious end game being the #2 priority. If winning was the #1 priority for them, the investment into their goaltender situation, when they are over 39 million in cap space would've been handled a lot differently.

With the coaching, while I do think it has changed from earlier in the year, there seems to be more in-game lineup decisions in line with trying to win/not lose the game, than there are for development purposes. I'm seeing Granato putting out the Okposo line more than a line like Mittelstadt's (something I swear he did a ton earlier in the season) in some opportunities to close out a game. It doesn't seem like he's putting players in situations as often as he once did to see how they handle it. I think the high point of the season with that 8-1-1 run in December may have changed things for Granato and how he views this season.

The more I think about it, the more I think that the goals aren't as misaligned as you lay out.

I think the 8-1-1 streak kind of forced Granato's hand in that he has to at the very least talk like this season is about winning and at least play the veterans to close out games to make it appear like he's trying to win now. I think Granato knows deep down that this team isn't a playoff team......but he doesn't want to say that lest he lose the room. He's still trotting out the top line and Cozens with 28 and 21 to close out games. He's given the Jost line opportunities at the end of games to close it out. The only think he's not doing is playing Quinn and Peterka late in games when we need a goal. I think other than trying to instill a defensive system....Granato is handling this "in between" quite well.

Reactions: stealth1

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
The more I think about it, the more I think that the goals aren't as misaligned as you lay out.

I think the 8-1-1 streak kind of forced Granato's hand in that he has to at the very least talk like this season is about winning and at least play the veterans to close out games to make it appear like he's trying to win now. I think Granato knows deep down that this team isn't a playoff team......but he doesn't want to say that lest he lose the room. He's still trotting out the top line and Cozens with 28 and 21 to close out games. He's given the Jost line opportunities at the end of games to close it out. The only think he's not doing is playing Quinn and Peterka late in games when we need a goal. I think other than trying to instill a defensive system....Granato is handling this "in between" quite well.
I don't think there's is necessarily a huge gap of that misalignment between the two levels in the organization, just a difference of goals for the team within their roles.

Reactions: Zman5778

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Kulich and another similar player next year will solve that or force the current guys to finish checks and win those games along the wall.. We've improved.

Kulich is not an overly physical player. He's a smallish puck pursuit player in the mold of Peterka who has an excellent shot.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He looked like he was winning battles and digging out pucks in world juniors better than many of our current young forwards and didn't avoid contact..
I certainly haven't seen him much.

Right, he's doing that against 18 and 19 year olds, not 20-something NHLers. He's not physically mature and doing that in the AHL against players who are fully developed. He's going to need time to get to that and even then, he's not a large framed player which means he's going to get out massed and out muscled.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

I'm not sure anything could of been done with goaltending... the pickings were slim and unsurprisingly the shitty team got the shitty goaltender

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I'm not sure anything could of been done with goaltending... the pickings were slim and unsurprisingly the shitty team got the shitty goaltender
Without having an idea of who was available with other GMs, of course as fans we won't know if anything COULD'VE been done, but when you are a team expected to have quality draft picks in each round going into the season, and you have a bunch of cap, that you could've weaponized by taking a contract on, I think they could've been more proactive and creative to address the goaltending, especially since they had decided having 3 options for the goaltending was the route they wanted to go.

End of the day, if winning meant ANYTHING to Adams, they would've made sure their goaltending options would be better than what they have.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Without having an idea of who was available with other GMs, of course as fans we won't know if anything COULD'VE been done, but when you are a team expected to have quality draft picks in each round going into the season, and you have a bunch of cap, that you could've weaponized by taking a contract on, I think they could've been more proactive and creative to address the goaltending, especially since they had decided having 3 options for the goaltending was the route they wanted to go.

End of the day, if winning meant ANYTHING to Adams, they would've made sure their goaltending options would be better than what they have.

We TRIED to weaponize our cap space. We TRIED to get proactive and creative with the goaltending thing.

Remember, there was a trade in place for us to get Matt Murray and 7OA (so we would have had 7 and 9 OA).

Matt Murray said no.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
Right, he's doing that against 18 and 19 year olds, not 20-something NHLers. He's not physically mature and doing that in the AHL against players who are fully developed. He's going to need time to get to that and even then, he's not a large framed player which means he's going to get out massed and out muscled.
I definitely got, I'm certain your correct. Depending on injuries and his experience playing against men , which I have not witnessed. I obviously defer to all of you guys who have way more knowledge, first hand about these players.
You and about twenty others on both boards offer knowledge and opinion, that I don't know.
Hopefully we won't get to see kulich in buffalo this year ,as it would mean injuries or we are out of contention.. After watching him against large ( u20 kids) defenseman, he understands leverage and positioning and can read or feel , but I'm a dilettante and watched only two games..
I'm basing my thoughts that he could help this team sooner than later on his attitude in the one interview I watched., I thought (as does he) that he might be like UPL ( only becomes engaged fully w new challenges).

He may surprise those scouts and others ready to marinate him and cook him at 350 for the proper two years , You're right his size and metrics say that
Not comparing him (except for size) but Merchant. ( I'd rather punch him than use him as a favorable como. ) Is only 5'9 and lighter than kulich.
How has he looked in Rochester,? I've only seen a little.
I guess I'm alluding to his unshakable quiet confidence and his perseverance and compete. Our need may give him that shot. Can you see him or anyone in the cupboards that can fill that role or at least push those on the roster to finish checks and forecheck at least w the passion of okposo, girgs.

As far as others , I think you said Nadeau was way too raw.

Outside , I knew someone related by marriage to Timo Meier ( the said he was an honorable guy). Is he toast? Tok expensive..

I guess I'm trying to understand Adams and see , like everyone else , Can We get two forwards and a 2nd pair Samuelson to free up Power and a third pair w jojiharu , can Johnson from Michigan can be enticed ( and is he any good? ) In March.

This team is close but needs some guys that can play hockey And set a physical tone and wins battles against big teams forcing us to dump it in, consistently .
Unlike the partial miss of well meaning booskin are smart enough to eat 12 to 15 that the other team absolutely dreads getting beaten up without the zebras having a field day..

I'm curious what all of you lifers here think as , I believe this team a year off w this roster if they all add strength and impose their physical will in the cozens direction..

No chychyrun and keep all of the tiny toys that score in case the middlings on our team can't step it up or stay healthy.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022

Do you think upper management buys that excuse when they are about to fire a GM for missing the playoffs?

I bet no GM has ever saved his job with that excuse so why should we buy it?

Do you know what its like reading your post about having patience when we have missed the playoffs so many years in a row we now own the record? Pegula's 3 year plan was so long ago no one is left on the time from that statement 😂

Also what exactly is "a bunch of draft capital" for a bottom 6 defender? What do you think they get traded for? Most get traded for a 3rd round draft pick. Is that a bunch of capital to you?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad