Value of: Sabres need an NHL-calibre goalie

tunaboy

Dec 22, 2016
fleury should be the man to take us to the playoffs ,how to get it done is another thing

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Is it really the goalie or Buffalo having a shallow Blueline? Curious.

It's the goalies. Under Kreuger, Buffalo was solidly above average last season across the board at every team defensive metric (and top 10 in a number of categories).

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Mitts, Miller
for
Raanta

Replace Miller with Borgen in our lineup and Yotes hope they find a steal in Mitts. Yotes get a recent top 10 pick and can probably move Miller for a mid round pick at the deadline to replace their lost pick(s)

**(unless we find out hutton or ullmark will be back shortly of course)**

Can't send in another year on Jack and risk him quitting on us and can't send in a year trying to keep Hall long term. Just bite the bullet.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Whatever happened to Ukko Pekka Luukkonen and why was he in the ECHL last year when the Sabres have no real goaltending depth whatsoever?

Nothing, he's 21 and developing? He was in the ECHL because he was coming off a double hip surgery and because he was 20 and developing. He's been doing good in Finland this season.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Blue line isn't perfect but they are competent. Montour, Risto, and Miller we can debate how good or not good but i wouldn't call them stiffs by any means. Rather have a true 2 with Dahlin and Risto to second pair but there are about 12-15 teams may something similar on their team.

Goalie is the issue. I can make a real case Buffalo 18 have outplayed NJD's 18. But the goalie issue is what make one team with a good record and one with a lousy record.

Reactions: Team Cozens

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
Koskinen + 3rd for Sam Reinhart

Read the damn OP, it's literally in bold: The Sabres are willing to trade draft picks (up to top-15 protected first, or multiple seconds), but not core roster players

Also, lmao no

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
NHL caliber and starting goalie are two different things.

We got Lindgren. Played 24 NHL games. He's available for picks.

We got Allen, not tradeable right now but why on earth would we trade him for a mid round first.

Saying NHL caliber means little. Asking for a very good starter is going to cost more then a pick.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
NHL caliber and starting goalie are two different things.

We got Lindgren. Played 24 NHL games. He's available for picks.

We got Allen, not tradeable right now but why on earth would we trade him for a mid round first.

Saying NHL caliber means little. Asking for a very good starter is going to cost more then a pick.

Again it's literally in the OP, read the last sentence:

The Sabres are willing to trade draft picks (up to top-15 protected first, or multiple seconds), but not core roster players, so we aren't looking for superstar-calibre goalies, just goalies who are around the NHL average.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Koskinen + 3rd for Sam Reinhart

Can Reinhart play goal? Besides being horrible value for Buffalo that’s about as bad as it could get needs wise for Edmonton. We’d be left without an NHL caliber goalie. Who’s the solution, Howard?

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

the issue right now is concern around Hutton getting hit in the 2nd and being replaced in the 3rd along with Ullmark apparent leave of absence for unknown reasons leaving buffalo with a goalie issue.

Whatever happened to Ukko Pekka Luukkonen and why was he in the ECHL last year when the Sabres have no real goaltending depth whatsoever?

UPL is in yr 2 of his ELC. He was loaned to Finland team to start the season. He’s their future starter in 23/24. He likely stays over there till their season is over. He’s Likely playing back up in 21-22 and 22-23. They drafted Portillo in 2019 who is playing foruniversity of Michigan.

the goalie playing the 3rd is Jonas Johansson a 2014 pick.

unlike others, .I think JJ can play a backup goalie role in the nhl and could play games but hasn’t gotten much of a chance.

this off season buffalo has to decide on a short term goalie to bridge to UPL. Both Hutton and Ullmark are UFAs this summer. JJ can be a group 6 UFA this summer if he doesn’t play enough.

I see them looking to sign a goalie to a 3-4 yr extension for next year. It could be Ullmark.

I disagree on the goalies being the problem.

I think the Sabres biggestproblem us actually getting more offense. Last season in regulation when the team scored 2 or less regulation goals they had an awful record. When they scored 4+ they had a very good record. Scoring 3 they were slightly about 500.

the Sabres D is decent. They have 2 UFAs this year in Mccabe and Montour. They have a strong prospect D pool.Dahlin and Jokiharju start their 3rd nhl season so there shoukd be growth in their game.

if they were to acquire a vet goalie it likely involves Montour or Miller going the other way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad