Confirmed with Link: Sabres have signed Lawrence Pilut (LD, HV71)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
So we have the top scoring forward and defenseman from the shl coming over?

Top goal scorer and top scoring defenseman.

He's not a graceful skater, maybe a little choppy, but he gets to where he wants to go quickly. He's not shy about contact, though he's not a bruiser. I'm really hoping this happens, he'd be a fine add.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
So we have the top scoring forward and defenseman from the shl coming over?

Well leading goal scorer (Olofsson was 8th in points).

Pilut was the leading scorer for defenseman with 38 points in 52 games. Seems Pilut was the leading scorer on his entire team too which should be a good sign.

Looks like Pilut is a lefty shot LD that can skate, stick handle, and shoot. Hopefully it translates to the NHL.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

He's not a graceful skater, maybe a little choppy, but he gets to where he wants to go quickly. He's not shy about contact, though he's not a bruiser. I'm really hoping this happens, he'd be a fine add.
That description reminds me of Afiniginov

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
One thing I'm sure he and Antipin both wish they didn't have in common - Pilut was also the recipient of a dirty hit that saw him carted off on a stretcher with a neck brace and wound up with a concussion from it.

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
So, he'll likely start in Rochester to get accustomed to the smaller rink? Maybe get a callup depending on his showing there?

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Great pick up. Adding a free asset with out costing us anything that could potentially be a 2nd or third pairing defenseman is big.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
@Chainshot

If this signing happens. I think it’s getting safer to say they won’t rule out the smaller dmen on draft day. Smurfs will rule the world.

I'm keen that they dug out a UDFA who was successful at a good pro level. It doesn't mean he'll necessarily make it, but I appreciate them making the play.

It's also cool to get someone who was on the radar for a number of other teams (Friedman's quote was "Boston, Calgary, Chicago, Nashville, Vancouver and the Rangers").

Reactions: struckbyaparkedcar

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls

He's efficient with his skating. He moves in straight lines rather than graceful turns. It's quicker to stop and change direction than it is to make a turn but requires more energy. Lazy players do the swooping turns. Clever stick handler like Reinhart. Hannu Virta respawned.

Last edited:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
He's efficient with his skating. He moves in straight lines rather than graceful turns. It's quicker to stop and change direction than it is to make a turn but requires more energy. Lazy players do the swooping turns. Clever stick handler like Reinhardt. Hannu Virta respawned.
A+ for Hannu Virta reference

Last edited:

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the possible. Add as much talent and skating as we can. I’d love for it to all be big guys but .....
any improvement is fine by mean, as long as it's not the profile you are targeting. Obviously, #1 overall is a game-changer, but you need big/mobile guys as well.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
This is the type of move that Botterill needed to make. An early 20's defensemen in a men's league who led them in points, and also has good offensive instincts. Keep them coming. Gut this team!

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
This will be a nice gust of wind for the sails if confirmed. I didn't think we'd be in the conversation for this guy, but maybe our defensive ineptitude is finally starting to pay some dividends. Yay inadequacy!

My only reservation stems from Housley's handling of Antipin, who strikes me as a similar mold. Of the many Housley criticisms, that's the biggest one for me from a more strategic, rather than tactical, standpoint. The language barrier excuse has never truly flown IMO. I've seen several defensemen succeed who weren't fluent speakers. I've even seen more than one succeed despite being legally deaf. What's the point targeting these types of players if the coach won't play them or at least give them a decent window to sink or swim? And this is even discounting the fact that I liked what I saw from Antipin while deployed.

Time will tell, but adding talent (and shedding no-loads) is this offseason's job #1, and this is a good start to that if true.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
any improvement is fine by mean, as long as it's not the profile you are targeting. Obviously, #1 overall is a game-changer, but you need big/mobile guys as well.

I think the profile has been good skaters with skill and they haven't worried about size. In our situation trying to land those types of players with UDFA. Smaller skill guys are generally the gems out there.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Hold your horses, his agent says it is down to three clubs, no decision yet.

Be very happy if he signs with us!

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Toby Enstrom and Anton Strahlman say "hi".
There seems to be some polarization of my thoughts. My response was to drafting small players, not this signing. By all means, bring in these little guys via FA out of europe and ncaa - that's fine. But draft the big/mobiles guys and not more of something you can get nearly developed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad