Confirmed with Link: Sabres have signed Lawrence Pilut (LD, HV71)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
It’s really not.

Using Tennyson is proving my point. He was AWFUL. Beaulieu was AWFUL. McCabe was AWFUL But he refused to play a guy who wasn’t awful because he was the one transitioning to the league.

Sound familiar to what I said?
Ya.. so the behind the scenes issues must’ve been really bad if he played so many awful players ahead of him.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
It’s really not.

Using Tennyson is proving my point. He was AWFUL. Beaulieu was AWFUL. McCabe was AWFUL But he refused to play a guy who wasn’t awful because he was the one transitioning to the league.

Shouldn't base what the team should do off of Housley's idiotic mistakes. The supposed reason Antipin kept getting scratched was because of the language barrier. Aren't most Swedes fluent in English? Looking at his twitter right now and he has multiple posts and re-posts in English.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
It’s really not.

Nothing of Antipin’s situation is of any relevance to Dahlin. The players are so many levels apart in ability that it’s pointless to try to make these parallels

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
One advantage Pilut has culturally is clearly familial. His English is top notch so that at least won't be an impediment to his game.

Throw him in during pre-season, see how he stacks up. If he shows he can handle it, throw him in some more. And if he falters, work with him on what it is that he's not doing right and that might involve time down on the farm.

Once they make things official, it'll be interesting to hear both his thoughts and those of the front office on what they see as his probable role for next season. He seems like he should be in the mix for the top third pairing going into camp, barring any further roster moves, and if not, then he's probably the one of the best recall options out of Rochester. It wouldn't be a bad thing if he takes a development curve a bit like Sorenson with the Sharks -- season 1 was mostly with the Barracuda, but some games up with SJ, then season two was mostly up with the big club and now he's part of their working depth in the playoffs.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Guhle and Pilut start in Rochester. Antipin signs in the KHL. Beaulieu stays as depth.

Scandella - Ristolainen
Dahlin - Bogosian
McCabe - Nelson
Beaulieu

Guhle, Pilut, and Borgen developing in Rochester. All of a sudden defense looks strong. Hopefully Bogosian can give us 60+ games next year.
No chance they put Dahlin on the AHL bus. Kid was dominating men last year, why would they want to burden him with the AHL goons? And I hope Pilut wins the depth D spot over Bealieu, if he is SHL D of the year he should be good enough to be better than Bealieu already - but unlike Dahlin this is probably more wishful thinking on my end rather than actual expectations.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
One advantage Pilut has culturally is clearly familial. His English is top notch so that at least won't be an impediment to his game.

Throw him in during pre-season, see how he stacks up. If he shows he can handle it, throw him in some more. And if he falters, work with him on what it is that he's not doing right and that might involve time down on the farm.

Once they make things official, it'll be interesting to hear both his thoughts and those of the front office on what they see as his probable role for next season. He seems like he should be in the mix for the top third pairing going into camp, barring any further roster moves, and if not, then he's probably the one of the best recall options out of Rochester. It wouldn't be a bad thing if he takes a development curve a bit like Sorenson with the Sharks -- season 1 was mostly with the Barracuda, but some games up with SJ, then season two was mostly up with the big club and now he's part of their working depth in the playoffs.
I doubt he comes over to play in Rochester. Sabres or scratched, just like Antipin

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Since maybe not everyone clicked the artice in the Dahlin thread I repost this here:

Question:
The Sabres are rumored to be signing 22 year old and 2018 SHL defenseman of the year, Lawrence Pilut. Do you envision Pilut in the NHL this season and what are some things he can bring to the Sabres blue line?
Jokke: Pilut may need a short stint in the AHL but I think he’s good enough to play most of next season in the NHL. Pilut has a good package of offensive tools at his disposal. He’s also smart defensively but will need to add some muscle over the summer to handle puck battles at the NHL level. Pilut is a puck-moving defenseman but he played big minutes in all situations in the SHL because he’s such a smart player. He’s great at running a power play from the blue line, and I think he’s capable of doing that in the NHL as well. I’m a fan of Pilut, and I think he’s a better prospect than Andreas Borgman for example who received a lot of hype last year because he signed with the Maple Leafs.

Bearbait

Mar 4, 2011
I'm still lobbying for Beaulieu on the 4th line wing, let him stand in front of the net and deflect pucks in. And be a safety valve if a d man goes down in a game. He certainly can't be any worse than some of these other bottom 6 I've seen lately.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
If he can skate, move the puck, and is smart, that's good raw material. I can care less about a skill that he can run the PP in SHL. Most teams only use 1 D man on the point, so this is a slot reserved for one of your top 2 offensive guys. The sabres need a guy who can get to pucks quickly in the d zone, make a quick decisions, and move the play up ice quickly. He needs to also be able to win puck battles - which isn't always a strength thing. All of this needs to occur on a lesser pairing/reduced minutes role. Icing on the cake would be a good PKer.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
If he can skate, move the puck, and is smart, that's good raw material. I can care less about a skill that he can run the PP in SHL. Most teams only use 1 D man on the point, so this is a slot reserved for one of your top 2 offensive guys. The sabres need a guy who can get to pucks quickly in the d zone, make a quick decisions, and move the play up ice quickly. He needs to also be able to win puck battles - which isn't always a strength thing. All of this needs to occur on a lesser pairing/reduced minutes role. Icing on the cake would be a good PKer.

He's smart? He made countless plays each game that make you question his hockey IQ. Not to mention that while he can skate and pass, he doesn't see the ice surface to create offense to the point some viewed him coming out of St Johns. He's been garbage his entire career in the D zone. I thought perhaps with a different coach and regiment he'd improve, he hasn't. He's still a bag of raw offensive tools with no well rounded game. He'll be 26 this upcoming season. Bye Booloo.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I'm still lobbying for Beaulieu on the 4th line wing, let him stand in front of the net and deflect pucks in. And be a safety valve if a d man goes down in a game. He certainly can't be any worse than some of these other bottom 6 I've seen lately.
I would be down with that. He's one of the only truly physical players on the roster and he has an absolute cannon from the blueline. He's a total pylon of a defenseman but if a somewhat decent 4th line forward could salvage his career I'm all for that. We've been needing a replacement for Foligno since he got dealt.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
He's smart? He made countless plays each game that make you question his hockey IQ. Not to mention that while he can skate and pass, he doesn't see the ice surface to create offense to the point some viewed him coming out of St Johns. He's been garbage his entire career in the D zone. I thought perhaps with a different coach and regiment he'd improve, he hasn't. He's still a bag of raw offensive tools with no well rounded game. He'll be 26 this upcoming season. Bye Booloo.
Pretty sure he's talking about Pilut

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Or just don't play him because he sucks. I can't see him being a good 4th line winger.

Reactions: Eichel15

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
This would be a intriguing signing. Especially with the antipin experiment failing (no fault to him). I hope this gets finalized soon.

Reactions: Mittelstadt

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Pilut cut from Swedish squad today since they used the last roster slots on Nashville/Pittsburgh players instead. Soon we'll know!

I think it's great he got to stay as long as he did, given how relatively young he is. As an aside, what's the scoop on Wikstrand? He's got what, 2 years left on his deal with Farjestad?

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I think it's great he got to stay as long as he did, given how relatively young he is. As an aside, what's the scoop on Wikstrand? He's got what, 2 years left on his deal with Farjestad?
Ottawa holds his rights until he's 27. His brother is well from his leukemia now, so he's prepared to go to the NHL but suspects Ottawa will hold onto his rights. Good interview with a blogger: ”Min bror är min största förebild i livet” - SHL-bloggen
Need to sleep now, will translate this quote tomorrow:
Jag försökte maila dem och berätta exakt vad som hade hänt. Jag försökte ringa och prata med dem, men det lät inte som att de köpte det och då kände jag att jag hade fått mycket skit för att jag hade stuckit hem. Jag hade fått mycket om att jag ville vara nära mamma och att jag var ”mammas lilla gullegris” och någonstans där kände jag väl att om jag går ut i media och berättar exakt hur det ligger till så kanske folk får en bättre förståelse. Det fick nog många också, men alla har nog fortfarande inte fattat varför jag stack hem.

Reactions: Chainshot
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad