Sabres Goat-lending (Capra fenerantis): The Other, Other Elephant in the Room

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

I know post integration and the RVH is a hot topic.

Keeks (former Toronto goalie coach Steve McKichan) is the king of RVH Fail and in here he drills the use of the RVH and talks about the pros & cons of the various ways to integrate with the post.

Member 308457

Just bring up Luukkonen already. He can't be any worse than what we've got. He doesn't need to go to the Amerks. I remember Barrasso's first years. He started with the Sabres when he was only 18 years old, right out of high school. I think he did fine.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Just bring up Luukkonen already. He can't be any worse than what we've got. He doesn't need to go to the Amerks. I remember Barrasso's first years. He started with the Sabres when he was only 18 years old, right out of high school. I think he did fine.

Barrasso was an outlier. It is a bad idea to make decisions based on what outliers did over 30 years ago.

I really, really, really hope that the Sabres slow cook him and don't rush him to the NHL because of a perceived immediate need in net.

This team isn't a rookie goalie away from being a contender.

And save me the Binnington takes. He had over 200 AHL games under his belt prior to his run last season.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
At this point, I'm ready for him to be the #1. Hutton is what he is. Ullmark could improve. Maybe if that falls flat UPL will be putting heat on the starting position in Buffalo by January.
Agreed. Let Ullmark get into a starter's routine and try to get on a roll. It doesn't feel like that will happen though with this staff seemingly not wanting to make any changes or try anything different...

Reactions: k8prisoner

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
UPL should be in Rochester at the end of this season and nowhere near the Sabres.
You don't throw him to the wolves in the NHL and expect him to learn in BUF, but you also don't keep him somewhere on principle. My view is he makes the promotion a no-brainer, that his numbers are so good in Roch and an opportunity exists in the NHL.

Reactions: k8prisoner

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
You don't throw him to the wolves in the NHL and expect him to learn in BUF, but you also don't keep him somewhere on principle. My view is he makes the promotion a no-brainer, that his numbers are so good in Roch and an opportunity exists in the NHL.

UPL is a rookie coming off of double hip surgery in the offseason that gave him a late start to his pro career.

Slow cooking him and making sure he is healthy is the way to go.

And given the injury, I wouldn't want him playing more than 30-40 games this season total.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
UPL is a rookie coming off of double hip surgery in the offseason that gave him a late start to his pro career.

Slow cooking him and making sure he is healthy is the way to go.

And given the injury, I wouldn't want him playing more than 30-40 games this season total.

Putting aside slow cooker recipes, certainly him in Buffalo is a long shot.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Which will come first: Ullmark does from the workload, Hutton wins a game in regulation, someone gets called up from the Amerks to play in net?

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Who will be the starter next season? Ullmark or a UFA-to-be-signed? Holtby, Marstrom, Lehner are some of the notable UFAs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad