Sabres Goat-lending (Capra fenerantis): The Other, Other Elephant in the Room

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
So last summer, Hutton was signed to a three year deal to mentor, groom and protect Ullmark from the rigors of his first year in the NHL. They enjoyed a small blip of success in an obviously unstainable save percentage run that helped key the 10-game winning streak, but they fell far and hard for the rest of the season. They are among the worst in high-danger scoring chance save percentage. They are among the worst in save percentage in general. This needs a deeper dive. If there is an area that could be a subtle improvement, just getting league average goaltending could mean 3-5 more wins a season, let alone getting good goaltending.

In the drive to find a center to make up for the crater at 2C, or shuffle out the sludge from the middle 6, or find non-terrible defensemen who aren't being asked to play too many minutes against too much competition... this is the "other" other elephant in the room.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
My biggest concern is Ullmarks regression. He started to employ those bad habits that he showed early in his career (lack of focus, forward leaning torso vs staying upright, too scrambly relying on athleticism vs a calm demeanor letting the puck come to him). I thought he had fixed many of these things as he developed in Rochester (the eye test told me so). Goalie coach problem? He needs to get back to the basics and regain some confidence this offseason. I'm not as concerned with Hutton if the defensive play from both D & F's gets 'fixed' and they stop leaking high danger chances against.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
New HC, new goaltending coach, improve the roster and a defensive system that cuts down the number of high danger opportunities are all hopefully things that drastically improve the goaltending.

I don't think signing a Bobrovsky and keeping everything similar to last season moves the needle at all.

I don't mind giving this tandem one more year as long as the other aspects I mentioned are all addressed.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I would like to fire the goalie coach into the sun, strapped to Marco and Vlad. The confusion of fundamentals, the consistent issues from Lehner and Johnson to Hutton and Ullmark in the reverse VH technique... like, something is rotten there.

That said, should they be looking at a personnel move? I'm not thinking big-money Bob is the guy, but should they be looking more actively to find a reliable tender this summer? I'm leaning that way.

FYI: Capra fenerantis is "goat lender" in my terrible latin.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
New HC, new goaltending coach, improve the roster and a defensive system that cuts down the number of high danger opportunities are all hopefully things that drastically improve the goaltending.

I don't think signing a Bobrovsky and keeping everything similar to last season moves the needle at all.

I don't mind giving this tandem one more year as long as the other aspects I mentioned are all addressed.
My worry is that while we do need improvement here, there are underlying things which suggest that we could be top 10 in these areas and still have a significant goalie problem.

We were firmly average in raw numbers of anything you can really measure and apply weights to in the defensive zone this year, even with all of the gaffs.

The goalie situation will scare me indefinitely at this point

Reactions: Chainshot

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I would like to fire the goalie coach into the sun, strapped to Marco and Vlad. The confusion of fundamentals, the consistent issues from Lehner and Johnson to Hutton and Ullmark in the reverse VH technique... like, something is rotten there.

That said, should they be looking at a personnel move? I'm not thinking big-money Bob is the guy, but should they be looking more actively to find a reliable tender this summer? I'm leaning that way.

FYI: Capra fenerantis is "goat lender" in my terrible latin.
I just don't think any UFA's are really going to move the needle until the roster/system/coaches get fixed...are Varly, Mike Smith, Talbot etcetctec (slim pickings are UGLY) going to stabilize the 'tending? I think they need to ride it out this season and hope (pray) UPL has a Carter Hart like quick development curve. I sure as heck don't want to trade any assets for 'goalie voodoo'

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
My worry is that while we do need improvement here, there are underlying things which suggest that we could be top 10 in these areas and still have a significant goalie problem.

We were firmly average in raw numbers of anything you can really measure and apply weights to in the defensive zone this year, even with all of the gaffs.

The goalie situation will scare me indefinitely at this point

Yeah, they suck at both HDSC saves and non-HDSC saves. Cutting down on chances isn't going to stop them from being way, way below league average in both of those areas. It's likely that they are still going to give up stupid bad goals and untimely "gee that would've been a nice place to have a save but the guy had a great chance" goals.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I just don't think any UFA's are really going to move the needle until the roster/system/coaches get fixed...are Varly, Mike Smith, Talbot etcetctec (slim pickings are UGLY) going to stabilize the 'tending? I think they need to ride it out this season and hope (pray) UPL has a Carter Hart like quick development curve. I sure as heck don't want to trade any assets for 'goalie voodoo'

I want to black bag a good goalie coach.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site

This is where I am at. Who is the goalie to come in and be that "reliable guy". None of the UFA options seem viable.

That is why I would like to shore the other aspects up first, see where the improvement is at and try UPL the following season if he progresses well next season in the AHL.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I thought the Sabres goaltenders looked mentally and physically exhausted by the end of the season. I think at a certain point in the season they threw in the towel. They didn't maintain their fitness level and they didn't prepare for games as thoroughly as they did in the beginning of season. The team in front of them could have been better, but that's no excuse for not showing up prepared to play.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
I thought the Sabres goaltenders looked mentally and physically exhausted by the end of the season. I think at a certain point in the season they threw in the towel. They didn't maintain their fitness level and they didn't prepare for games as thoroughly as they did in the beginning of season. The team in front of them could have been better, but that's no excuse for not showing up prepared to play.

Hutton pretty much said something similar at the end of the season. That they were pretty much shell shocked by the amount of high area chances that consistently came at them. He said he would prepare differently coming into next season.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
So, is it safe to assume that nothing is changing next year and the light at the end of the tunnel relies upon speedy and successful goalie development? Awesome

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
Hire a head coach with a system that actually sort of works with our roster and I bet goaltending gets a bit better..... that said a new goalie coach will prolly be here anyways considering the circumstances

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Firing the goalie coach should’ve been done right after Housley. Any head coach candidate that thinks Allen is a quality coach, should disqualified a him as a candidate.

Find a head coach that can utilize the goaltenders better than what we’ve seen. Starting a goaltender based on play instead of results, and being able to read when a goaltender is getting overworked should be an important quality as well.

Next up, install a system, and improve the coaching of the all players to suppress high danger/quality chances.

At the bottom, I’d look for changing the goaltenders on the roster. Goaltending can be better, but the room we gave other teams should’ve never happened. I’m willing to give them at least another season.

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
My kingdom for a slightly above average goalie. I know there’s the standing argument that spending high $$ on goalies is a waste of money. But good Christ, could we use someone that could spark the players in front of him.
Oh yeah. Fire the SOB that was supposed to be coaching them. Like...yesterday.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
I saw both goalies make the same fundamental mistakes - like having their skate tucked on the outside of the post, thus preventing them from pushing off to defend wrap around attempts. Or not using a reverse VH when protecting the post. Each started strong and got worse as the season wore on, it was almost as if the longer each player listened to our coaching, the worse they got.

upload_2019-5-14_21-50-37.png

Couple that with Lehner's comments about the effect that positional coaching had on his personal game, and I'm all about seeing this duo again next season without our toxic staff bringing their play down.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Let's see... goaltending coach for the 2012-2013 Oilers was holdover Frederic Chabot, currently dev coach for the Wild. Rats.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Sabres new goaltender coach

250px-Davewatsonwiki.png

David Watson (born 10 November 1973) is an English former professional footballer who played as a goalkeeper for Barnsley and the England under-21 team. He currently works as a goalkeeping coach for Southampton.

Reactions: N.Y. Orangeman

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Sabres new goaltender coach

250px-Davewatsonwiki.png

David Watson (born 10 November 1973) is an English former professional footballer who played as a goalkeeper for Barnsley and the England under-21 team. He currently works as a goalkeeping coach for Southampton.

I almost went to the "can't be any worse"... almost.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
I think our future starting goalie is UPL or someone not on this team. I hope they don't make any long term commitment with Ullmarks next contract. His fundamentals tend to deteriorate over time and under pressure. A new goalie coach should help. It's just a wait and see next year how much it improves.

Reactions: WYFR

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2