Sabres Goat-lending (Capra fenerantis): The Other, Other Elephant in the Room

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Ullmark will get 60+ starts, Hutton takes a pure back-up role. No UFA signings. Season after that it's Ullmark and UPL.

I hope Botts can do what's necessary (I know, it's funny) and find a taker for Hutton, even if we have to retain 1 mil to get it done. He's not even a competent backup.

Buying him out is also an option. it saves 1.85 in 2020-21, at the cost of 900k in 21-22

I like Ullmark as a mid range starter over the next few years as we bring UPL along. But Hutton has to go if we are serious about winning. He's never going to be playing in front of a St Louis style defensive team... so he's not worth losing 15 games a year on just because he's under contract.

Keeping Hutton reminds me of 08-09 when Lalime was toast... we missed the playoffs by 1 Point... Lalime went 5-13-3 that year. Now I'm not very hopeful that we're headed in the right direction, but if by some miracle this roster takes a step forward next year... I'd hate to waste starts on a goalie that's toast.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I hope Botts can do what's necessary (I know, it's funny) and find a taker for Hutton, even if we have to retain 1 mil to get it done. He's not even a competent backup.

Buying him out is also an option. it saves 1.85 in 2020-21, at the cost of 900k in 21-22

I like Ullmark as a mid range starter over the next few years as we bring UPL along. But Hutton has to go if we are serious about winning. He's never going to be playing in front of a St Louis style defensive team... so he's not worth losing 15 games a year on just because he's under contract.

Keeping Hutton reminds me of 08-09 when Lalime was toast... we missed the playoffs by 1 Point... Lalime went 5-13-3 that year. Now I'm not very hopeful that we're headed in the right direction, but if by some miracle this roster takes a step forward next year... I'd hate to waste starts on a goalie that's toast.

Or bury him in Rochester next year to mentor UPL...

That would save the cap hit in 21-22 even if you save less in 20-21.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I’d strictly start Hutton against bottom feeders. He’s in his own head. It’s a confidence thing. Potentially not recoverable. If he can’t shake it, send him to Rochester where he can at least play well. He’d be a good mentor for UPL.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I’d strictly start Hutton against bottom feeders. He’s in his own head. It’s a confidence thing. Potentially not recoverable. If he can’t shake it, send him to Rochester where he can at least play well. He’d be a good mentor for UPL.

I think that's the worst idea. I'd rather waste Hutton starts on teams we're likelier to lose to rather than blow the points we should be banking.

Reactions: Vito_81

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Or bury him in Rochester next year to mentor UPL...

That would save the cap hit in 21-22 even if you save less in 20-21.

I'm open to that idea... but are we sure he'd be a good mentor? I do not think he'd handle being waived well... not a lot to go on to come to that conclusion, but it is my impression based on post game interviews after losses.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I'm open to that idea... but are we sure he'd be a good mentor? I do not think he'd handle being waived well... not a lot to go on to come to that conclusion, but it is my impression based on post game interviews after losses.

All the Hutton & Ullmark stuff I've seen and Hutton's InGoal Radio podcast interview leads me to believe that Hutton is a good mentor.

Now how he would handle getting sent to the AHL after this season is a whole other conversation.

I would expect that the Sabres would talk to Hutton about the situation and feel him out before pulling the trigger on something.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
All the Hutton & Ullmark stuff I've seen and Hutton's InGoal Radio podcast interview leads me to believe that Hutton is a good mentor.

Now how he would handle getting sent to the AHL after this season is a whole other conversation.

Yea, big difference in how you handle a split load with a young goalie in the NHL... and how you'd handle a demotion

I would expect that the Sabres would talk to Hutton about the situation and feel him out before pulling the trigger on something.

Back to Botts trying to find a trade partner

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Who fills his spot.

And based on that chart MIN might be in the market for a goalie

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I'd be a fitting end to Botts' tenure if he traded Hutton back to STL for Jake Allen, followed by Allen turning back into the pumpkin he was from 2017-19, and Hutton turning it around with the Blues. It just has all the ingredients, right down the trade partner that marked the beginning of the end of Botts in July 2018. *chef's kiss*

Reactions: Chainshot

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I think that's the worst idea. I'd rather waste Hutton starts on teams we're likelier to lose to rather than blow the points we should be banking.

that strictly a confidence point of view.

from a team stand point, I’d only start Hutton on b2b’s. Ullmark get all the rest

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Who will be the starter next season? Ullmark or a UFA-to-be-signed? Holtby, Marstrom, Lehner are some of the notable UFAs.

I keep getting this sinking feeling that Botts is going to bail LA out and go trade for Quick to instill him as the starter until UPL is ready.

Not that it would make any sense whatsoever. Might even be a fireable offense if he pays a significant piece. But I just get this feeling...........I hope it's gas.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
I keep getting this sinking feeling that Botts is going to bail LA out and go trade for Quick to instill him as the starter until UPL is ready.

Not that it would make any sense whatsoever. Might even be a fireable offense if he pays a significant piece. But I just get this feeling...........I hope it's gas.
If Ullmark keeps playing like a number one, there is no chance Botts would do that. Maybe if we didn’t have 6K waiting in the wings.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
I am absolutely not confident in that belief.........
I have been very frustrated with Botterill this year (and last). But IMO there’s no way he would want to take on that contract if we have Ullmark doing a fine job on the cheap... there is a lot of money coming off the books this year but Botts isn’t that dumb.. right? Look now you’ve got me second guessing :help:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

As far as Quick goes, I'm sure that LA would trade Quick for Hutton in a heartbeat. That fact should give Botts serious pause.

The good thing is that he will likely be too preoccupied adding RHD this offseason to worry about a move like that.

:sarcasm:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

As far as Quick goes, I'm sure that LA would trade Quick for Hutton in a heartbeat. That fact should give Botts serious pause.

The good thing is that he will likely be too preoccupied adding RHD this offseason to worry about a move like that.

:sarcasm:

Quick’s contract though. Bleh. Bleh.

Edit: and then factor in his performance and age… Oh God it’s the worst of all worlds.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Quick’s contract though. Bleh. Bleh.

Edit: and then factor in his performance and age… Oh God it’s the worst of all worlds.

Exactly.

$3M more per year and two years longer than Hutton's deal.

To this point, Botts has stayed away from paying big for goaltending. I won't be shocked if that trend continues.

Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

It will be interesting if Botts can get someone like Halak or Greiss on a reasonable two year deal to replace Hutton.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00